PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions... (AMD Pistol vs. Rifle)

Rekrab
10-28-2010, 2:47 PM
So my fresh AMD-65 kit arrived in the mail last night. I unpacked it, checked everything out and I realized that it's an absolutely beautiful, pristine, example of these Hungarian flame throwers. Sorry, my camera is packed up so no pics because my Pre takes horrid photos without anything short of direct sunlight or studio lighting.

Originally I was dead set on turning this into my pistol build, now I'm having second thoughts. So, the way i see it I have 3 options.

1. Build it into a standard AMD pistol.
2. Get funky, build it using a sidefolder receiver, pin the stock folded and then if I ever decide I no longer want a pistol I can extend the stock and weld a barrel extension.
3. Go straight to rifle with barrel extension and pinned stock.

I'm leaning most towards pistol with stock pinned closed because it gives me the option of converting it into a rifle later and i don't immediately need to worry about 922(r).

What are your guys' thoughts?

CSACANNONEER
10-28-2010, 2:52 PM
Standard pistol build. Then, take the stock and either sell it or, do like I did and make a AMD Sitxty "G" with it using a Romy G front end and removing the upper handgaurd retaining rings from the gas tube.

MrPlink
10-28-2010, 3:37 PM
Start with a pistol build. At least that way you can legally change your mind down the road and make a rifle, can't go rifle to pistol.

pyro3k2
10-28-2010, 6:14 PM
turn it into an AMD 63, hardly see any of those running around. If thats not an option I would suggest pistol, you can always make it into a rifle later.

Saigon1965
10-28-2010, 6:31 PM
To help you with what it'll look like -

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/saigon1965/IMG_0004.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/saigon1965/IMG_0215.jpg

desertdweller
10-28-2010, 9:43 PM
How much did you pay?

WTSGDYBBR
10-28-2010, 9:48 PM
saigon1965
The sec pic is that a Rommy G with removed upper gas tube wood ?

CSACANNONEER
10-29-2010, 7:04 AM
turn it into an AMD 63, hardly see any of those running around. If thats not an option I would suggest pistol, you can always make it into a rifle later.

I have a real semi auto AMD63 but, you're right, you don't see many of them around. I bought my "unfired" kit back in '99 for $99.:D

Saigon1965
10-29-2010, 8:21 AM
Same gun with different furniture -

saigon1965
The sec pic is that a Rommy G with removed upper gas tube wood ?

SJgunguy24
10-29-2010, 8:32 AM
To help you with what it'll look like -

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/saigon1965/IMG_0004.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/saigon1965/IMG_0215.jpg

That gun looks familiar..........where did you get that again?;) Nevermind.

The AMD 65 is a great pistol kit, the full 12.5" barrel and OE parts take out the guess work if your chopping down a kit into a pistol build.

Rekrab
10-29-2010, 10:19 AM
So would there be any problems if I did a pistol but kept the stock pinned forward?

69Mach1
10-29-2010, 10:55 AM
One huge problem. With the stock forward, it gives you a forward grip.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBAPKcIjjmodEe8-urEP3XeaIsuyKdCErybmh-yG8zKnNNzT4&t=1&usg=__JtOMcOb-_p8jgFaNRykEwDPK7K4=

Not mine.

Baron
10-29-2010, 11:48 AM
I thought that once you put a stock on it, even if it's pinned closed or folded, it's considered a rifle and would need to meet the 30" overall length... once a rifle always a rifle kinda thing.
I could be wrong, and I'm in no way an expert, but to be considered a pistol doesn't it need to be built completely without a stock?

Besides last time I was at the range shooting my Draco the guy next to me had an AMD rifle with the wire stock pinned open. Forget any kind of cheek weld on it... although the wire stock did look awesome, it didn't seem to do much other then that. My Draco seemed just as easy to hit with without a stock, which isn't hard at all...

I'd say go with a Pistol build and convert it later... maybe after you build a second one:43:

SJgunguy24
10-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I thought that once you put a stock on it, even if it's pinned closed or folded, it's considered a rifle and would need to meet the 30" overall length... once a rifle always a rifle kinda thing.
I could be wrong, and I'm in no way an expert, but to be considered a pistol doesn't it need to be built completely without a stock?

Besides last time I was at the range shooting my Draco the guy next to me had an AMD rifle with the wire stock pinned open. Forget any kind of cheek weld on it... although the wire stock did look awesome, it didn't seem to do much other then that. My Draco seemed just as easy to hit with without a stock, which isn't hard at all...

I'd say go with a Pistol build and convert it later... maybe after you build a second one:43:

One could always request a letter from the ATF for your build. You show them what you want to do and they may just give you the green light.

CSACANNONEER
10-29-2010, 12:35 PM
ATF has issued letters stating that a permanently welded closed underfolder is nothing more than cosmetics on certain handguns. But, in this case, 69Mach1 has an excellent point! I'd err on the side of caution and get it registered as an AOW before I attempted it.

Baron
10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I totally forgot about the AMD having the forward grip... so yeah AOW would be the way to go

SJgunguy24
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
ATF has issued letters stating that a permanently welded closed underfolder is nothing more than cosmetics on certain handguns. But, in this case, 69Mach1 has an excellent point! I'd err on the side of caution and get it registered as an AOW before I attempted it.

If I gotta sniff NFA crap, I'm putting a can on whatever I build.

Rekrab
10-29-2010, 1:57 PM
That is a good point, the stock could be regarded as a forward grip. I don't have the scratch for an NFA trust so I'd put that one on hold. But I am tempted to attempt writing a letter to the ATF and see what they say.

Any reason I couldn't use the standard sidefolder trunnion instead of a special pistol trunnion? That way I wouldn't have to cut out the rivets later if I decided to make it into a rifle.

How much did you pay?

$385 plus shipping. Not the greatest price in the world, but for how clean the kit is I'm pretty happy. Everything looks basically new and it's already been partially demilled. No receiver stubs on it at all, front trunnion has had the rivets punched out.

ZX-10R
10-29-2010, 1:59 PM
Rifle.

CSACANNONEER
10-29-2010, 1:59 PM
Any reason I couldn't use the standard sidefolder trunnion instead of a special pistol trunnion? That way I wouldn't have to cut out the rivets later if I decided to make it into a rifle.

Again, I would not do even this without writing ATF first. They might see it as constructive possession of a SBR.

Josh3239
10-29-2010, 3:09 PM
Ever shot an AK pistol? It isn't practical for anything, even shooting at nothing but dirt is awkward. Build a rifle.

Baron
10-29-2010, 3:16 PM
My Draco is fine at standard pistol ranges
It's not a tack driver, but it'll get the job done.
The brake on the AMD really helps with jump and as long as you hold onto it and don't have the gripping strength of a new born AK pistols are managable

And besides whats more fun then producing a 3' wide 4-5' long fireball... and still hitting what you were aiming at:D

CSACANNONEER
10-29-2010, 3:43 PM
Ever shot an AK pistol? It isn't practical for anything, even shooting at nothing but dirt is awkward. Build a rifle.

Shooting off of a rest, I can consistantly hit the 200 and 300 yard gongs at Angeles with my AMD65 pistol build and iron sites.

Rekrab
10-29-2010, 3:56 PM
Again, I would not do even this without writing ATF first. They might see it as constructive possession of a SBR.

Hmmm, good point.

Sure it's practical for something. It's a tiny rifle caliber gun that doesn't hurt to shoot. They're plenty accurate if you shoot them correctly. Accuracy can be further improved by a good single point sling and some kind of reflex sight.

Besides, I never said anything about practical, I want fun. I've got practical rifles and handguns. I want something fun!

SJgunguy24
10-29-2010, 4:02 PM
That is a good point, the stock could be regarded as a forward grip. I don't have the scratch for an NFA trust so I'd put that one on hold. But I am tempted to attempt writing a letter to the ATF and see what they say.

Any reason I couldn't use the standard sidefolder trunnion instead of a special pistol trunnion? That way I wouldn't have to cut out the rivets later if I decided to make it into a rifle..

If you wanted to use a trunnion from a folder that shouldn't be an issue. DO NOT MAKE ANY OF THE CUTS OR DRILL THE HOLES FOR ANYTHING OTHER THEN THE RIVETS. That will tell any knucklehead that was built as a pistol from the start. This is of course with Tue understanding the stock itself had been separated from the trunnion.

Rekrab
10-29-2010, 4:32 PM
Ah, I see what you mean. So I'd just use a standard AK flat without trunnion holes drilled instead of the sidefolder flat.

I think, in the end, I'm going to just use a pistol trunnion and do the pistol build. I'll hang on to the original trunnion and stock to build on to some other monstrosity I might have planned down the line.

SJgunguy24
10-29-2010, 4:39 PM
Ah, I see what you mean. So I'd just use a standard AK flat without trunnion holes drilled instead of the sidefolder flat.

I think, in the end, I'm going to just use a pistol trunnion and do the pistol build. I'll hang on to the original trunnion and stock to build on to some other monstrosity I might have planned down the line.

You can do it that way, I'm using 100% receivers for anything I plan on keeping or abusing.

Saigon1965
10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
This is the gentleman that build my pistol -

That gun looks familiar..........where did you get that again?;) Nevermind.

The AMD 65 is a great pistol kit, the full 12.5" barrel and OE parts take out the guess work if your chopping down a kit into a pistol build.

timdps
10-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Sure it's practical for something.

AK47... when you absolutely, positively have to kill every motherf***** in the room.

VegasND
10-30-2010, 7:00 AM
I'd build it into an SBR ... but I'm not in CA.;)

They do make a cool looking pistol, but as has been said above: An AK pistol is pretty useless for any practical purpose. I don't know anybody with an AK pistol that uses it for anything practical though -- so do what will make you happiest.

bigbob76
10-30-2010, 9:56 AM

What if you used a fixed stock receiver with the folder trunion? Build it as a pistol and don't drill/cut any holes you don't need. Later if you wanted to you could drill/cut what you needed for the folding stock.

C_1
10-30-2010, 11:20 AM
If you already have an AK rifle, build an AMD pistol. And you CAN convert a pistol into a rifle, not vice versa; once a rifle, always a rifle.

CSACANNONEER
10-30-2010, 5:09 PM
If you already have an AK rifle, build an AMD pistol. And you cant convert a pistol into a rifle, not vice versa; once a rifle, always a rifle.

Contradicting yourself here? I hope you ment to post that "you CAN convert a pistol into a rifle".

C_1
10-30-2010, 7:04 PM
Contradicting yourself here? I hope you ment to post that "you CAN convert a pistol into a rifle".

Oops.. haha. I guess that was one too many T's. You CAN convert a pistol into a rifle, not vice versa. I will edit my post. Thanks for the correction CSAC.