PDA

View Full Version : IO Casar receier cover

Mail Clerk
10-29-2010, 2:13 PM
Hello to all,

Jut picked up my IO Casar AK today and gave it a good cleaning and oiling. However for some reason I can't get the receiver cover back on. Is ther some trick to this sinple task??? My Poly Tech isn't like difficult like this???:confused:

Mail Clerk

Noobert
10-29-2010, 2:33 PM
push on the spring, snap cover down?

MrPlink
10-29-2010, 2:41 PM
Just smash it on. Don't baby it.

metalstorm999
10-29-2010, 2:43 PM
set the front of the cover up where it needs to go holding the rear of the cover up off the button then drop the rear of the cover down while pushing the spring button inward slightly and it should snap in. it took me a couple tries but i got it figuerd out

Dutch Schultz
10-29-2010, 2:53 PM
The receiver cover was really tight on my Casar too, I just set it then give it a good smack and it pops right on. :)

SJgunguy24
10-29-2010, 3:09 PM
Take the AK fine adjustment (5lb sledge hammer) tool to that thing. If that doesn't work the 10lb finish hammer is the next step, when you done with that, that gun is pretty much finished.

Mail Clerk
10-29-2010, 5:53 PM
Just smash it on. Don't baby it.

MrPink,

I had to take a pair of pliers and bend the rear leading edge of the cover inward just a hair. It for some reason that shall hair of the edge was bumping into the slot that lowers the cover completely down so the locking lug/tag can engage the hole in the back.

Then I hit it good with my rubber mallet!!! It went in but still had to give it a good smack with the mallet.

It appears the whole cover is held in tension and not necessarily locked up using the lug/button.

Anyway it's on and all I need is ammo and some extra mags. Min came with a Tapco mag. Are these any good?? Also do you all know if Angeles allows ammo from Wolf??? I only use non-corrosive ammo in my toys and I heard all the opinions about Silver Bear and such ammo.

After cleaning and examinaning my new toy it appears to be slight crude rifle compared to my Poly Tech AK but everything appears to be fine. No bent barrel, No llose front sight, receiver cover is tight, rear sight is level and tight and most of all the bolt carrier appears to be smooth cycleing just like the Poly Tech version. I can't wait to get to the range.

Thank you all for your postings. See or meet you at Angeles:D

Mail Clerk

metalstorm999
10-29-2010, 8:57 PM
MrPink,

I had to take a pair of pliers and bend the rear leading edge of the cover inward just a hair. It for some reason that shall hair of the edge was bumping into the slot that lowers the cover completely down so the locking lug/tag can engage the hole in the back.

Then I hit it good with my rubber mallet!!! It went in but still had to give it a good smack with the mallet.

It appears the whole cover is held in tension and not necessarily locked up using the lug/button.

Anyway it's on and all I need is ammo and some extra mags. Min came with a Tapco mag. Are these any good?? Also do you all know if Angeles allows ammo from Wolf??? I only use non-corrosive ammo in my toys and I heard all the opinions about Silver Bear and such ammo.

After cleaning and examinaning my new toy it appears to be slight crude rifle compared to my Poly Tech AK but everything appears to be fine. No bent barrel, No llose front sight, receiver cover is tight, rear sight is level and tight and most of all the bolt carrier appears to be smooth cycleing just like the Poly Tech version. I can't wait to get to the range.

Thank you all for your postings. See or meet you at Angeles:D

Mail Clerk

check out these mags http://www.parallaxtactical.com/store/ak-products-37/magazines-68/7-62x39-69/ and as for ammo this is the best stuff out there http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM6408-1.html. I was telling someone earlier I've put two 640 rnd cases through my casar without one failure to fire or one failure to eject. it's also cleaner than wolf or any of the bear ammo.so there you go,hope it helps

valleyrat
10-29-2010, 10:05 PM
This is part of IOs failure to assemble these rifles properly. You need to reduce the length of the top cover by removing material from the front where it interfaces with the rsb.

bob_e95482
10-30-2010, 8:18 AM
My CASAR cover fit tight, I used a screwdriver to shoehorn it back into position.

Mail Clerk
10-30-2010, 8:41 AM
Valleyrat, bob e95482 and metalstorm,

Thank you for your postings regarding my IO Casar rifle. I'll look for a few extra parts (receiver cover) the next time I head to the next gun show. In the meantime I did get the cover back on but again I had to bent that leading edge a bit just engough to get it in the slot using a rubber mallet. How it went in I can't say but it got in their!!!! I even wonder how they assembled it at the factory.

OK now that 's solved I also need to get the gas tube more tighter. Mine rattles a little and the gas lever could be a little more tighter too. Has anyone had the same issue as I do??? Perhaps I can buy another gas tube that will work better. The lever I think can be remidied by using a little blue loc-tight.

All in all it seems to work cuz the barrel was pretty dirty with fouling anyway and so I gave it a good scrubbing with some god ol Hoppe's.

Let me know guys,

Mail Clerk

metalstorm999
10-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Valleyrat, bob e95482 and metalstorm,

Thank you for your postings regarding my IO Casar rifle. I'll look for a few extra parts (receiver cover) the next time I head to the next gun show. In the meantime I did get the cover back on but again I had to bent that leading edge a bit just engough to get it in the slot using a rubber mallet. How it went in I can't say but it got in their!!!! I even wonder how they assembled it at the factory.

OK now that 's solved I also need to get the gas tube more tighter. Mine rattles a little and the gas lever could be a little more tighter too. Has anyone had the same issue as I do??? Perhaps I can buy another gas tube that will work better. The lever I think can be remidied by using a little blue loc-tight.

All in all it seems to work cuz the barrel was pretty dirty with fouling anyway and so I gave it a good scrubbing with some god ol Hoppe's.

Let me know guys,

Mail Clerk

If your looking for some odds and end ak parts,I say you check this community out.http://www.akfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5 .they have a market place and there is always someone selling all kinds of misc. parts.

MrPlink
10-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Now that I think of it, a few months back I worked on a buddys Wasr that had this issue.
I just had to remove a small bit of material from the cover with a file. Took all of 2 minutes tops.

Mail Clerk
10-30-2010, 8:23 PM
This rifle will yield many small project to make it better. First see how it functions and then some small parts modifications. Don't want to spend too much money on this one. Just a good sound rifle is all I'm asking for.

Mail Clerk;)

MrPlink
10-30-2010, 9:29 PM
This rifle will yield many small project to make it better.

I think the beauty of the AK is that if the rifle is fundamentally sound, they are all more or less the same. No fussing over which twist rate, or how long of a gas system you should use, or your BHO feature not working correctly.

You get to focus on little things, minor tweaks ergonomics and aesthetics, with the comfort of knowing you cant really screw it up.

Fixer-upper projects on beater rifles definitely is a lot of fun.