PDA

View Full Version : CA ID Question

Gofasterdammit
10-30-2010, 7:42 AM
I changed my name legally in the beginning of September, went to DMV and applied for a new DL. DMV punched a hole in the expiration date on my original DL. They gave me a paper DL with my new name on it. I was supposed to have the updated DL weeks ago (applied on September 6th) but I have received nothing in the mail. My question is will my original ID (old name), my paper ID (new name), and the county name change decree (signed and stamped by a judge) be enough to start a DROS?

jtmkinsd
10-30-2010, 11:41 AM
I changed my name legally in the beginning of September, went to DMV and applied for a new DL. DMV punched a hole in the expiration date on my original DL. They gave me a paper DL with my new name on it. I was supposed to have the updated DL weeks ago (applied on September 6th) but I have received nothing in the mail. My question is will my original ID (old name), my paper ID (new name), and the county name change decree (signed and stamped by a judge) be enough to start a DROS?

Depends on the FFL really...is the "paper ID" an "interim" DL? If so, it cannot be accepted as a valid ID

This is from the DOJ website:

16. Does California law permit the use of a temporary license as a form of identification for firearm purchases?

Neither temporary driver's licenses nor temporary identification cards are accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

(PC Section 12071 (c)(1)).

Since your old ID is no longer valid, your new ID is a paper "temporary" ID, I would say you're out of luck till your new ID gets to you.

E Pluribus Unum
10-30-2010, 12:18 PM

Are you pre-op or post-op? ;)

I'm sorry, but you are "hosed" until you get a valid, actual ID.

ricksOe
10-30-2010, 5:27 PM
Are you pre-op or post-op? ;)

That's harsh.. funny but harsh.

tenpercentfirearms
10-30-2010, 7:01 PM
I would not accept that as ID. I would only accept a hard CA DL, CA ID, or military ID with duty station orders.