PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question on M4 feed ramp upper rec.

sker13
10-28-2010, 12:36 PM
How can I tell if my upper receiver is made for M4 feed ramps?

OutlawDon
10-28-2010, 12:37 PM
http://ar15barrels.com/tech/feedramps2.jpg

Average Joe American
10-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Just fyi, if you have a semi auto rifle you dont need M4 feed ramps so dont think just because you dont have them that your gun is somehow inferior?

M4 feed ramps were developed for select fire M4's with extremely fast cycling BCG's that had issues cycling faster than the magazine could reliably feed the ammo. You cant pull a semi auto trigger fast enough to need M4 feed ramps no matter how hard you try.

Of course they are cool to have if you have the choice since all top tier makers feature them.

Now if someone dremeled them in or miss matched M4 feed ramp lower receiver with a rifle feed ramp barrel extension ...then it would be an issue to investigate just to make sure it works or can be fixed.. Other than that dont worry about it and dont get caught up in the M4 feed ramp hype.

sker13
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
So it looks like if you have the two little relief slots in the front floor of the receiver it is set up for M4 correct?

OutlawDon
10-28-2010, 12:48 PM
So it looks like if you have the two little relief slots in the front floor of the receiver it is set up for M4 correct?

correct

sker13
10-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Just fyi, if you have a semi auto rifle you dont need M4 feed ramps so dont think just because you dont have them that your gun is somehow inferior?

M4 feed ramps were developed for select fire M4's with extremely fast cycling BCG's that had issues cycling faster than the magazine could reliably feed the ammo. You cant pull a semi auto trigger fast enough to need M4 feed ramps no matter how hard you try.

Of course they are cool to have if you have the choice since all top tier makers feature them.

Now if someone dremeled them in or miss matched M4 feed ramp lower receiver with a rifle feed ramp barrel extension ...then it would be an issue to investigate just to make sure it works or can be fixed.. Other than that dont worry about it and dont get caught up in the M4 feed ramp hype.

Good info...I just wanted to make sure that my BCM upper receiver was going to work out with a spikes tac partial upper without receiver that I am getting. The BCM looks like it has the dimples in the front. So it looks like im all good either way right.

sker13
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the quick help fellas.