View Full Version : Secondary short range sight on a long range rifle, good or bad?

10-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Building the same .308 as the DPMS LRT-SASS with an 18" barrel and a scope, mainly for long range. But, considering adding my spare Trijicon Reflex sight, using this angle weaver mount for short range quick sighting

If carrying only one rifle designed for long range, but if it comes to a situation where one may need to use it in a much closer distance, would this setup be considered sound/smart, or am I just adding extra crap for a not very good reason?

10-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Yes, it's sound. Many options such as an offset rail like the Daniel Defense (which I'm running right now).

This is also very slick, lighter and less intrusive...

10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Doing anything for the sake of "tactically sound" typically isn't a very good reason as the majority of people will never actually anything remotely tactical with a weapon... unless it's zombies.

BUT, I'd say that it's not going to hurt anything. You're talking about an extra... 4 ounces? Maybe 8? That's a double cheeseburger; eat a smaller lunch and you'll be fine.

A lot of 3-gun guys are using offset mounts for dots and magnified for main. There's definitely a case for it.

10-28-2010, 1:11 PM
There's nothing wrong with it and the most common scenario is needing an RDS to complement a magnified optic 2.5x and above. Magnification less than that often isn't much of a crutch for shooting up close, however when you get to 2.5x I've noticed the speed to target acquisition is significantly slowed. Being an older guy used to shooting M16s and CAR-15s with carry handle-mounted optics, I personally like mounting a small RDS on top and towards the objective end of the scope. However, some scope and ring combos prevent that so with a little training the canted method works fine as an alternative.

10-28-2010, 1:27 PM
i have a JPoint in a burkett offset mount on my SPR. it sets the RDS perfectly over the bore.