PDA

View Full Version : Which San Diego FFL will do intrafamily transfer

stom_m3
10-30-2010, 6:38 AM
Looking for an FFL in SD who will perform an intrafamily transfer. Please let me know if anyone has had any success here. Thanks,

Steven

onebadmutha
10-30-2010, 7:16 AM
i may be mistaken, but i do believe for IMMEDIATE family (mom,dad,son,daughter,etc...)no FFL transfer is required. A simple "bill of sale" will release you from ownership...

can someone verify...

9mmlaw
10-30-2010, 7:19 AM
i may be mistaken, but i do believe for IMMEDIATE family (mom,dad,son,daughter,etc...)no FFL transfer is required. A simple "bill of sale" will release you from ownership...

can someone verify...

That is only if both are residents of the state. If the gun is coming from out of state, need to use an FFL.

Fyathyrio
10-30-2010, 7:49 AM
I used De Chiel Firearms (http://www.dechielfirearms.com/) when I did a transfer last year. Wasn't family, but shouldn't matter. He's in Chula Vista and had a fair price.

stom_m3
10-30-2010, 5:58 PM
I used De Chiel Firearms (http://www.dechielfirearms.com/) when I did a transfer last year. Wasn't family, but shouldn't matter. He's in Chula Vista and had a fair price.

I'm curious to know if he'll do an out of state, non rostered handgun via intrafamily? I'll have to give him a call. Thanks,

steven

Crom
10-30-2010, 9:43 PM
I recommend Gusslers in Santee, he'll do it.

jtmkinsd
10-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Looking for an FFL in SD who will perform an intrafamily transfer. Please let me know if anyone has had any success here. Thanks,

Steven

+1 for gussler's

rugershooter
10-31-2010, 12:48 AM
I did one with Fine Firearms in La Mesa about a year ago. Highly recommend them.

Flintlock Tom
10-31-2010, 12:50 AM
If it's a transfer from mother/grandmother or father/grandfather to child/grandchild, then no FFL is needed just file a form with DoJ with $19. If it's any other relationship, Uncle, brother, spouse, it needs to go through an FFL as a private party transfer: $35, and any FFL can and must do it.
OpLaw/Intra-familial transfer (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)

bwiese
10-31-2010, 1:06 AM
If it's a transfer from mother/grandmother or father/grandfather to child/grandchild, then no FFL is needed just file a form with DoJ with $19. If it's any other relationship, Uncle, brother, spouse, it needs to go through an FFL as a private party transfer: $35, and any FFL can and must do it.
OpLaw/Intra-familial transfer (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf)

That's ONLY if the transfer is in state.

A CA FFL is required if the gun is coming from out of state, and many FFLs don't know/are too scared of doing Roster-exempt interstate intrafamily transfer.

stom_m3
10-31-2010, 8:08 AM
+1 for gussler's

I've asked Gussler's about 1yr ago and he said he wouldn't do non-rostered handguns. Has something changed? I've used him in the past. I'll give him another call too.

steven

dantodd
10-31-2010, 10:42 AM
A CA FFL is required if the gun is coming from out of state, and many FFLs don't know/are too scared of doing Roster-exempt interstate intrafamily transfer.

This refrain is becoming all too common. The FFLs are required to provide a service as an agent for the state. But through obfuscations in the law and FUD from the state agency that regulates the service many of the FFLs will not fulfill their legal obligation which directly hinders our ability to exercise our 2A rights. This is all too common when it comes to PPTing a black rifle, or Interstate intrafamilial transfers of off roster handguns.

I understand the fears of some of the FFLs but these are services they are REQUIRED to do and if the laws are so confusing or the BoF is intentionally scaring them away from doing such transfers something needs to be done.

Librarian
10-31-2010, 11:08 AM
This refrain is becoming all too common. The FFLs are required to provide a service as an agent for the state. But through obfuscations in the law and FUD from the state agency that regulates the service many of the FFLs will not fulfill their legal obligation which directly hinders our ability to exercise our 2A rights. This is all too common when it comes to PPTing a black rifle, or Interstate intrafamilial transfers of off roster handguns.

I understand the fears of some of the FFLs but these are services they are REQUIRED to do and if the laws are so confusing or the BoF is intentionally scaring them away from doing such transfers something needs to be done.

I suspect lack of knowledge is part of the problem.

I think we can provide a 'cheat sheet' for them - the law parts are easy; can someone with the DROS software walk through the process and provide screen shots of each step that is 'out of the ordinary'?

ETA - first draft attached, .doc file

Crom
10-31-2010, 3:51 PM
Librarian, that is a very nice document.

jtmkinsd
10-31-2010, 5:10 PM
I've asked Gussler's about 1yr ago and he said he wouldn't do non-rostered handguns. Has something changed? I've used him in the past. I'll give him another call too.

steven

Intrafamilial transfers? Known of him for a few years...never had someone come back and say he wouldn't do it.