PDA

View Full Version : New to real firearms

bluebird
10-29-2010, 9:31 PM
I am going to turn 18 in a week and I am looking for a place in NorCal (preferably near Sac/Davis area) that I can take some kind of gun safety class and rent a rifle. Since I'm totally new in real firearms I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Do I need to obtain some kind of license before I can rent a rifle?

2. I heard that some ranges do not sell rifle ammo to anyone under 21 because they feel uncomfortable. Is that true?

3. Do I need someone over 21 to accompany with me?

I used to play airsoft and I played a paintball game half a year ago. I understand handling a real firearm is totally different and safety is very important. I hope you can guide me through the steps so that I can become a more mature person while also enjoying shooting guns. Thanks a lot =)

bjl333
10-29-2010, 9:54 PM
Welcome to Calguns !!!

Joe
10-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome to calguns.

I have to make my girlfriend a grilled cheese sandwich *queue cracking whip sound* but to answer your questions..

1. No license is necessary
2. That may be true but I never had a problem with that when I was under 21.
3. You will either need to bring someone else or your own gun or they likely wont rent to you. Ranges don't rent to people by themselves due to suicide I think.

Also, some ranges require you to be 21 to even use them at all. Most don't but some do. Search around calguns and you'll find friendly, good ranges in your area. Most ranges also don't typically stock many(if any) rifles for rental, they carry mostly handguns.

You cannot buy a handgun yet but can buy a rifle or shotgun once you are 18.

Welcome again! tons of great info here. Search around and join the sickness =D

HK4113
10-29-2010, 10:10 PM
I am going to turn 18 in a week and I am looking for a place in NorCal (preferably near Sac/Davis area) that I can take some kind of gun safety class and rent a rifle. Since I'm totally new in real firearms I would like to ask a few questions:

1. Do I need to obtain some kind of license before I can rent a rifle?

2. I heard that some ranges do not sell rifle ammo to anyone under 21 because they feel uncomfortable. Is that true?

3. Do I need someone over 21 to accompany with me?

I used to play airsoft and I played a paintball game half a year ago. I understand handling a real firearm is totally different and safety is very important. I hope you can guide me through the steps so that I can become a more mature person while also enjoying shooting guns. Thanks a lot =)

1. No although ranges don't normally rent rifles in a rifle caliber. Which leads you to a problem in buying the ammo.

2. Ranges cannot sell handgun ammo to anyone under 21.

3. You need to be in a party of 2 or more usually to rent a firearm, if it is a firearm that shoots a handgun caliber then usually a range will require someone in your party to be 21 or over.

Call the range in advanced for accurate info.

bsg
10-29-2010, 11:17 PM
welcome to the forum.

maxwellca21
10-30-2010, 12:40 AM
when i turned 18 i bought my first rifle (because you have to be 21 to buy handguns). got myself a cheap savage fxp for $99 and started from there.

Sajedene
10-30-2010, 2:06 AM
Welcome to the forums!

You came to the right place and are starting off on the right foot. Don't be discouraged with the limitations that our great state has set in regards to you "testing before buying" which is the smart thing to do.

Go with some friends who are of age and rent to try. I came here to Calguns as a new shooter as well with no one to really go with or talk to or learn from and lets just say that the guys and gals here have now filled that void. I am sure plenty here will eventually be your friend and will be more than happy to go with you. That was the case for me.

See you around!

only10x
10-30-2010, 4:08 AM
welcome aboard!
read read read followed by ask ask ask and repeat as necessary (especially the read part)
you have 100s of years of experience on this forum with tons of threads coving almost any question you can think of.
plinking, hunting, competitive shooting is covered.
take a look around, visit every section and see what attracts you. Big warning label though. Watch out for the marketplace :D sure way to the poor house :D
cheers !

Big Jake
10-30-2010, 6:27 AM
Welcome to our sick little world my friend! :D

bluebird
11-01-2010, 8:58 PM
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Do you guys have any idea if there are any friendly ranges in NorCal that would rent rifles to people like me? Thanks again =)

BayAreaShooter
11-01-2010, 9:11 PM
Welcome to the forum. Everyone pretty much covered you questions so good luck and welcome to the shooting sports.

rkt88edmo
11-01-2010, 9:23 PM
Check the appleseed schedule, nm, here it is:
http://appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule2.php
Nov 13-14 your destiny awaits you. Maybe call the organizers and see about a loaner rifle and maybe meeting them beforehand to get you up to speed safety wise. If not that date, they hit Sac regularly.

Ergo the Qualmed
11-01-2010, 10:05 PM
Hey man, welcome to the wonderful world of firearms!

I am a UC Davis student, actually, and since I moved off campus, bought an SKS (rifle) at the local Big 5...I also got my lovely Marlin 795 .22 rifle from a Big 5 back home...so if you want a great, cheap first rifle...there yeh go!

As for shooting up here, you have a few options. Firstly, there is/are a place/places in Vacaville; I cannot think of the name(s) off the top of my head, but I do know that rifles are allowed there. Now, whether or not they HAVE any centerfire rifles to rent is another thing entirely (I think they have a Mosin Nagant?), but ranges invariably have a .22 rifle or shotgun to rent, too.

You will not be able to rent anything by yourself--you need a companion, but if you have a gun, it counts as your "companion" usually. Also, no handgun rentals to people under 21. Being 19-20, I still have to bring my mom to the range... :/

ANYWAY, once you get your own gun, there is a range in Davis (which I will try to go to) called the Yolo Sportsman's Association. You need to bring your own gun though, IIRC.

I hope this info is factual and helpful. Also, I used to play airsoft when I was younger, not so much anymore. Since i started getting into Real Steel, the idea of pointing a gun (even a "toy") at someone is something I am reticent to do. Though, it did teach me gun safety, which is great, I suppose. And I used my leftover "arms" to teach my mom gun safety as well.

bluebird
11-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Hey I am actually a UCD Freshman =D
The problem is I cannot buy my own rifle right now since I am living in dorms, and I am planning to be an RA next year so purchasing a gun is not an option unfortunately =(

Does bringing a friend over 21 who never handled a gun count as a companion?

Anyways thanks for your info I really appreciate it =)

zod
11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Welcome aboard. Enjoy.

Ergo the Qualmed
11-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey I am actually a UCD Freshman =D
The problem is I cannot buy my own rifle right now since I am living in dorms, and I am planning to be an RA next year so purchasing a gun is not an option unfortunately =(

Does bringing a friend over 21 who never handled a gun count as a companion?

Anyways thanks for your info I really appreciate it =)

Another Aggie?! FTW! haha

Yeah, I understand entirely--I bought my .22 over xmas when i was home, and it lives there. Now, this is my second year, so off campus=win. I know some friends who are RA's this year, and I think you will enjoy it--though, they seem to have their hands full with all the hellions...that means you, i suppose hahaha...who is your RA btw, I may know them lol

At my local ranges, the 21+ needn't have any experience--I got my mom to rent a handgun for me, so i could show her how to use said handgun :D

Could be different up here, but I doubt it. Just as long as they don't grab the gun and wave it around at the counter making machinegun noises...they will probably make that person go out on the lane with you and also, depending on the place, charge you as if that person were shooting. and you prolly have to buy range ammo to use with range guns. And when in doubt, call the range, if you can get the #.

Also, if you have any questions regarding UCD or anything, feel free to PM me. i gotta say, finding another UCD'r on here is pretty cool haha