View Full Version : Opinions on Tiarht Amendment?

10-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Just read this... and I am guessing it was probably a mis representation. Someone set me straight if it was, because right now I am thinking, whats the big deal? Lets snuff out the FFL's that are breaking the law and providing to criminals illegally. Wouldn't it help out our image if we really supported gun laws that made sense, while brutally opposing those that are stupid? I just would love to see gun owners get rid of the dumb, gun loving, hick-*** stigma someday.

10-28-2010, 4:59 PM
Why does the public need access to gun trace info? If crimes are being commited, law enforcement should deal with it. Newspapers and nut-ball mayors don't need know if I bought a gun or not.

10-28-2010, 5:31 PM
Consider the source. Not much good ever comes out of huffingpost in regard to firearms. Not to mention Dennis Henigan is a dishonest antigun zealot. The gun grabbers are trying to get access to information they have no business with so they can claim to have a smoking gun in civil cases.

Those in the antigun establishment are doing everything in their power to harass gun ownership out of existence. That's their true intent.

10-28-2010, 9:46 PM
Couple this with the fact that the feds rarely go after those who are denied via NICS, which probably means they lied on the 4473, a punishable offense.

Dr Rockso
10-28-2010, 9:56 PM
How many other law enforcement databases do we allow unrestricted access to? The people who need the info have access to it, the Bradys just want to cherry pick some stats and make propaganda of it.

But heck, if they want to horse-trade maybe they can support national CCW reciprocity in exchange for repealing Tiahrt.

10-29-2010, 10:24 AM
The Tiahrt Amendment was put in to keep Mayor Bloomberg's private investigators out of BATFE gun trace data. They wanted in so that they could target any FFL who, in their opinion, was supplying "crime guns". Their goal was to sue those FFL out of business, one at a time, until they could (they hope) get them all somehow.

There is no reason for LEA investigatory material to be thrown open like that, particularly when it's in pursuit of a political agenda.... which I think we could agree the Brady gang and Mayor Bloomberg both have as their core motivation.