View Full Version : Looking to mod saiga

10-28-2010, 4:01 PM
I'm wanting to mod this upcoming Saiga I'm going to pickup. I'm going for the 7.62 model and wanted to know if I was looking for a light/laser combo as well as mount, what you guys would recommend.

10-28-2010, 4:36 PM
put the money into converting it
there is no need for a light or a laser on a ak

10-28-2010, 4:45 PM
I tried putting several laser sights on my Saiga 7.62x39 when i first got it. Problem was the recoil kept knocking them out of alignment so they are not on the rifle anymore. Putting a light on the gun isn't a bad idea if this is a firearm you may go to in a defense situation.

This is the light I'm running:

Its pretty inexpensive and does its job good enough for me, though if you are looking for blinding you may want to go brighter.

Here is what it looks like installed on my Saiga 7.62x39 (obviously rifle on the right)

10-28-2010, 4:49 PM

I disagree on the no need for a light, since the sun isn't out 24/7 and bad guys it turns out know that... :p but +1 on converting for sure. After you are done converting, you feel like it is truly YOUR rifle with not another one exactly like it out there. Good luck finding another converted Saiga that looks just like mine for example.

10-28-2010, 7:54 PM
Yea I mean maybe I don't want my AK to look like all others :cool2:

I'd like a nice laser system/light combo if I can find such a thing. I mean I'd love if the laser was somewhat accurate up to 25 yards but I'm not using the thing for some serious role. It'd look pretty neat.

10-28-2010, 8:00 PM

10-29-2010, 9:46 PM

10-29-2010, 10:34 PM
For inspiration you should start with this

10-29-2010, 10:51 PM

That is the cheapest and BEST advice to give! Seriously this guy knows what he is talking about.:punk:

10-30-2010, 9:31 AM
Different strokes for different folks. Let him get what he wants. I myself like traditional looking AKs with nothing hanging off of them. Plain and simple; caveman :) But a light is not a bad idea on a defensive rifle/carbine/shotgun/handgun.

Most folks just do a pistol grip conversion on their Saigas. Pick your pistol grip and stock, get all the other parts needed for the conversion (dont forget about the mag lock or 922r US parts count), after a couple hours of work, you should have yourself a nice AK. Maybe start there, and see where it takes you. As you browse for your stock and pistol grip, you can see what else is out there, then you can figure out what you want.

But if you want a laser/light, some folks use a weapon light, flashlights/lasers made to fit on a pic rail on a handgun or rifle. Surefire, Streamlight, and Insight are some of the best. And to mount that light/laser, you need a railed handguard. Midwest Industries, SGM, Tapco & UTG make rail handguards for AKs and Saigas.