PDA

View Full Version : pmags

centralcoastguns
10-29-2010, 1:39 PM
hello,

question: is it legal to own a pmag 10/20 or 10/30 that is blocked to only allow 10 rounds.

thanks for your help

Capt. Speirs
10-29-2010, 2:24 PM
hello,

question: is it legal to own a pmag 10/20 or 10/30 that is blocked to only allow 10 rounds.

thanks for your help

Alright, I will bite, yes!

"bad guys still have high capacity guns .... so the legislation is of no use"

Quiet
10-29-2010, 3:06 PM
hello,

thanks for your help

The law seems to say it's legal. [PC 12020(c)(25)(A)]

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

tenpercentfirearms
10-30-2010, 4:31 AM
Only if by blocked you mean permanently altered. If permanently altered, then they are legit. If a block of wood is in them and can be removed, then no.

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2010, 8:07 AM
Only if by blocked you mean permanently altered. If permanently altered, then they are legit. If a block of wood is in them and can be removed, then no.

Define; "permanently", please.

tenpercentfirearms
10-30-2010, 6:03 PM
Define; "permanently", please.

No thank you. I have yet to see a PC definition of it.

stitchnicklas
10-30-2010, 6:28 PM
pop rivets are not permanent and can be drilled out quickly

stitchnicklas
10-30-2010, 6:29 PM
also pmag is starting to produce 10/30 pmags at the factory,hard as hell to get but they are coming..

jtmkinsd
10-30-2010, 6:35 PM
pop rivets are not permanent and can be drilled out quickly

True...and a "welded" mag can quickly be cut back open with a dremel tool...generally, if you have to take a tool to the mag to take out the block, it's considered "permanent".

rbetts
10-30-2010, 7:29 PM
Beware of stores that want to sell you only blocked mags and not permanently alter mags. There are a few( 2 or 3 that I can think of right off hand) that are riding the super fine fence of legality at the moment and will sell you a 10/30 that has a delrin block or a plastic pin inside of it with easy access for you to change it out. NOT a good idea. Rivits, roll pins with blocks, or glue are all good.

THT
10-30-2010, 9:25 PM
Think of it in this reference: Would you want a DA able to convert your 10 round "legal" mag in a courtroom in front of a jury without tools? I can convert a PMAG that's been sealed with epoxy just by smacking it around on the floor which is why I drill a hole and drive a roll pin into the base plate, through the lip on the body and into the springplate.

kemasa
10-31-2010, 6:49 AM
Beware of stores that want to sell you only blocked mags and not permanently alter mags. There are a few( 2 or 3 that I can think of right off hand) that are riding the super fine fence of legality at the moment and will sell you a 10/30 that has a delrin block or a plastic pin inside of it with easy access for you to change it out..

You might want to take a look at CA PC 12020(a)(2), 12020(b) and 12020(b)(21).

12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be
manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or
exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity
magazine.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(21) The sale or purchase of any large-capacity magazine to or by
a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071.

The "manufactures" part could be a problem since they could claim that the change is manufacturing it.

The law was not written as they intended it, but such is the case for the 1 in 30 handgun exemption for modern firearms if the person has a C&R FFL and COE. The law has to be enforced as written, not intended, but you need time and money to do that. I doubt that you will find a FFL willing to push this issue though. I personally don't want free room and board and I suspect most others would not as well.