PDA

View Full Version : Workstation down need help

Barbarossa
10-28-2010, 2:17 PM
Co-worker is humming along then his workstation freezes.

Hard re-boot and get this.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ExDKsKlG_P4/TMn0hKK9UvI/AAAAAAAACM4/KfCHfrnZHhk/s800/oops.jpg

anyone know what I need to do?

Windows exists, but I can't get it to boot.

Ricky-Ray
10-28-2010, 2:30 PM
Hard drive most likely failed. I get that alot with the dell computers here at work. You can try turning the computer off for a few minutes and booting it back up, it's worked a few times. If you are copy whatever data the person needs and get them a new drive.

Barbarossa
10-28-2010, 2:37 PM
I popes a windows xp disk in and am running a chkdsk.

0-50% goes fast, then it gets to about 65% and starts back at 50%.

JDay
10-28-2010, 6:08 PM
I popes a windows xp disk in and am running a chkdsk.

0-50% goes fast, then it gets to about 65% and starts back at 50%.

Makes sure SMART is enabled in the BIOS, that will give you a warning during POST if the drive is failing. If the drive is not failing you can do a repair install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1. When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2. Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

bigpappa0095
10-28-2010, 6:20 PM
corruption..it happens. pull the drive and put it in another computer, grab important data, and reinstall windows. or you can keep trying to repair ~_~

Barbarossa
10-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Well I did the repair, and came up with more issues...

SHLWAPI.dll is missing or corrupted.

I can boot into windows but from there I can't do anything with IE or on the network.

I tried to replace the SHLWAPI.dll with one from the web, but haven't found a good sit for Downloading .dll files.

In fact I couldn't even search. Mozilla would go to google, but any search response you clicked on would get hijacked.

So I ran Spybot, and I'm now running Spybot a second time. (37 detected, 36 removed)

Hopefully when this gets done I can overwrite the SHLWAPI.dll file.

Also had a URLMON.dll error, and haven't even begun to dig into that.

If anyone can recommend a good place to download .dll files, let me know.

tools2teach
10-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Your boot partition is probably corrupt or your hard drive is bad. When you boot into before windows keep hitting F8 until you come across a menu section. Select last know good configuration. See if that works. I hope you have a backup, it's still recoverable, but you'll have to jump through some hoops to get it back. Fixing something like this requires extensive computer knowledge; not say that you don't :)

Barbarossa
10-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Your boot partition is probably corrupt or your hard drive is bad. When you boot into before windows keep hitting F8 until you come across a menu section. Select last know good configuration. See if that works. I hope you have a backup, it's still recoverable, but you'll have to jump through some hoops to get it back. Fixing something like this requires extensive computer knowledge; not say that you don't :)

Well everything works when I boot into safemode with networking.
I'm hoping the Windows recovery fixed the boot.ini

I'm hoping that by replacing the .dll files I can restore functionality.

HD looks good I did a CHLDSK yesterday and it passed.

I believe I have system restore disabled on all the workstations.

Nothing vital is stored on the W.S., just hate to sit and reload software all afternoon. Especially our accounting package!

RE:Knowledge: I learn as I go, but I've always had an affinity for stuff like this. If this doesn't work I'll go get a hard drive as preventative maintenance.

Ricky-Ray
10-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Is this one of the newer dell workstations? Alot of the newer ones have a built in diagnostic test. When you see the Dell logo hit F12 to get into the one time boot mode and see if there's an on board diagnostic test. If there is run it and it can tell you if the drive is bad or not. If it is it will give you an error code and if the workstation is still under warranty with Dell call them and give them that error code and they will ship you a replacement hard drive.

JDay
10-29-2010, 3:37 PM
If anyone can recommend a good place to download .dll files, let me know.

Boot into safe mode and run '"sfc /scannow", this will scan the system files and replace any that are corrupted.

POLICESTATE
10-29-2010, 3:39 PM
Looks like your windows installation is hosed, could be a variety of reasons but I would suspect the drive. Put in a new drive, install windows and pull off whatever data you can from the original drive, then use it for hammer practice.
I don't hang onto drives I have less than 100% confidence in.

Oh and don't forget you should be backing up important data on a regular basis.

Barbarossa
10-29-2010, 4:41 PM
Well I can't run sfc.exe ,not even by tuning it in cmd

Windows File Protection could not be initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific code is 0x000006ba [The RPC Server is unavailable.]

JDay
10-31-2010, 6:11 AM
Well I can't run sfc.exe ,not even by tuning it in cmd

Windows File Protection could not be initiate a scan of protected system files.
The specific code is 0x000006ba [The RPC Server is unavailable.]

Try this fix. I know it's for Windows 2000 but it should work with XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296241

Barbarossa
10-31-2010, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=JDay;5218258]Try this fix. I know it's for Windows 2000 but it should work with XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/296241[/QUO

Needed service pack 3 to run it.

Tried to upgrade but system kept hanging up. (Windows disk I repaired with was SP1a)

Up and running now on a new HD.