PDA

View Full Version : Rifle shooting in Cleveland National Forest near Silverado, CA

Anchors
10-28-2010, 8:22 PM
Is this area outside of Silverado, CA appropriate and safe for shooting moderately powerful rifles?

I see the Cleveland National Forest does allow shooting, but is currently closed.
Wondering about that area near Silverado though specifically for rifle shooting.
This is the closest thing to me in OC besides a 50 mile drive to Angeles.

I only ask here because it pertains to rifles and no one checks the outdoor thread.
Thanks

Anchors
10-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Anyone?

Mac
10-30-2010, 7:46 AM
Been a looong time since I was out there. I think that might be too heavily used of an area. People wise.
I used to spend a lot of time in Blackstar Canyon partying with hundreds of others way back when.

call one of the CNF ranger stations and find out.
IIRC You have to go up the road a bit to hit the CNF gate before you are even in the CNF. My guess is it is a dicey move.

NiteQwill
10-30-2010, 7:52 AM
No shooting is allowed in the Santiago/Cleaveland NF area north of Irvine/Foothill ranch since the 90's (last time I checked).

The area is sketchy, too. Lots of meth/coke heads and places where you may stumble upon growing (met by an armed someone because you found "their spot").

Tread lightly.

Anchors
10-31-2010, 12:36 AM
No shooting is allowed in the Santiago/Cleaveland NF area north of Irvine/Foothill ranch since the 90's (last time I checked).

The area is sketchy, too. Lots of meth/coke heads and places where you may stumble upon growing (met by an armed someone because you found "their spot").

Tread lightly.

Thank you, this is the information I was looking for.

It sucks that it is closed to shooting.
I'm not too worried about druggies if I'm out shooting, but I guess it's not a good area for hiking either.
So Angeles is really the closest place to shoot rifles? I was really hoping there would be a BLM type area closer.

turbosubie
10-31-2010, 10:18 AM
You can shoot in the CNF but for "Hunting only". No target shooting allowed and you must have a valid hunting license. I shoot the backside of Silverado in Corona alot and if anybody ask's you are just hunting squirrels.

chino
10-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Depending where you live Lytle Creek or Burro may be closer. Although my preference is ASR, 600 yards and a hotdog stand on weekends!

Mac
10-31-2010, 2:33 PM

Tread lightly.

You kidding us? I know my info is circa 1970's but there are just too many folks out there for any of that to go on. My Brother who lives in Anahiem Hills says it's a big Mountain Bikers draw now. Heck we used to go out there
after work when we were building in Irvine for a few tasty beverages and shoot the breeze. Houses, Mountain bikers, hikers, high School parties on Friday nights Jeez what happened? Has it gone down that much. Hard to believe. But yeah it's been awhile. No place to legally shoot I know that.

NiteQwill
10-31-2010, 4:33 PM
You kidding us? I know my info is circa 1970's but there are just too many folks out there for any of that to go on. My Brother who lives in Anahiem Hills says it's a big Mountain Bikers draw now. Heck we used to go out there
after work when we were building in Irvine for a few tasty beverages and shoot the breeze. Houses, Mountain bikers, hikers, high School parties on Friday nights Jeez what happened? Has it gone down that much. Hard to believe. But yeah it's been awhile. No place to legally shoot I know that.

Nope. Not kidding. My last hike through Silverado, we came up upon a little "farm." Needless to say, we got out of there real fast.

Anchors
10-31-2010, 7:32 PM
Depending where you live Lytle Creek or Burro may be closer. Although my preference is ASR, 600 yards and a hotdog stand on weekends!

Yeah. Angeles is 55 miles and Burro Canyon is 50 miles.

What is Burro like? Decent prices?

Someone would make a killing if they put an outdoor range near Orange County. Angeles is pretty close to L.A.

NiteQwill
10-31-2010, 8:17 PM
Yeah. Angeles is 55 miles and Burro Canyon is 50 miles.

What is Burro like? Decent prices?

Someone would make a killing if they put an outdoor range near Orange County. Angeles is pretty close to L.A.
Angeles is WAAAAY better than Burro, go the extra 5 miles. Trust me.

Burro has private ranges, which is the only plus.

Prices are on their website.

OC DID have an outdoor range. It was the OC Outdoor Range located in North Irvine a decade and change ago. I used to go there but it was closed when The Irvine Co. started buying land all over the place.

comblock
10-31-2010, 8:42 PM
on target w/rifle card. 25m only tho

Anchors
11-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Angeles is WAAAAY better than Burro, go the extra 5 miles. Trust me.

Burro has private ranges, which is the only plus.

Prices are on their website.

OC DID have an outdoor range. It was the OC Outdoor Range located in North Irvine a decade and change ago. I used to go there but it was closed when The Irvine Co. started buying land all over the place.

Man that sounds awesome.
If I had the money and the business experience, I would surely undertake in that.

I know personally that if there was a nice outdoor range like Angeles located as close as Irvine (10-15 minutes) I would pay hundreds of dollars for a membership even on my lame student budget.

on target w/rifle card. 25m only tho

Eh. Shooting a rifle 25m is like the guys who go to the handgun range and put the target three feet away WAY in front of the safety line. It just seems boring lol.

8200rpm
11-02-2010, 10:53 PM
If you're in Silverado Cyn, Angeles is A LOT farther than Burro by at least 20 miles.

But, ASR is definitely worth it. If it wasn't for family, I could easily spend the whole day there.

Shooting rifles at On Target is like driving a Porsche 911 back and forth in your driveway.

Anchors
11-05-2010, 4:08 AM
If you're in Silverado Cyn, Angeles is A LOT farther than Burro by at least 20 miles.

But, ASR is definitely worth it. If it wasn't for family, I could easily spend the whole day there.

Shooting rifles at On Target is like driving a Porsche 911 back and forth in your driveway.

Nah, I live in Orange County (Westminster).

Yeah, I've been to Angeles, just wondering how Burro compares?
I really just like shooting on my own rules in the desert when I'm back home in Arizona and wish I could replicate here, but BLM land is so far from here.

Hahaha great analogy.

geeknow
11-05-2010, 5:01 AM
Blackstar is way sketchy...and thats if you dont run into the guy with the waterwheel, and all those dogs. He is definitely way more than just sketchy.

comblock
11-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Man that sounds awesome.
If I had the money and the business experience, I would surely undertake in that.

I know personally that if there was a nice outdoor range like Angeles located as close as Irvine (10-15 minutes) I would pay hundreds of dollars for a membership even on my lame student budget.

Eh. Shooting a rifle 25m is like the guys who go to the handgun range and put the target three feet away WAY in front of the safety line. It just seems boring lol.

I know whatcha mean. But im just helping the brother out who needs a quick fix with the itchy trigger finger. Sometimes i'll just go to on target. Shoot off a few quickies and im good for the rest of the week.

bubbapug1
11-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Burro is fine for shooting to 200 yards. Yes, the benches aren't as nice, yes, there are some gang bangers once in a while, but than again, they don't bother anyone from what I can see. The road to burro is excellent if you have a fast car and don't get stuck behind grampa. It's a lot like ortega highway only a bit less safe.

burro also allows firing of bi-metallic rounds during rainy season, which is a very nice feature for the AK crowd.

sqroot3
11-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Or you could sail out 12 miles to international waters and shoot to your hearts content.
water == backstop?? :eek:

Anchors
11-05-2010, 2:56 PM
water == backstop?? :eek:

Hahaha.Water = Target too I guess.