PDA

View Full Version : Transporting firearm in a RV question.

REPR3D
10-28-2010, 6:05 PM
I will be traveling in a RV across different cities and campgrounds in California. Is there any specifics on how a firearm is contained while driving in a RV vs. a regular car?

Thanks for clarifying in adv.

NightOwl
10-28-2010, 6:20 PM
To my knowledge, an RV counts exactly the same as a regular car when driving and parked. The exception is when it's parked for an extended stay, or something like that (like, with the jacks down, pop-out popped out, etc etc, very clearly not mobile, not just parked), then it becomes more like a temporary domicile.

paul0660
10-28-2010, 6:24 PM
That is right, depending on exactly where you are. Without a CCW, state parks still do not allow loaded guns at any time, and some municipalities have laws as well. Unlocking the gun from its case in a school zone is iffy as well.

CSDGuy
10-28-2010, 7:16 PM
Conceivably, while in motion or parked on a street, your RV could be considered the same as a car, therefore the storage requirements for vehicles applies. Not parked on the street... might then be treated same as a temporary residence. Parks and Forests and the like (Fed and State) have their own restrictions... It's just nuts. But it is what it is. For now.

shantos
11-17-2010, 1:43 PM
Arizona RV Rentals (http://www.rvrentaloutlet.com)

You can always try renting from camping world

Aldemar
11-17-2010, 2:07 PM
To my knowledge, an RV counts exactly the same as a regular car when driving and parked. The exception is when it's parked for an extended stay, or something like that (like, with the jacks down, pop-out popped out, etc etc, very clearly not mobile, not just parked), then it becomes more like a temporary domicile.

This is correct. That said, I've never locked up my defense gun while traveling in my MH. Reason being you a have a very small chance of being pulled over, and if you are, it's a very simple matter to stash the gun in a locked container while walking to the side door.

Army
11-17-2010, 3:46 PM
Transport laws are in effect while rolling.

When in campsite (which can be most anywhere), your camp and RV are treated as a domicile.

Falstaff
11-17-2010, 3:56 PM
Transport laws are in effect while rolling.

When in campsite (which can be most anywhere), your camp and RV are treated as a domicile.

Not quite. State Parks, (like the state beach campgrounds I use) forbid firearms. Near as I can tell you might be OK with the firearm in a locked case, unloaded inside the vehicle at all times, but under no circumstance can you LOC OR UOC OR LCC. However, in a national forest then maybe the "domicile" scenario applies.

Army
11-17-2010, 4:10 PM
Which is why I said "most anywhere". State parks forbid carry or use. No law stops you from having them (or using them to defend yourself) inside your vehicle.

ar15robert
11-17-2010, 5:46 PM
lock and roll
park and load.

DannyInSoCal
11-17-2010, 5:50 PM
More specific question -

Is it legal to keep your AR apart/unloaded but not locked up while driving.

If SHTF - Only takes a few seconds to assemble and load anyway...

Cokebottle
11-17-2010, 6:09 PM
More specific question -

Is it legal to keep your AR apart/unloaded but not locked up while driving.

If SHTF - Only takes a few seconds to assemble and load anyway...
It is legal to keep your AR assembled and unloaded while driving.

California Gun Free School Zone law does not address long guns.
Locked-concealed statutes only address "concealable" guns, specifically, handguns.

The only potential issue is the Federal Gun Free School Zone law, which does require that all guns be in a locked container within 1000ft of a school.

bohoki
11-17-2010, 7:08 PM
The only potential issue is the Federal Gun Free School Zone law, which does require that all guns be in a locked container within 1000ft of a school.

but if it is a domicile then would it not be treated the same as a house next to the school

Decoligny
11-17-2010, 7:43 PM
It is not a domicile while driving, it is a vehicle. When parked at a location where it is legal to "camp" it is a domicile.

GWbiker
11-17-2010, 8:42 PM
Go to your favorite Gun Shop and look for the latest version (2010) of "Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States" by J. Scott Kappas, Esq.

Should cost you about $20.

In Arizona it's the RV owner's bible.

IGOTDIRT4U
11-18-2010, 6:19 AM
This is correct. That said, I've never locked up my defense gun while traveling in my MH. Reason being you a have a very small chance of being pulled over, and if you are, it's a very simple matter to stash the gun in a locked container while walking to the side door.

"What gun?" "Got warrant?"

H&S code, anything beyond driver's area is same as house. Even on the road. This has been tested many times. This is why it is legal for a person to drink alcoholic beverages while sitting at the dinette booth of a self contained RV (Class A, B, C) versus passengers of a conventional nature not being legal to do so.

MudCamper
11-18-2010, 7:37 AM
It's never a domicile. It's a residence. There's a big difference. But the exemptions to 12025 (concealed) and 12031 (loaded) are for residences so you are good to go (when camped).

The reason you cannot load/carry in a State Park is there is an additional code preventing possession of an unlocked functional firearm.

See Firearms in Forests and Parks (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457) for specifics.

Aldemar
11-18-2010, 7:53 AM
"What gun?" "Got warrant?"

H&S code, anything beyond driver's area is same as house. Even on the road. This has been tested many times. This is why it is legal for a person to drink alcoholic beverages while sitting at the dinette booth of a self contained RV (Class A, B, C) versus passengers of a conventional nature not being legal to do so.

Tell me about it...I've driven many 'parties' to and from vacations. Unfortunately for me, I don't trust anyone else to drive my rig.

IGOTDIRT4U
11-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Tell me about it...I've driven many 'parties' to and from vacations. Unfortunately for me, I don't trust anyone else to drive my rig.

lol, you and me both. My wife drove the coach once about 3 miles on a straight stretch of the 5 up near the Tracy cut off. That's it for her.

pierat
11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Hello all, this is my first post on the forum! I used to live in CA, but it's been quite awhile and I am now so used to the laws of NV where I live now, that CA just seems so foreign. I don't miss the gun laws over there at all!

I am planning to come visit southern CA for turkey day. So, just to verify what I think was said in this thread.... If I am parked on the street in front of a home, the RV is going to be considered a vehicle, right? So, CCW or loaded handgun in the RV is out of the question there. However, if it is parked on private property, I am legal to CCW or have loaded handgun somewhere in the RV, right?

I have a couple more questions regarding my trip, I hope I'm not deviating too far off topic.

As for while driving, I understand the gun must be in a locked box, but I can have a loaded magazine in the cab or RV as long as it's not in the box with the gun, right? And do I really need to have the box out of reach while driving? Or can I have it right behind me while driving?

Finally, it is ok to bring a gun that's not on the CA DOJ approved list, right? I'd like to bring my LCP if that's ok, and I know it's not approved to be sold in CA.

Thanks for sharing, glad to be a part of the forum!

OleCuss
11-18-2010, 1:41 PM
Generally, if your RV is parked it is your residence and you can carry CCW or LOC within that RV. Avoid anything that could look like brandishing.

If you are on private property you still have to be careful about public access areas whereas if you are in an access controlled area (generally fenced and locked or indoors) the rules for carrying are pretty much up to the owner/renter.

While driving your pistol must be in a locked container (not your glovebox or center console). You can have a loaded magazine in the box as well - but you cannot have a magazine in the magazine well or have a round in the chamber. You can also keep your locked container in your lap if you want.

pierat
11-18-2010, 1:55 PM
Generally, if your RV is parked it is your residence and you can carry CCW or LOC within that RV. Avoid anything that could look like brandishing.

If you are on private property you still have to be careful about public access areas whereas if you are in an access controlled area (generally fenced and locked or indoors) the rules for carrying are pretty much up to the owner/renter.

While driving your pistol must be in a locked container (not your glovebox or center console). You can have a loaded magazine in the box as well - but you cannot have a magazine in the magazine well or have a round in the chamber. You can also keep your locked container in your lap if you want.

That's pretty much what I've done when in CA in the past. In my car, I had my lockbox on the floor in the backseat, within my reach. I also had a loaded magazine in the center console or somewhere within reach, but hidden from view. I also kept an empty magazine in the lockbox with the gun because I think it looks a little better for LEO to not wonder where the ammo is if the box is opened. If for some crazy reason I am pulled over, do I have to tell the officer I have a gun in the vehicle right away? Or only if they ask me? And do I have to tell him about any loaded magazines or ammo that might be hidden?

moleculo
11-18-2010, 1:57 PM
While driving your pistol must be in a locked container

Not exactly correct. Driving is no different than any other place where unloaded open carry is legal. The problem with driving without it locked up is that you probably are passing through a 1000 foot school zone every couple of minutes unless you're out in the country somewhere.

If for some crazy reason I am pulled over, do I have to tell the officer I have a gun in the vehicle right away? Or only if they ask me? And do I have to tell him about any loaded magazines or ammo that might be hidden?

You don't have to tell the officer ***** about your guns. If he sees one in the open he can ask to check it to see if it's unloaded and you must allow him to do so. If he sees the container he may ask what is in it, but you can decline to answer that.

pierat
11-18-2010, 2:12 PM
Not exactly correct. Driving is no different than any other place where unloaded open carry is legal. The problem with driving without it locked up is that you probably are passing through a 1000 foot school zone every couple of minutes unless you're out in the country somewhere.

I figured unloaded open carry was just asking for trouble and giving all the reason LEO needs to be "invited" in. However, now that I'm thinking about it a little more, could I have an unloaded gun in plain view in the back of the RV? I wouldn't think it would be considered concealed because you could clearly see it if you are inside the RV or looking in the window. However, you would need a step to see in the window, so it wouldn't give reason for a search or unwanted encounter unless LEO actually came in....which they will have no reason to do. I could just leave it out on the dinette, or the couch and nobody would see it. Probably not worth it because I can open my lockbox in a flash if I need to, but I'm curious if that would work.

You don't have to tell the officer ***** about your guns. If he sees one in the open he can ask to check it to see if it's unloaded and you must allow him to do so. If he sees the container he may ask what is in it, but you can decline to answer that.

Good to know, thanks.

moleculo
11-18-2010, 2:33 PM
Personally, I wouldn't leave it in plain view unless I had a reason to be wearing it in plain view. That's just asking for it to get stolen and your RV vandalized.

pierat
11-18-2010, 4:40 PM
Personally, I wouldn't leave it in plain view unless I had a reason to be wearing it in plain view. That's just asking for it to get stolen and your RV vandalized.

Not really considering it, just curious. I wasn't talking about leaving it unattended in plain view either, I was just talking about while we are driving. Anyway, my lockbox is perfect and will be nearby. Thanks for all the tips, it's much appreciated. Oh yeah, what about my Ruger LCP, can I bring it even though it's not CA DOJ approved?

moleculo
11-18-2010, 9:09 PM
Oh yeah, what about my Ruger LCP, can I bring it even though it's not CA DOJ approved?

Yep, no problem.

pierat
11-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Yep, no problem.

Excellent, thanks. I was looking all over for something from CA DOJ that explains this, but I can't find anywhere that says it's legal. I only found info about moving to CA and what to do. I believe you, but do you know where I can find this info first hand? Thanks again for all the tips. Glad to have found this forum, really helped me find out more about CA laws that I couldn't easily interpret from reading the laws as they re written!