PDA

View Full Version : Saiga Paint job

Sturnovik
10-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm picking up a Saiga hopefully this Friday and having it shipped to an FFL but am looking at a few different paint jobs for it. I love the black color, but I'm looking at Woodland camo, Urban and my favorite, Arctic. I found a OEM stock that I'm going to try it out on, but also I need to find a OEM forend found on the Saiga.

Do you guys recommend a particular company or method to get the paint job done?

killshot44
10-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Add your location to your visible profile. That'll help.

Sturnovik
10-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Good idea, yea I realize there may be a lot of companies or business that I could ship it to domestically as well though.

stix213
10-28-2010, 12:24 PM
I'll just give you my original Saiga 7.62x39 forearm if you are asking for one to try your paint on without doing the one on your rifle. I live in Sonoma County too so could just meet and hand it to you probably. I never even fired the rifle once with that forearm on so it should be in perfect condition I would think.

rero360
10-28-2010, 1:07 PM
You can do it yourself with Krylon if you feel up to it (extremely easy) or you can go the more long term, proffessional method, in that case I would recomend Cerakote.

Sturnovik
10-28-2010, 1:58 PM
I'll just give you my original Saiga 7.62x39 forearm if you are asking for one to try your paint on without doing the one on your rifle. I live in Sonoma County too so could just meet and hand it to you probably. I never even fired the rifle once with that forearm on so it should be in perfect condition I would think.

Yea I'm still deciding between the 5.56/7.62 caliber really, so Im not sure if I go with the .223 if it'd fit or not. I also am partial to the 5.45 but its just not super available.

Yea I'm thinking of trying it myself but I'd rather not screw it up. That's why I was looking for the OEM stock and found it online. I'd love to find the forend to so I can match the color but I doubt they make one separate like the stock.

What difference between the two you mentioned rero? Is the cerakote longer lasting? I'm going for a good and smooth/durable finish.

rero360
10-28-2010, 2:22 PM
I have no first hand experience with Cerakote, however I've heard nothing but good about it, here is a link watch the two videos in the OP shows pretty good how durable it is, I plan on getting my guns coated in it once I get the funds. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2101729#Post2101729

As far as Krylon, its simple spray paint with a matte finish, its very user friendly and fast and easy to apply, dries super fast. However it tends to wear off rather fast, I painted my AR with Krylon in '08, while it still looks good, I don't baby it, there is plenty of wear around the magwell opening and the trigger guard area.

One method to think about, Frank discusses it it the second video, do a base coat of Cerakote in a tan, green or brown, then use the Krylon on top to develop the camo pattern, that way when the krylon wears you won't have black poking thru and the Cerakote is impervious to most paint strippers, letting you change up the krylon as your environment/ mood warrents.

Sturnovik
10-28-2010, 2:27 PM
I have no first hand experience with Cerakote, however I've heard nothing but good about it, here is a link watch the two videos in the OP shows pretty good how durable it is, I plan on getting my guns coated in it once I get the funds. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2101729#Post2101729

As far as Krylon, its simple spray paint with a matte finish, its very user friendly and fast and easy to apply, dries super fast. However it tends to wear off rather fast, I painted my AR with Krylon in '08, while it still looks good, I don't baby it, there is plenty of wear around the magwell opening and the trigger guard area.

One method to think about, Frank discusses it it the second video, do a base coat of Cerakote in a tan, green or brown, then use the Krylon on top to develop the camo pattern, that way when the krylon wears you won't have black poking thru and the Cerakote is impervious to most paint strippers, letting you change up the krylon as your environment/ mood warrents.

Yea, I mean I plan on only doing the stock and forend, I sorta like the contrast of black receiver, barrel and mags.

Now I just have to decide on calibers!

stix213
10-28-2010, 3:51 PM
Yea I'm still deciding between the 5.56/7.62 caliber really, so Im not sure if I go with the .223 if it'd fit or not. I also am partial to the 5.45 but its just not super available.

Well if you end up needing the forearm from a 7.62x39 Saiga, PM me. And don't forget to post pics of your Saiga when complete!

Sturnovik
10-28-2010, 3:56 PM
I ended up choosing the 7.62 x39! And I will pm you soon if I do decide to go through with this paint job on an extra one instead of the stock one.

Yea this will be arctic camo, with a light attachment/laser and mags painted as well!

barca101
10-28-2010, 5:22 PM
Sturnovik, if your looking for great local Cerakote painter, I would recommend Todd from Phantomfinishing located in Concord, he has a fair price. He has a website with photos.

tpowers
10-28-2010, 6:27 PM
Thanks for the referral.
If you want it to have it last then you definitely want to go with cerakote.
Here is a link to a Saiga 12 that I did.
http://phantomfinishing.com/images/DSC00615.JPG

themailman
10-28-2010, 6:30 PM
http://crc2.net/?page_id=342

Sturnovik
10-28-2010, 7:59 PM
Yea that site you guys mentioned is pretty sweet. Although I'm not looking for some intense pattern just a basic arctic/urban pattern. Those looked a lot more geared toward nature and hunting with all the leaves and grass imprinted on it.

tpowers
10-29-2010, 6:08 AM
With the cerakote you can make it as complex or as simple as you want. If you want give me a call some time and I can help give you some suggestions.

Sturnovik
10-29-2010, 2:26 PM
I will definitely take you up on that, I'll give ya ring in the next week or two.

Thanks for the heads up guys!