View Full Version : Triangular foregrip cap

10-28-2010, 9:16 AM
Copy and pasted my post from Gunsmith forum...

I need some help for you AR15 experts...

I purchased a wood stock set for my AR build and would like to put a 24" bull barrel but need a triangular foregrip cap that is capable of accepting a diameter .920" barrel. Any ideas besides having one machined? All of the ones I have found are limited to .750".

If no luck with that, how about a .750" DIA 24" 5.56 barrel? Any ideas where I could locate that?

10-28-2010, 10:42 AM
You're not going to find (or like) a 24" whippy .750 barrel. Just hog out the hole to .920".

10-28-2010, 10:53 AM
here is a triangular foregrip cap, but i think its for a .750 barrel. Probably best to have it drilled out to .920"


10-28-2010, 12:02 PM
If I have it drilled to .920" won't it require the hole for the gas tube to be moved as well?

11-02-2010, 8:38 AM
I finally found a solution. Not exactly what I wanted, but I think an acceptable solution.

Bushmaster has a heavy barrel 24" at .750" Diameter in SS. I can use the triangular handguard cap made for the heavy barrel and I am good to go!

I wanted to share the answer here incase someone else is looking for a similar solution in the future.

11-02-2010, 8:53 AM
I would go with a 24" .750 barrel from Black Hole Weaponry. CLICK HERE! (www.blackholeweaponry.com)
You can pick your options and also have custom fluting done if you'd like.

11-02-2010, 9:10 AM
Thanks Don. I did see the name from your earlier post.
Looking at my options there, it says Groove: Poly 5 or Match Grade 3 Poly.
Thread Options: Threads or Target Crown

What is the difference for these options?
I assume the barrels are finished and I would not need to do anything else?

11-02-2010, 9:41 AM
Poly 5 is standard rifling and poly 3 is National Match rifling which is better for accuracy at distance. I think there is a link on their website that explains it. If not you can call them and they will explain it better. With a 24" barrel I'm presuming it will be a distange rifle.

Threaded is for muzzle devices (flash suppressor, compensator, muzzle brake) and target crown is no muzzle device.

Machined SS is the standard finsh and is fine if you like that look. That's what I prefer. You can get it finished in black or satin for I believe $15. They also offer custom fluting for $75.

These are quality barrels and they have great customer service.

11-02-2010, 9:49 AM
Ah... Thanks. I was not sure about the threaded thing... In my case not needed as it is only .223 so no device is needed. I do think the Poly 3 is the way to go. You are right, distance on this baby!

Wonder what the difference is between Satin and Machined. Hmmm, I will have to ask them.

11-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Machined will be shiny silver and satin will be more of a flat grey color.

If you go on their website where it says custom fluting the barrels with octagonal, spin off, triangular and twisted fluting are machine finished. That will give you an idea.

11-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Machined finish it is then. :)

I will take your advice and go with them! I am waiting for a reply about the lead times from them now.

Next up is trying to figure out haw the handguard cap works and what gas block to use.
I suppose the handguard cap it held in place by the gas block, yes?

I am using walnut stock set that is like old school M16 type grips. Do I put the triangluar handguard cap on, then push the gasblock up against the handguard cap to hold it in place? If so, How do I know which gasblock will be perfext measurements to line up correctly?

11-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Are you using the walnut set from Precision Firearms?
Yes you put the handguard cap against the shoulder on th barrel and the the gas block against that. All mil spec gas blocks shoud be the same.
What gas block do you have now? I like the looks of the DPMS single rail gas block.

Tell them what you're doing and have the barrel dimpled for the gas block set screws.

11-02-2010, 11:15 AM
I have not picked out a gas block, but I want a really low profile with no rails or sights on it. I was actually looking at the blocks today as well.

The wood stock set I got is the walnut rifle length from Lucid.

If you can't tell, this is my first AR build and I am thinking of trying to build the upper by myself.

11-02-2010, 11:18 AM
i have never seen a wood stock set for a AR, how does it look? does anyone have a pic of one? does it add alot to the weight ?sounds interesting

11-02-2010, 11:28 AM
They have pics online at Rockriverarms.

They do not seem really heavy to me, but is heavier than my Pardus stock on the other AR for sure.

11-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Here's a gasblock for ya. CLICK HERE! (http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product540.html)

It's a good idea to build your own upper. What lower are you using? I have on my computer at home a place that has JD Machine complete upper receivers w/ charging handle for $94.

11-02-2010, 11:48 AM

11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Here's a gasblock for ya. CLICK HERE! (http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product540.html)

It's a good idea to build your own upper. What lower are you using? I have on my computer at home a place that has JD Machine complete upper receivers w/ charging handle for $94.

I like the one with set screws. Do I need to have anything special done to the barrel for that one?

I am going with JD upper to match my lower. Where did you get it if you don't mind sharing? At the last gun show JD was there selling the upper with door for $85! They said I could call their office and they would honor the price. Do not think that was with the charging handle though.

11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
The barrel should be dimpled for the set screws. I'm sure where ever you get thebarrel can do it or you can.

I checked the website where they were on sale and they are sold out. $85 is still a good deal. A charging handle is only about $20.

11-02-2010, 1:00 PM
Thanks for checking the JD upper for me. I would think all barrels would come with the dimple since it is required for the gas blocks.