PDA

View Full Version : I have AR issuses!

Afterburnt
10-29-2010, 9:33 PM
Issue one: I did something pretty stupid with my Colt Sporter RAW. I was installing a cheek piece that bolted on through the butt plate. It came with a longer than stock screw for the installation. Well I started torquing down on the screw not realizing that I had the bolt locked open thus ran the screw into the end of the buffer, denting it nicely. After that f up I found that the bolt catch would no longer hold open on the Sporter RAW, I figured I must have tweaked the bolt catch. Well low and behold when I switched uppers (twice now) on the Sporter RAW lower the bolt catch worked fine. Fast forward to the issue, I am now using the the Sporter RAW stock, buffer, tube and spring on a featureless OLL and the bolt catch wont hold although it worked when I had a Sabre upper installed on the Sporter RAW lower with an offset pin and a DD big hole upper. Now I have the Sabre upper on the OLL lower with the Sporter RAW stock, buffer, tube and spring and the bolt catch wont hold. It appears that the problem is somehow related to the Sporter RAW stock, buffer, tube and spring. But that is just my guess. Anyone venture a guess as to what my problem is (with the gun that is)?

Issue two: This one should be easy. I switched a Miculek Brake to the Sabre upper for my featureless and put the Sabre flash suppressor on and Olympic HBAR that I had installed on the Sporter (It wasnt a RAW then but because of 1994 Fed Law, I had the bayonet lug milled off before isntallation) upper. I don't know if it is a crush washer that came from the Sabre but I cant get it indexed properly without really cranking it down. I think the last time I did something like this it was a peel washer which is pretty straight forward. I have never dealt with a crush washer and wouldn't know one if I saw it. Does anyone know if Sabre uses crush washers and if I should just put it in a vise and crank it until it is properly indexed?

Thank you for your time.
Bruce

PS I dont think (I hope) I have any other issues once these are resolved. I have two brand new uppers that need to get dirty. This thread would be worth less with pictures of me with my eyes bugging out!

Afterburnt
10-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Top: so I dont forget

B yond
10-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Pictures of the upper and lower would help.

JagerTroop
10-30-2010, 12:47 AM
Ok, easy part first... A crush washer is a flexible washer(convex on one side, concave on the other) that "crushes" as you tighten, to allow for indexing. They flatten out as you tighten. If it looks like this(below), then crank away :thumbsup:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/Crush%20Washer-2T.jpg

Now on to the tough one.
I can't see the bolt carrier being damaged by the bolt catch, so it's strange that a different upper works, but the RAW doesn't.

As well, I don't see how the buffer/spring would factor either. UNLESS, while tightening the stock screw (with the bolt locked back) you possibly bent the receiver extension(buffer tube). If it bent down (aiming the BCG up in the front), it may be barely missing the bolt catch.

Try this: Use the RAW lower, RAW upper, and a different receiver extension.
I suspect that this will cure your problem.

Also, try starting with the original configuration (that you originally damaged), and switch out ONE part at a time. Try a different BCG, then put the original back, and try a different receiver extension, etc. This will allow you to isolate the problem.

If there are any worn, gouged, scraped, or bent parts... take pics and post them up.

Anything will help.

Eli

neal0124
10-30-2010, 1:06 AM
Do you still have the cheek piece on that particular stock? Do you still have the longer than stock screw for the cheep piece in that stock? Sounds like the screw is protruding too far into the buffer tube and not allowing the buffer/bolt to cycle far enough to the rear to catch the bolt catch. Try removing the longer screw. Or you could shave some length off the end of the buffer (probably not the greatest of ideas, you want as much dampening as you can get).

JagerTroop
10-30-2010, 1:24 AM
Do you still have the cheek piece on that particular stock? Do you still have the longer than stock screw for the cheep piece in that stock? Sounds like the screw is protruding too far into the buffer tube and not allowing the buffer/bolt to cycle far enough to the rear to catch the bolt catch. Try removing the longer screw. Or you could shave some length off the end of the buffer (probably not the greatest of ideas, you want as much dampening as you can get).

I didn't think of the long screw still being in there.

OP -> if it is, take it out.

Do not shave down the buffer. If the screw is too long, ge a shorter screw. The buffer is that specific length for a reason.

stevie
10-30-2010, 7:21 AM
If that long screw in the stock is still there it may be hitting the bolt before the bolt is traveling the full rearward distance. Like others have said, remove that long bolt and put in the shorter bolt.

Afterburnt
10-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Wow I didn't think I was stupid enough to run that long bolt back in after removing the cheek piece but I was! Problem solved as well as the flash suppressor crush washer issue. Thank you folks for your help I would lost without you.

neal0124
11-05-2010, 10:40 PM
:D

Always look at the most simple things first.