PDA

View Full Version : Dumb SKS question

duckhunterflyfisher
10-29-2010, 4:20 PM
Can someone still buy a SKS in California? I would like to add either a Russian or maybe a Yugo to my collection. I heard they are on the ban list but i thought it was just certain components on the rifles that make them illegal and that some deals were removing them and shipping to california? Whats the true story.

KCDS
10-29-2010, 4:22 PM
big5 still selling yugo 59/66 but quite expensive

Trendkill
10-29-2010, 4:22 PM
You can hand a guy (non-dealer) cash for a russian sks and take it home on the spot....no background check...nada.

AK4me
10-29-2010, 4:24 PM
You can hand a guy (non-dealer) cash for a russian sks and take it home on the spot....no background check...nada.

Thats how I got mine.

Trendkill
10-29-2010, 4:28 PM
I will however let the OP know this only applies to the "Russian SKS" and not the other SKS type rifles.

duckhunterflyfisher
10-29-2010, 4:28 PM
then is there anyone who wants some cash for a Russian SKS? :D If so send me a pic and PM me.

Interloper
10-29-2010, 4:33 PM
I will however let the OP know this only applies to the "Russian SKS" and not the other SKS type rifles.

Not so.
There are Romanians and Yugos that are 50 years old. Others as well but they've become scarce.

Trendkill
10-29-2010, 4:34 PM
Not so.
There are Romanians and Yugos that are 50 years old. Others as well but they've become scarce.

You gotta be able to prove it.....

ETA....not with the Romanian , but with the Yugo. Which from what I understand is nearly impossible to determine date of manufacture.

Interloper
10-29-2010, 5:43 PM
You gotta be able to prove it.....

ETA....not with the Romanian , but with the Yugo. Which from what I understand is nearly impossible to determine date of manufacture.

So how is it that we CA C&R holders are getting these SKS's shipped direct to our front doors from out of state?

Answer:
The Yugo's are serialed with a year code, the Romanians are stamped with date of manufacture.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=333715&highlight=romanian

Trendkill
10-29-2010, 6:02 PM
So how is it that we CA C&R holders are getting these SKS's shipped direct to our front doors from out of state?

Answer:
The Yugo's are serialed with a year code, the Romanians are stamped with date of manufacture.

I know about the Romanians....but I thought all the information for the Yugo's were lost in a fire.

paul0660
10-29-2010, 6:10 PM
I have never seen a serial/date list for M59s, but here is the /66 info:

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w162/paul0660/yugochart.jpg

Trendkill
10-29-2010, 6:11 PM
Well 66 isnt CR yet is it..??

paul0660
10-29-2010, 6:16 PM
Nope, nor is m59 unless someone can scare up a date list for them. Supposedly they began production in 1960. Interloper was referring only to the Romys I think.

Trendkill
10-29-2010, 6:24 PM
Is there a difference between what a non CR holder can buy cash and carry from "Joe Shmoe"....and what a CR holder can have delivered to their house..??

paul0660
10-29-2010, 6:50 PM
In California, no. In fact, the 03 license means nothing for in state transactions of long guns 50 or more years old. It is a Federal license only, and what it does is allow said rifles to be sent across state lines to the holder. In state, non prohibited persons can buy said rifles without a license or FFL involved, and the transaction does not have to be face to face.

Bigtwin
10-29-2010, 7:45 PM

Answer:

^^this^^
I have missed a few good deals to buy FTF at the local gunshow for a Yugo, unfired....my fault though!

Trendkill
10-29-2010, 8:26 PM
^^this^^
I have missed a few good deals to buy FTF at the local gunshow for a Yugo, unfired....my fault though!

What if the yugo is 38 years old..???

pantera52
10-29-2010, 8:29 PM
What if the yugo is 38 years old..???
Gotta be 50

Trendkill
10-29-2010, 8:32 PM
Gotta be 50

I know...thats what Im sayin. Unless you really know your stuff Id play it safe and cash and carry a russian SKS , theres no such thing as a Russian SKS younger than 50 years old.

Not to mention...the Russians are the best anyways. ;)

PS....nice username.

pantera52
10-29-2010, 8:34 PM
I know...thats what Im sayin. Unless you really know your stuff Id play it safe and cash and carry a russian SKS , theres no such thing as a Russian SKS younger than 50 years old.

PS....nice username.

This is true.

Like wise with the username my friend

Interloper
10-29-2010, 11:32 PM

No disagreement here. Mine is a '53...the year the Monster died.

The Romy's are being sorted by age by AIM and CAI for Cali C&R sale. Since there are 59/66's being shipped C&R, I assume the same is happening there. If you can peg a Yugo at 50+ years old, the only issue is the grenade launcher. Some retailers bypass this by drilling holes in the G/L. I'm not sure where you would ever acquire a grenade to launch out of an M59/66...or a French M36/51 for that matter. I think if you had gone that far around the bend you wouldn't be complying with C&R, DROS or the NFA/GCA so it would be a moot point. I guess that same reasoning applies to all gun laws.......