View Full Version : Question about rear takedown spring.

10-29-2010, 4:40 PM
I am currently building a stripped lower, So i started to install the stock, along with rear takedown pin, spring, and detent, i tightened down the castle nut on the stock, which tightens down the plate on the spring. I noticed while adjusting the stock that the rear takedown spring was bent and mangled by the buffer plate which sits below the castle nut. I installed the detent first, then put the spring on top, is this correct?? Is there a tip on how to not mess this spring up while tightening the plate down. Maybe i just need to be more careful

Any info would help, this is my first build so im still new at this whole process.

10-29-2010, 4:43 PM
I just push the plate down while watching the spring. Then, while holding down the plate, tighten the nut. Kinda difficult to screw it up

10-29-2010, 4:55 PM
Sounds good, did i have it correct with the detent going in before the spring, the detent facing downward towards the takedown pin?

10-29-2010, 5:01 PM
Yes, the detent goes in first facing down, then the spring. The detent is what clicks into the slot on the pin and holds it in place in the closed position with the spring behind it providing the tension.

10-29-2010, 10:52 PM
Alot of first time builders have the same problem, so you aren't alone. Once you screw one up, hopefully you learned how not to do it. Best way is to remove the plastic stock from the tube. Then back off the castle nut to the rear. Slide the backing plate back. Screw the tube in to where it should be. Then put the pin and spring into the hole. Slide the backing plate to compress and retain the spring. While holding the backing plate up against the lower, screw the castle nut down.