PDA

View Full Version : becoming a CA/NV resident

IrishPirate
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Anyone know what it would take to become a NV resident without giving up your CA residency too? here's what I'm thinking:

-buy some land in NV for dirt cheap (<$1000/acre in most places)
-get a P.O. Box related to that land

Is that enough to be able to get dual residency? I was told a P.O. box is all you need to buy guns in NV, but you have to have property in NV to get a P.O. box....anyone know if that's true?

I would actually use the land for camping, shooting, OHV, etc. too, but I'm not planning on putting a permanent residence on it just to be able to buy guns...

So, where are the flaws in the plan, and what are the loopholes that I'm looking for?

(If i had enough land and knew someone with a tractor, I'd set up a Calguns shooting range too :D )

SonoftheRepublic
10-29-2010, 1:17 PM
Sounds Great! Anyone else got info?

taperxz
10-29-2010, 1:23 PM
That used to work but not any more. You use to be able to get a seasonal residency ID card but now the gun shops won't honor them.

ravenbkp
10-29-2010, 1:26 PM
Yep as above the powers that be in Vegas blocked that loophole.

GrizzlyGuy
10-29-2010, 1:29 PM
I would actually use the land for camping, shooting, OHV, etc. too, but I'm not planning on putting a permanent residence on it just to be able to buy guns...

You wouldn't be able to legally buy guns in NV unless you were planning on making a home there. See the Federal Residency Requirements (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Federal_residency_requirements):

An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with
the intention of making a home in that State.

bwiese
10-29-2010, 1:30 PM
People get in trouble for this crap.

Residency is a lot more complex than just owning a piece of land or getting a DL.

I'd not try this crap unless you really DO live there part of the time.

gunsmith
10-29-2010, 1:41 PM
you can buy a gun with a po box, BUT! you need a DMV printout from a NV DMV that proves you live in NV.
In my case I had a NV ccw, a NV license both with po box and I still had to have DMV printout.

Interestingly when I tried to turn in my CA license they wouldn't take it.
The nice lady suggested it would make a great target!

taperxz
10-29-2010, 1:42 PM
People get in trouble for this crap.

Residency is a lot more complex than just owning a piece of land or getting a DL.

I'd not try this crap unless you really DO live there part of the time.

Actually, at one time this was not crap. Nevada, set guidelines for people who worked and or lived seasonally in Nevada. They had no problem with the seasonal ID's and gun buyers because they thought it was right to be able to buy guns legally in Nevada that people could not buy in CA. I remember on one of their web sites saying that it was the intent of the Nevada Gov. to provided these ID's so that season residents would not be deprived of rights available to them in Nevada.

Then, it think last year or the year before, Sac tells them they are going to sue them for allowing CA res. the ability to buy illegal guns in NV and bringing them back which IS a big No No. Nevada complied and ended the seasonal ID benefit for gun purchases.

CharlieK
10-29-2010, 1:43 PM
Can't have it both ways, especially where taxes are involved. Live in NV 6 months plus one day and you're a NV resident.

gunsmith
10-29-2010, 1:55 PM
they don't seem to really follow you for guns though, I've jumped back and forth a few times, what they really are looking for is voter fraud and insurance fraud, so if you decide to pursue this vote and get insurance here. Of course, do not bring any unlawful guns over to the dark side ( probably shouldn't sell any to the dark side too )

wellerjohn
10-29-2010, 2:35 PM
Received a seasonal ID in late January, they stopped honoring it to buy a gun a few weeks after:mad: Now the seasonal ID's are not being issued or renewed, you will have to choosed which state to have your ID issued from.

IrishPirate
10-29-2010, 3:46 PM
Actually, at one time this was not crap. Nevada, set guidelines for people who worked and or lived seasonally in Nevada. They had no problem with the seasonal ID's and gun buyers because they thought it was right to be able to buy guns legally in Nevada that people could not buy in CA. I remember on one of their web sites saying that it was the intent of the Nevada Gov. to provided these ID's so that season residents would not be deprived of rights available to them in Nevada.

Then, it think last year or the year before, Sac tells them they are going to sue them for allowing CA res. the ability to buy illegal guns in NV and bringing them back which IS a big No No. Nevada complied and ended the seasonal ID benefit for gun purchases.

that's pretty much what i heard too...sucks that it got stopped. what if i plan on having a residence there but not living there full time? Say i buy some land, put a small (very small) little house/cabin on it. I would have property and a house in NV right? I'd be a resident of both states right? why couldn't i take advantage of the rights i have in both states? I get the whole insurance and voter fraud thing, but if i'm just buying commerce that is legal to have, what's the big deal? I'm not stupid enough to bring AW into CA....but if i want a gun that's CA legal and i don't want to wait, or if i want an off roster handgun, what's wrong with buying it in NV if i have property/house there?

I'm asking because if it's legal beagle somehow, I'd be interested...but if it's just a total pipe dream, i want to know so that i don't waste my time and money, or end up doing something illegal. I'd like to buy the cheap land anyways, but if it's not going to benefit me as much as i think, then i'm not going to waste my time.

VTRweasel
10-29-2010, 4:01 PM
We have a family cabin in El Dorado county. I'm going to see if I can get a DL or ID card since I actually spend a lot of time there then apply for a CCW.

MasterYong
10-29-2010, 4:05 PM
California doesn't allow dual residency. I'm not sure about NV, but in CA it goes like this:

You're in CA, you have a house in CA, you live in CA.

You go to NV, have a house in NV but still have a house in CA, you live in NV (by CA's standards, don't know what NV thinks).

You go back to CA. You still have a house in both NV and CA, but you are now in CA. You live in CA.

Trust me I went to great lengths to figure out this crap when I moved to AZ last year. If you have a residence in another state and you're in that state CA doesn't care that you also have a residence in CA, you not a resident of CA while you're in the other state. They literally consider you a resident, then not, then a resident again each time you go back and forth. I thought it'd play hell on me paying taxes, but I was employed by a CA company the whole time working out of state as a consultant for another company. Worked out OK.

IrishPirate
10-29-2010, 4:15 PM
California doesn't allow dual residency. I'm not sure about NV, but in CA it goes like this:

You're in CA, you have a house in CA, you live in CA.

You go to NV, have a house in NV but still have a house in CA, you live in NV (by CA's standards, don't know what NV thinks).

You go back to CA. You still have a house in both NV and CA, but you are now in CA. You live in CA.

Trust me I went to great lengths to figure out this crap when I moved to AZ last year. If you have a residence in another state and you're in that state CA doesn't care that you also have a residence in CA, you not a resident of CA while you're in the other state. They literally consider you a resident, then not, then a resident again each time you go back and forth. I thought it'd play hell on me paying taxes, but I was employed by a CA company the whole time working out of state as a consultant for another company. Worked out OK.

i'm lost....

so it's possible, but not possible. You'd only be a CA resident when you're physically in CA? I can live with that seeing as i plan on being here most of the time. I'd only be in NV when i want to go shooting/camping/riding quads/etc. and when i'm buying guns. But can i buy guns if i am also a CA resident? or do i have to give up CA residency entirely to be able to buy guns in NV?

or, forget the guns.....say i just buy a house in NV but want to keep my CA house too. Maybe i become rich and want a vacation house. Would i not be a NV resident while I'm at my NV house????? Would i not have the same rights that my neighbors have just because i own a house in CA too??

bjl333
10-29-2010, 4:30 PM
i'm lost....

so it's possible, but not possible. You'd only be a CA resident when you're physically in CA? I can live with that seeing as i plan on being here most of the time. I'd only be in NV when i want to go shooting/camping/riding quads/etc. and when i'm buying guns. But can i buy guns if i am also a CA resident? or do i have to give up CA residency entirely to be able to buy guns in NV?

or, forget the guns.....say i just buy a house in NV but want to keep my CA house too. Maybe i become rich and want a vacation house. Would i not be a NV resident while I'm at my NV house????? Would i not have the same rights that my neighbors have just because i own a house in CA too??

Simply put. You need a NV license to buy guns. You cannot have a CA license/ID at the same time you have the NV license. Get a CA license or Get a NV license. If you get a NV license then you are a NV resident.

Correct me if I'm misinterpreting this whole thing !!!

MasterYong
10-29-2010, 4:30 PM
i'm lost....

That's the info I can't provide. I know AZ's requirements for being a resident, I know CA's requirements for being a resident, I know the Fed's requirements as far as purchasing a gun goes, but I don't know NV's requirements for being a resident.

The important part of this equation, IMHO, is NV's rules. You may not get a clear answer on that front on a CA website.

munkeeboi
10-29-2010, 4:33 PM
Simply put. You need a NV license to buy guns. You cannot have a CA license/ID at the same time you have the NV license. Get a CA license or Get a NV license. If you get a NV license then you are a NV resident.

^THIS

In most cases, NV will not give you a NV DL unless you surrender your CA DL. the old way of a Seasonal ID is gone and that allowed people who had vacation homes in NV but did not pay state taxes or work in NV to have a NV ID.

By going back and forth, I believe you have to have resided in NV for at least 90 days prior before you can buy a gun. Just visiting your property for the weekend would not have been sufficient "residence" to legally purchase a gun as a resident of NV.

long story short, unless you have a valid residence and plan to actually live in NV, it isn't worth looking into and buying a property for "residence" as it's more complicated than just owning property in another state.

NV Definition of "resident"

Nevada Revised Statutes 483.141 “Resident” defined.
1. “Resident” includes, but is not limited to, a person:
(a) Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.
(b) Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
(c) Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
(d) Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

bwiese
10-29-2010, 4:34 PM

If this change had had anything to do with gun matters we'd've heard of it.

Any change was highly likely due to other reasons.

Nodda Duma
10-29-2010, 4:51 PM
Coworker has a home and property in NV, home here, works here, and has a NV DL and plates with-get this- his CA address. The lady at the NV DMV was kind enough to do so in order that his NV DMV bill would be sent to his CA address.

Yesterday he said he couldn't decide exactly which silencer to buy next..

taperxz
10-29-2010, 7:10 PM
If this change had had anything to do with gun matters we'd've heard of it.

Any change was highly likely due to other reasons.

Bill, if i recall, maybe last year or so i remember hearing about this in our local paper. EHH the sf chronicle. Sacramento was up in arms about california gun purchases in Nevada. After that they shut down the seasonal ID's. I have one, as i "was" a seasonal res. I also got notification from NV about this.

What ticks me off is that i have a res there and should be able to buy a gun there and leave it in my safe there but now i can't. NV gun dealers won't sell me diddly now.

GrizzlyGuy
10-29-2010, 7:25 PM
i'm lost....

See the examples from the Federal Residency Requirements (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Federal_residency_requirements) page that I linked to above:

Example 1. A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a
hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a
resident of State Y by reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a home
in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months
of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the
year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident
of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is
a resident of State Y.

Example 3. A, an alien, travels on vacation or on a business trip to
State X. Regardless of the length of time A spends in State X, A does not
have a State of residence in State X. This is because A does not have a
home in State X at which he has resided for at least 90 days.

Wulf
10-29-2010, 7:57 PM

So where did you pay taxes. I think we're going to be hosed on the tax front here soon...more so than than on guns. I've been considering getting a reciprocal professional license in nevada, getting an apartment (2nd residence and starting a new LLC over there, working in which ever state is most profitable/convenient at the moment, but billing from the NV LLC and then paying myself in Ca. only what I need to limit my Ca. income.

tozan
10-29-2010, 8:23 PM
Coworker has a home and property in NV, home here, works here, and has a NV DL and plates with-get this- his CA address. The lady at the NV DMV was kind enough to do so in order that his NV DMV bill would be sent to his CA address.

Yesterday he said he couldn't decide exactly which silencer to buy next..

I have been a Florida resident for 10 months now but my car is tagged and registered in Ca and Ca DMV has my residence as Fl. So I am a Fl resident at this time...

lomalinda
10-29-2010, 9:14 PM
Does renting an apartment/house in two different states present a legally different situation than what's been discussed above regarding owning homes in two different states?

dantodd
10-29-2010, 10:37 PM
This is what Nevada DMV has to say about ID Cards. http://www.dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm#ID

Blue Dot ID Cards
The residency and proof of identity requirements for a Nevada Identification Card are the same as those for a driver license. The minimum age for an ID card is 10 years.

You cannot hold both a Nevada Identification Card and an out-of-state driver license.

To apply for an original Nevada Identification Card, you must:

* Provide acceptable proof of your identity.
* Apply in person at a DMV Office. (We do not make appointments.)
* Complete a Driver License Application.
* Pay the required fee. (Under 18 - $6, 18-64 - $12, 65 or older - $7)
* Surrender any existing U.S. driver license, permit or ID card.
* Have your picture taken.

Any existing ID will be hole-punched and returned to you along with an interim paper document. Your new ID card will be mailed to you within 10 business days.

Persons who declare themselves homeless are entitled to a one-time fee exemption for a duplicate Nevada license or ID card. See Duplicate Licenses. If you need to renew your ID Card, see Renewal Options and ID Card Fees.

And according to ATF (as grizzly posted above)
Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
PART 478—COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION
Subpart B—Definitions (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=5ba0e4ff19e3a2de10f7097fc2fa01b0&rgn=div8&view=text&node=27:3.0.1.2.3.2.1.1&idno=27)

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

Sounds like a lawsuit is likely at some point unless NV finds a way to accept ID other than NV DL/ID plus some form of proof of residency.

Merle
10-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Cheapest way is to rent an apartment or a room (hell, anyone would rent you a room cheap if you promise to never show up). You can avoid the property tax issue issue that way.

In order to get a PO Box, I had to go and show a bill with a physical address (want to pay my SW Gas bill too? Winters a-coming) to the USPS gents.

Since NV doesn't have an income tax, you don't need to file anything (unless you run a business or have incorporated). You'll have to file a "non-resident form" with CA in order to get your witholdings back.

At that point (Lease agreement for apt/room, bill for something physical and PO Box) there shouldn't be a problem with getting a drivers license and enjoying more of your fundamental rights.

dantodd
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Cheapest way is to rent an apartment or a room (hell, anyone would rent you a room cheap if you promise to never show up). You can avoid the property tax issue issue that way.

You do realize that if you "never show up" you are not actually a resident, right? And then trying to buy a firearm from a state in which you do not reside is a felony right?

Do not try this folks.

taperxz
10-30-2010, 12:07 AM
This is what Nevada DMV has to say about ID Cards. http://www.dmvnv.com/nvdl.htm#ID

Subpart B—Definitions (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=5ba0e4ff19e3a2de10f7097fc2fa01b0&rgn=div8&view=text&node=27:3.0.1.2.3.2.1.1&idno=27)

Sounds like a lawsuit is likely at some point unless NV finds a way to accept ID other than NV DL/ID plus some form of proof of residency.

Yep thats the new law, when i got my NV ID this was not the case and they have completely changed this law since.

I don't care what B Weiss says, CA did this to NV. It was all under the table!!! NV was all for giving gun rights to land owners in NV cause at least we paid property tax to NV and it helped their economy. The threat of a lawsuit out weighed that benefit for NV. I know this for a fact. Research it!!

dantodd
10-30-2010, 12:10 AM
I don't care what B Weiss says, CA did this to NV. It was all under the table!!! NV was all for giving gun rights to land owners in NV cause at least we paid property tax to NV and it helped their economy. The threat of a lawsuit out weighed that benefit for NV. I know this for a fact. Research it!!

if you know it for a FACT then post a couple links at least so we can have a start at researching it.

taperxz
10-30-2010, 10:21 AM
if you know it for a FACT then post a couple links at least so we can have a start at researching it.

I am trying. I remember something in the news and was told by a dealer in Nevada what was going on "behind the scenes"

If i am not mistaken, and this was a little over a year ago, he told me they got a bulletin from the NV gov that seasonals would be going away because of the pressure from the CA gov. I think this may have been during the Lovelle Mixon ordeal?

I will keep looking, but darn I am having a hard time with keywords to get this specific issue.

Bizcuits
10-30-2010, 10:28 AM
I know others who have tried this and failed. One is now a felon for bringing his toys back to California.... :rolleyes:

Mike Searson
10-30-2010, 12:35 PM
^THIS

In most cases, NV will not give you a NV DL unless you surrender your CA DL. the old way of a Seasonal ID is gone and that allowed people who had vacation homes in NV but did not pay state taxes or work in NV to have a NV ID.

By going back and forth, I believe you have to have resided in NV for at least 90 days prior before you can buy a gun. Just visiting your property for the weekend would not have been sufficient "residence" to legally purchase a gun as a resident of NV.

long story short, unless you have a valid residence and plan to actually live in NV, it isn't worth looking into and buying a property for "residence" as it's more complicated than just owning property in another state.

A few misconceptions.

1. We do not have State Taxes here, we rely on visitors to pay this when they come here to gamble.

2. Don't know where you got the 90-day thing from. I moved here from kahlefornistan 5 years ago and after my 8:00AM DMV Appointment went straight to the gunshow with my brand spanking new license and bought guns.

IrishPirate
10-30-2010, 4:31 PM
^THIS

Quote:
(b) Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.(c) Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
(d) Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.
2. The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

So if a have a car/motorcycle linked to that property i could get a NV license??????

See the examples from the Federal Residency Requirements (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Federal_residency_requirements) page that I linked to above:
Quote:
Example 1. A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a
hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a
resident of State Y by reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a home
in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months
of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the
year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident
of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is
a resident of State Y.

Example 3. A, an alien, travels on vacation or on a business trip to
State X. Regardless of the length of time A spends in State X, A does not
have a State of residence in State X. This is because A does not have a
home in State X at which he has resided for at least 90 days.

#2 seems to fit the bill but doesn't give an definite answer for how much time is required for residency.......

Seems doable, but not very easy. From what i'm gathering from above, if done right it should be no problem, but if done wrong it could land you in jail (or in some serious trouble at least!). Perhaps a lawsuit needs to happen, but until i actually own property in NV and CA, I'm not going to be the one to test the waters. I think they are more worried about taxes and such than buying guns. Of course, transporting illegal guns across state lines would be an issue, but only if someone would be dumb enough to do that in the first place...... Thanks for the help and insight everyone, I plan on staying on top of this and finding out the best way to go about it before the price of land in NV starts going up!!!

bradcannoneer
10-30-2010, 4:52 PM
i look at calguns daily but rarley coment on these blogs .....i have a home in calif and nevada with a nevada dl , i go back and forth weekly for my job in the bay area and often stay in calif ..... from right wing nev/ to left wing calif .i.still have my nev lic and the 5 nfa guns i bought in nevada ,,,and i cant/wont bring them here to calif ! no problems 5 yrs later i say if you get a nevada licence your ok for guns.... dealers only care to see the license, they dont give a crap about how or when etc... yes you can enjoy the freedoms of going back to the united states and live in the peoples repubic of calif as well ..my 2 cents

gunsmith
10-31-2010, 10:25 PM

heres the rub, currently NV does not care if you have a ca ID/DL ! they will not take it from you when you get your NV DL/ID ... so ... you'll have a CA and a NV DL!

so, current I guess I could buy a gun in NV and CA, except why would I? A: broke B: currently avoid CA like the plague

NiteQwill
10-31-2010, 10:37 PM
heres the rub, currently NV does not care if you have a ca ID/DL ! they will not take it from you when you get your NV DL/ID ... so ... you'll have a CA and a NV DL!

so, current I guess I could buy a gun in NV and CA, except why would I? A: broke B: currently avoid CA like the plague

You cannot have two DL's from two states. Many states find this illegal, NV and CA are two of them.

They WILL take it from you and put a hole through your [old] license.

IrishPirate
10-31-2010, 11:19 PM
You cannot have two DL's from two states. Many states find this illegal, NV and CA are two of them.

They WILL take it from you and put a hole through your [old] license.

why is it illegal to have 2 forms of ID?

Merle
10-31-2010, 11:33 PM
So if a have a car/motorcycle linked to that property i could get a NV license??????

The nice lady at the DMV a few years back told me I *had* to get a drivers license in order to register my car. So basically the moment you try to register, they inform you that you need a DL.

Because of the situation here in Tahoe, we don't get home delivery of mail, hence you need a) physical address [lease agreement] and b) PO box.

Again, land isn't a necessity. You'll be fine w/ an apartment lease. As to "resident", simply meeting certain criteria (e.g. business, employment, registering a car, claiming NV as your home) should be enough.

Personally I do like (d)

As there are many reasons why you want to live here, and the firearms laws are just part of the package.

NiteQwill
10-31-2010, 11:48 PM
why is it illegal to have 2 forms of ID?

I didn't say ID. Driver's License(s).

I have a NV ID (I'm a native/live there) and CA DL. That's perfectly fine.

SP1200
10-31-2010, 11:53 PM
http://www.dmvstat.com/newresident.htm

Residency Requirements

You must be a Nevada resident and provide a Nevada street address to obtain a driver license.

Active duty military members, their dependents and others living temporarily in Nevada are not required to transfer their license and registration. If you obtain non-military employment, however, you become a Nevada resident and must obtain a Nevada license and registration.

Licenses are not issued to visitors, out-of-state students or foreign exchange students. Other foreign nationals may or may not be eligible for a license depending on their specific immigration status. E-Mail or call for details and see Beginning Drivers 18 & Older.

(b) Who engages in intrastate business and operates in such a business any motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer, or any person maintaining such vehicles in this state, as the home state of such vehicles.
(c) Who physically resides in this state and engages in a trade, profession, occupation or accepts gainful employment in this state.
The term does not include a person who is an actual tourist, an out-of-state student, a foreign exchange student, a border state employee or a seasonal resident.

Straight forward to me...

IrishPirate
11-01-2010, 3:11 PM
The nice lady at the DMV a few years back told me I *had* to get a drivers license in order to register my car. So basically the moment you try to register, they inform you that you need a DL.

Because of the situation here in Tahoe, we don't get home delivery of mail, hence you need a) physical address [lease agreement] and b) PO box.

Again, land isn't a necessity. You'll be fine w/ an apartment lease. As to "resident", simply meeting certain criteria (e.g. business, employment, registering a car, claiming NV as your home) should be enough.

Personally I do like (d)

As there are many reasons why you want to live here, and the firearms laws are just part of the package.

good to know....that wasn't on the last quote i saw on this thread

my bad....so getting a NV ID that's linked to property in NV is legit? They wont make you surrender your CADL if you just get an ID?

http://www.dmvstat.com/newresident.htm

Residency Requirements

You must be a Nevada resident and provide a Nevada street address to obtain a driver license.

Active duty military members, their dependents and others living temporarily in Nevada are not required to transfer their license and registration. If you obtain non-military employment, however, you become a Nevada resident and must obtain a Nevada license and registration.

so temporarily living there (not just visiting) is good enough to get an ID/DL without surrendering your CADL....?

Licenses are not issued to visitors, out-of-state students or foreign exchange students. Other foreign nationals may or may not be eligible for a license depending on their specific immigration status. E-Mail or call for details and see Beginning Drivers 18 & Older.

1. “Resident” includes, but is not limited to, a person:(a) Whose legal residence is in the State of Nevada.

Straight forward to me...

So if i walk in to a NV DMV and say "I declare myself a resident of Nevada in order to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state" I would be able to get a NV ID and enjoy all the benefits of being a NV resident??? it's not so staraight forward to me because it seems like ANYONE could get dual residency with NV this way...

NiteQwill
11-01-2010, 5:13 PM
my bad....so getting a NV ID that's linked to property in NV is legit? They wont make you surrender your CADL if you just get an ID?

Yes, you must be a resident in all terms of the law in NV. No, they won't take your license away and hole punch it.

Due to the new ID Act, which NV follows, there is a few things you have to provide in order to show residency (bills, for example).

Merle
11-01-2010, 8:51 PM
So if i walk in to a NV DMV and say "I declare myself a resident of Nevada in order to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state" I would be able to get a NV ID and enjoy all the benefits of being a NV resident??? it's not so staraight forward to me because it seems like ANYONE could get dual residency with NV this way...

KISS. Just go in and ask what do I need to do to get a DL or ID. They'll give you the paperwork and you'll have to bring in a birth certificate, passport or something else to prove you're legally here.

pira114
11-01-2010, 9:18 PM
I am moving to Nevada, but will still work in Ca, so this has been something I've been researching. By researching, I mean actually calling and emailing both states DMVs.

Here's what I know for a fact. You can NOT have an ID/DL in both states. NO, Nevada will not physically take your CDL and hole punch it, BUT, their systems talk to each other and CA will invalidate your license.

This is a huge issue for me because Ca requires you to have a DL if you drive in the state for anything more than vacation purposes. Not sure about NV. Waiting for clarification on that.

But I really want the Nevada DL (residency). So my honest plan right now is to move totally to Nevada, and drive as limited as possible in Ca. Drive to my trailer there, park, and take the bus back and forth to work for three days, then drive back to Nevada. It seems to be the only real solution.

As for this whole buying property just to get a Nevada ID to buy guns. It won't work. It's been tried. People have been arrested. Don't do it. Find a legal way, or don't. It really is that simple.

glockwise2000
11-01-2010, 11:21 PM

+1

I got NV ID and CA DL. Renting a room at LV through my friends residence, got a contract for $50.00 room rent signed, so I can keep my NFAs in NV, used to live in LV for 6 months when I finally settled in this country.

dantodd
11-02-2010, 12:37 AM
I am moving to Nevada, but will still work in Ca, so this has been something I've been researching. By researching, I mean actually calling and emailing both states DMVs.

Here's what I know for a fact. You can NOT have an ID/DL in both states. NO, Nevada will not physically take your CDL and hole punch it, BUT, their systems talk to each other and CA will invalidate your license.

This is a huge issue for me because Ca requires you to have a DL if you drive in the state for anything more than vacation purposes. Not sure about NV. Waiting for clarification on that.

I think the law in CA is that if your car is here for more than 30 days it must be registered here. It doesn't sound like your car will be in CA for more than 30 days so it sounds like you are good to go. It might be 10 days rather than 30 but even that should cause no trouble for you. Plus, if you have a NV DL with an NV address it would be difficult to prove that your car was here for longer than permitted at one time.

dantodd
11-02-2010, 12:45 AM
I got NV ID and CA DL. Renting a room at LV through my friends residence, got a contract for $50.00 room rent signed, so I can keep my NFAs in NV, used to live in LV for 6 months when I finally settled in this country.

I think Bill addressed the advisability of such arrangements earlier in the thread.