PDA

View Full Version : Why are some so down on the Chinese SKS?

TonyNorCal
06-13-2006, 2:29 PM
So why are some so down on the Chinese SKS?

You fairly often see people who are down on Chinese SKS's. What gives?

Now, there is variation in Chinese SKS's...

Some were military products...have screwed barrels and milled components.

Some were commercial ventures for the US market...tend to be pinned and have some stamped elements.

Some were altered/created by importers...i.e. paratrooper SKS with 16 inch barrel...which was never issued in the Chinese military...but it's still cool.

But, still...all Chinese SKS's seem to be good guns. All feautre chrome-lined bores. I've seen more than one written account of Chinese SKS's shooting more accurately than other countries' variants. (You have to take such tests with a grain of salt though...sample size, variation in manufacturer lots, usage, etc.)

Yet...even with a pinned barrel commerical Chinese SKS...have you ever heard of a barrel working loose? Let me rephrase...have documented proof of....?

Chinese SKS's seem pretty good to me...

Cheers

glen avon
06-13-2006, 3:09 PM
as the most common and least expensive, there *must* be something wrong with them. or something like that, I guess.

stevie
06-13-2006, 3:14 PM
Some say the quality is not as good. Mine functions and shoots great.

Mesa Tactical
06-13-2006, 3:18 PM
It sure would be difficult for a non-machinist to indicate what exactly is inferior about a Chinese vs a Russian or Yugo SKS.

One of the major design advantages of the SKS (and the AK) is that you don't need an ISO 9001 world-class high-tech manufacturing facility to make good, sturdy, reliable rifles.

The main "disadvantage" of the Chinese is that it's rarely "collectible." That just means you should feel freer about modding it up.

ohsmily
06-13-2006, 3:20 PM
I've got 3 Chinese and 1 Romanian. The Romanian seems to be of much poorer quality than the Chinese.

magmaster
06-13-2006, 3:25 PM
Maybe its because the owners of the Chinese SKS you have heard this from are uneducated. I know several people who own them and they seem fine. I have seen a few that have had issues and it turned out to be worn firing pins and extractor spring. Proper maintenance is key and most of the rifles out there have been fired a few times I would think. Parts wear out, but then you hear "This thing sucks, I will never buy a Chinese SKS again..."

I personally have a Russian made model. Flawless and is damn dependable. But the prices are a lot higher than the Chinese counterpart.

taloft
06-13-2006, 3:54 PM
We've got a Russian (tula arms), a Chinese(norinco), and a Yugo(red banner) within our shooting circle. All function just fine. The Chinese does have a stamped trigger group, and the stock is soft compared to the others, I like shooting it. I don't see this as being a deal breaker. It is a nice rifle. The chrome lined barrel on the chinese makes it a breeze to clean. You won't find a chrome lined barrel on a Yugo. Not all Chinese models have stamped parts, and not all of the stocks are soft. Just like any milsurp. you have to shop around to find a good one. All of them are about the same as far as accuracy. As long as you find one with a good barrel to begin with, accuracy shouldn't present a problem.

50 Freak
06-13-2006, 5:03 PM
Other than the crappy stock, I'd consider the Chinese on par with that of the Russian and Yugo. And given the Chinese have a chromed lined barrel and a para model.

I'd put the Chinese para on the top of my SKS list. Only problem is the crappy trigger. Had one where the trigger pull was like 15 #s.

saki302
06-13-2006, 7:13 PM
Find a milled trigger group Chinese rifle- that is the best trigger bar none among the 8 or 9 SKS's I own.

If you're lucky enough to find a stamped receiver Chinese SKS, scoop it up- those are rare and collectible.

They can no longer import Chinese SKSs into the country- so when most of them have been butchered or brokern, look for prices to go up. They are already double what they were a few years ago. The true 1956 sino-soviet SKS will be worth bucks bnext year too- by serial number, it will be the first Chinese SKS C&R!!

-Dave

fal_762x51
06-13-2006, 7:17 PM
I like my Chi-com.

xenophobe
06-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Chicom SKS are very inconsistent.... many of the earlier military guns with the screwed in barrels and milled trigger components are VERY nice SKS... not quite as nice in quality to the Russian or Yugos in mill work and metallurgy, but still very nice rifles.

The later Military/Commercial pinned barrel sheetmetal trigger guard guns are just okay, though some of them are really accurate.

Parts interchangability between the Chinese can be iffy. Unlike most of the other variants of the SKS, many of the parts are hand fitted.

Mesa Tactical
06-14-2006, 6:18 AM
I'd put the Chinese para on the top of my SKS list. Only problem is the crappy trigger. Had one where the trigger pull was like 15 #s.

There's a guy in Texas I found on the SKS Boards who, for $45, will lighten up SKS trigger groups. Like night and day. I'll try to find his name when I get home.

glen avon
06-14-2006, 6:20 AM
kivaari? is that familiar?

Mesa Tactical
06-14-2006, 6:34 AM
kivaari? is that familiar?

That's it. Go to http://www.kivaari.com/ to get your SKS trigger fixed up.