View Full Version : Question for FFL about the CA Roster on Gun Model Detail

10-29-2010, 12:17 PM
I was looking to get a S&W Model 629-6, internet purchase. The one I was looking at I contacted Smith And Wesson to make sure it is CA Compliant. The email note I got back from S&W customer service stated it should be CA compliant with no problem. It will be an internet purchase to my FFL from out of state to CA. The guns description at the store matches the CA Roster barrel length, and stainless, but no model description is on the roster. Just making sure this will go thru fine, and S&W's statement of CA compliant with exact SKU# should be accurate. This is the first time out of state purchase, someone told me the place that sold it would check before shipping it also. Just making sure as the roster on this barrel length is kinda vague. Thanks,

10-29-2010, 4:54 PM
The roster list is vague but S&W is current with their info. I'd trust what they told you.

10-29-2010, 6:02 PM
I would not count on the out of state seller checking to make sure that it is CA legal. It is hard enough for those of us in CA to check things out and those out of state don't really know all of the issues.

If you really want to know, you can call the CA DOJ and ask to talk to those who deal with the list and ask if the specific model is on the list. They should post the model numbers, but they don't.

10-29-2010, 6:30 PM
In his 1st post he said he contacted S&W directly and they told him it was on the Ca approved list...even down to the SKU number. He is not relying on the word of the out of state seller.

10-30-2010, 4:29 AM
I have dealt with this one before. First, if it isn't on the list that the CA DOJ puts out, I am not calling for clarification. So either the handgun says 629-6 on it or it doesn't. If they don't publish the SKU numbers, then I don't care what the SKU on the box says or doesn't say.

On this S&W you will open the cylinder and on the inside it will either say 629-6 or it won't. So if a 629-2 shows up to my shop, I would not DROS it for you. The only person that can positively answer this question for you would be the seller. Make sure that the seller understand that you can only buy a 629-6 (unless there are other 629s on the list) and that if anything else shows up, you will be sending it back on their dime.

10-30-2010, 7:34 AM
I was responding to "This is the first time out of state purchase, someone told me the place that sold it would check before shipping it also".

Some firearms are more unclear than others. S&W seems to be pretty good, but remember the grips can change the model and thereby not be on the list.

Capt. Speirs
10-30-2010, 8:03 AM
Example, Springfield 1911A1 Ambi Safety PX1901L, same gun without Ambi Safety PX1901. PX1901 is not on the roster, other than that, they are the same gun.

10-30-2010, 6:07 PM
One more thing, this confusion can go multiple ways. For example Ruger's are listed by their one type of number that is no where to be found on the handgun. If a customer came in and said it was a such and such model, I might just believe them. I am not a Ruger handgun expert and until the state trains me on identifying handguns, I will not be held accountable for their confusing list.

Again, you have some latitude here unless the exact model number is on the gun. The Smith & Wessons are pretty clear. If the grips change the model, but it still says 629-6 on it, I would still DROS it. I have no idea that grips change it nor do I care. If they want to make the list more clear, then I might do a better job of making sure the gun is or isn't on the list.

11-01-2010, 9:42 AM
Thanks Guys for all your imput, I was a bit worried due to how vague the CA list is. It arrived Saturday at my FFL's. We checked it in and he did the DROS and I was out the door in less than 1/2 hour. He said pretty much the same thing as you guys, if the box said 629-6 and my receipt said 629-6 and the gun said 629-6 and the list said 629-6 2.5". He said I will see you on November 9th after 2pm. He said the California list is kinda tricky sometimes but the gun I got he said was definitely on the list, no problem. Again I just wanted to thank all you guys for your replies, much appreciated!!