PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Sheriff Will be at Cow Palace Show on Nov. 13-14 to Take OR CHL Applications

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 7:38 AM
Though this is slightly off-topic for this forum (focused on California issues in specific), a lot of carry license focused people are watching this forum closely and many of these folk have carry licenses in other states. It will be deleted as soon as soon as the show is over in 16 days.

Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant County, Oregon will be making his first appearance in California at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show at the Cow Palace on November 13th and 14th. To make things as smooth as possible and to get as many people through the process as possible, here is the process that every individual applicant needs to followed for those of us reading this post.

Disqualifications under Oregon State Law: Any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors, four years after the serving of sentence and all things with a regular misdemeanors, currently on pre-trial release for any misdemeanor or felony, any 5250's, under 21 years of age, not a US Citizen (yes, we know about this state law, please PM me if you're in this particular class).

Remember that the folks who are "walk ups" may not be required to do this because Sheriff Palmer needs to be flexible to accommodate those folks who are not technologically inclined and didn't know he would be there. We, however, have no such excuse. Let's make things as fast as possible for Sheriff Palmer and get you folks processed as quickly as possible.

1) You will have to pay for admission to the Cow Palace Show. The tickets are $10 at the door (or $9 with a coupon (http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/guncoupn.htm), or you can pay $9 online (https://www.ezticketlive.com/checkout/VenueView/show_view_seats_GA.asp?zm=EXHIBIT&section=HALL&shw=5749&id=29).)

2) Attached to this post (and there will be an online copies hosted elsewhere) is a fillable CHL application for Grant County. Please check it several times to make sure it is filled out correctly. Keep the first sheet so that you have Sheriff Palmer's contact information. Remember, state law requires "other demonstrated need", but Palmer's belief is that self defense is so. So, for page 6, use "self defense".

3) You must have a handgun safety certificate copy. The easiest (and free!) is the Maryland Course (http://www.mdgunsafety.com). NRA Basic Pistol, NRA Home Firearms Safety Course, NRA Personal Protection courses will also work, as well as Nevada and Utah training course certificates.

4) ONE check or money order. $65 made out to "Grant County Sheriff's Office".

5) Please make copies of your drivers license/state ID card. If you have a California PC12050 license or an out of state carry license, please make a copy of that as well.

So, why get an Oregon CHL from Sheriff Palmer?

A) Unlike every other sheriff known in Oregon, Sheriff Palmer is a true believer in the 2nd amendment. He is the only sheriff in Oregon who is willing to come go to shows in other states to take applications, and in fact may be the only issuing authority for CHL's in the United States to do this.

B) It helps his county financially in these tough economic times. His county board of supervisors, despite this, are giving him a lot of hell for doing this sort of thing, and they tend to shut up when he brings in a lot of money to the County Treasury.

C) The CHL exempts you from numerous Oregon state statutes which prohibit you from carrying in public buildings, as well as any local ordinances against carrying of a loaded firearm in public (primarily in Northwest Oregon and in Newport, OR, See ORS 166.370, ORS 166.173).

D) It's another state to add to your list of carry licenses, and gives political pressure against anti-gun states. The more common carry licenses are in general, the better our legal arguments about carry being common.

putput
10-28-2010, 7:58 AM
Does the California Handgun Safety Certificate count?

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 8:12 AM

Let me find that out....stand by.

putput
10-28-2010, 9:20 AM
The Maryland course is super simple...

Python2
10-28-2010, 11:42 AM

I highly doubt it as the requirement for those certificate noted include range time. CHSC do not.

putput
10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks but the Maryland one does not which means I don't care anymore since it took about a 1/2 hour for me to complete it... Still it might help others save some time if they will accept the CA HSC. :D

I highly doubt it as the requirement for those certificate noted include range time. CHSC do not.

edsel6502
10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Disqualifications under Oregon State Law: Any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors, four years after the serving of sentence and all things with a regular misdemeanors, currently on pre-trial release for any misdemeanor or felony, any 5250's, under 21 years of age, not a US Citizen (yes, we know about this state law, please PM me if you're in this particular class).

Why the hate?

;)

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Why the hate?

;)

Legislature wrote the statute poorly. I PM'd you. You interested in challenging this?

-Gray

edsel6502
10-28-2010, 2:30 PM
Legislature wrote the statute poorly. I PM'd you. You interested in challenging this?

-Gray

Replied with email and cell number.

Lets talk. I do not want this to derail current efforts.

flyer898
11-10-2010, 5:53 PM
Does a California CCW qualify as a substitute for the class? It seems that it should unless Oregon's CCW training requirement is more stringent than Californias?

Gray Peterson
11-10-2010, 6:22 PM
Does a California CCW qualify as a substitute for the class? It seems that it should unless Oregon's CCW training requirement is more stringent than Californias?

The CCW by itself does not. The training course you took would be.

-Gray

j-rod
11-12-2010, 2:04 PM
The Oregon CHL form requires 2 forms of Proof of Identification. DL would cover one, what is an acceptable second form of ID for Oregon?

Did we ever find out if the California Handgun Safety Certificate counts?

j-rod
11-12-2010, 2:06 PM
Passport would probably cover it

Gray Peterson
11-12-2010, 2:59 PM
The Oregon CHL form requires 2 forms of Proof of Identification. DL would cover one, what is an acceptable second form of ID for Oregon?

HSC works for both.

Experimentalist
11-13-2010, 9:51 AM
It's a quarter to 10:00, and I *think* we're processing our first applicant. Estimate 10 minutes processing time per applicant, and the fact that I'm #12 in line.... It's gonna be a while.

There are at least 14 others in line behind me, be prepared for a wait

Experimentalist
11-13-2010, 9:55 AM
Important update:

We have been moved to the concession area.

The long line was apparently annoying the other vendors (understandably so).

So now we're setting back up again, and I still don't think we've processed the first applicant.

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 9:56 AM
Important update:

So now we're setting back up again, and I still don't think we've processed the first applicant.

Ouch. :( At least you'll be in concessions area where it's larger.

Experimentalist
11-13-2010, 10:16 AM
We're starting to move now. I think the staff are beginning to hit their stride.

Still, the line is fairly long.

My thanks to everyone who's contributed time an money to making this happen. Two hours in line is still *vastly* preferable to driving to the Sheriff in Oregon.

Experimentalist
11-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Apologies if the play-by-play is annoying; I've had my paperwork accepted, my photograph taken, and now am in the line with the longest wait, the livescan line.

About 10 minutes per applicant for this line. Estimate around 30 people in line just to submit paperwork, and 10 people in the Livescan line.

edwardm
11-13-2010, 10:49 AM
I was first and I was processed before they got moved. :)

Important update:

Experimentalist
11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Just finished the Livescan.

Figure over an hour in line if you're just getting started.

obeygiant
11-13-2010, 10:56 AM

HSC works for both.

WIN!

j.primo
11-13-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm the guy in the back of the line :euro:

CalBear
11-13-2010, 11:08 AM
I see there's more activity in this version of the thread right now. I'll be heading out soon and wanted to know -- I made a copy of my passport for ID. Do I need to show the real thing? Or will a copy suffice? Thanks.

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 11:10 AM
All,

I don't know what happened here, but Palmer needs one check for 65 dollars made out to the Grant County Sheriff's Office.

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 11:11 AM
I see there's more activity in this version of the thread right now. I'll be heading out soon and wanted to know -- I made a copy of my passport for ID. Do I need to show the real thing? Or will a copy suffice? Thanks.

Bring the passport with you just in case.

m1aowner
11-13-2010, 11:39 AM
All,

I don't know what happened here, but Palmer needs one check for 65 dollars made out to the Grant County Sheriff's Office.

Really? I don't have any checks right now, got two money orders. Haven't made them out yet, I should be good right? Plan on going tomorrow, figured today was going to be the learning curve.

Wildeman_13
11-13-2010, 11:56 AM
For those who have not done the Maryland online class yet, their site appeares to be down. I could not find my print out from when I took it a while back and figured I would run through it again but the site is toast. I am guessing it is due to all the people trying to get it done last minute right now.
I will keep trying today and hopefully have it by tomorrow for my booth shift.

I found the back way in... using Cached Google pages.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hHSwkoRS-yAJ:www.mdgunsafety.com/+site:mdgunsafety.com+maryland+gun+safety+course&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The Get Started Link is the empty box towards the top.

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Really? I don't have any checks right now, got two money orders. Haven't made them out yet, I should be good right? Plan on going tomorrow, figured today was going to be the learning curve.

Make them BOTH out to the Grant County Sheriff's Office.

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 12:44 PM
from @calgunsfdn twitter:

Reminder: OR Sheriff Palmer @ Cow Palace gun show this weekend. Get you OR non resident permit there!
about 4 hours ago via Twitter for iPad

Due to tremendous demand, OR sheriff Palmer moved to the concession stand area.
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for iPad

OR non resident permits at Cow Palace: line has caught up. Come get your permit!
24 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
MD GUN Safety website (http://209.48.185.14/welcome.aspx)

Please choose "low bandwidth".

edwardm
11-13-2010, 1:42 PM
Did the sheriff have problems with the livescan reader when he was doing rolls for people that came after me? He had a hell of a time rolling mine, and my prints aren't worn/damaged/invisible.

Also, for anyone who hasn't gone yet, his wife and daughter are his support crew. Both are really nice folks (the kind of people you'd want as neighbors). If I'd been thinking, I would have made them some cookies. Now I feel bad. :(

Experimentalist
11-13-2010, 2:38 PM
Did the sheriff have problems with the livescan reader when he was doing rolls for people that came after me? He had a hell of a time rolling mine, and my prints aren't worn/damaged/invisible.

My fingerprint scans went just fine. One or two hiccups, one with a finger that has a scar on it.

... If I'd been thinking, I would have made them some cookies. Now I feel bad. :(

I gave them some of the almonds I had purchased while we were waiting out in the main hall. Not as good as cookies, to be sure.

fairfaxjim
11-13-2010, 2:54 PM

Also, for anyone who hasn't gone yet, his wife and daughter are his support crew. Both are really nice folks (the kind of people you'd want as neighbors). If I'd been thinking, I would have made them some cookies. Now I feel bad. :(

I was about #7 and he had a ***** of a hard time with mine. He had to do each finger at least 3 times and manually accept the best reject for most of them. As he explained it, my prints are very shallow and very fine (narrow grooves) that result in "black spots" in the scan that the software doesn't like.

Sheriff Palmer, his wife & daughter, and all of the Calguns volunteers ROCK! They powered through the adversity of getting up and running and having to move things around (I thought the show staff was a llittle less than polite about the number of people - although they did come up with a fix. And, to be fair, they had other vendors *****ing complaining at them.)

Hopefully the lessons learned today will make future shows much smoother. Of course when the pent up demand is handled, the number of applicants should drop significantly.

j.primo
11-13-2010, 3:02 PM
He got mine in one shot. He said I had deep fingerprints

edwardm
11-13-2010, 4:08 PM
Maybe I should have moisturized first. ;)

The first vendor I heard complain was the old crusty fella selling swords next to the Sheriff's table. Gene hopped on that sh*t posthaste to avert strife. I don't know who complained later (as far as vendors).

Given the turnout today, I think Sheriff Palmer is going to have his hands REALLY full with his first SoCal show.

I was about #7 and he had a ***** of a hard time with mine. He had to do each finger at least 3 times and manually accept the best reject for most of them. As he explained it, my prints are very shallow and very fine (narrow grooves) that result in "black spots" in the scan that the software doesn't like.

Sheriff Palmer, his wife & daughter, and all of the Calguns volunteers ROCK! They powered through the adversity of getting up and running and having to move things around (I thought the show staff was a llittle less than polite about the number of people - although they did come up with a fix. And, to be fair, they had other vendors *****ing complaining at them.)

Hopefully the lessons learned today will make future shows much smoother. Of course when the pent up demand is handled, the number of applicants should drop significantly.

RP1911
11-13-2010, 4:29 PM
So it is $65 total for the app and livescan, plus entry fee right?

Baja_Traveler
11-13-2010, 4:58 PM
Dang - I hope he comes to Del Mar in December. I'll be all over that!

wrdavis
11-13-2010, 5:31 PM
$5 San Mateo Bridge toll
$8 Cow Palace parking
$10 Cow Palace Ticket
$65 OR Sheriff CCW permit
$45 Gas to /from bay area

Permit to show my Oregon friends -- priceless

RP1911
11-13-2010, 5:36 PM
$5 San Mateo Bridge toll
$8 Cow Palace parking
$10 Cow Palace Ticket
$65 OR Sheriff CCW permit
$45 Gas to /from bay area

Permit to show my Oregon friends -- priceless

Good one!

I wish I still rode motorcycles. Parking would be free plus gas cost would be around $20.00.

Purple K
11-13-2010, 5:50 PM
Once again... Calguns Rocks! Bringin' it to the people.

cedricxerxes
11-14-2010, 9:42 AM
Thanks to Gray, Calguns, Sheriff Palmer, and everyone involved for making this happen.

I am really glad I got there early. I was second in line and got a chance to talk with Sheriff Palmer and Gene while everything was being set up.

Any rough idea how many people were processed?

m1aowner
11-14-2010, 5:50 PM
Went today after 1. No wait, in and out. Thanks sheriff. Anybody know how long it takes to process?

edwardm
11-14-2010, 7:06 PM
No more than 45 days per OR statute.

Went today after 1. No wait, in and out. Thanks sheriff. Anybody know how long it takes to process?

hoffmang
11-14-2010, 9:47 PM
No more than 45 days per OR statute.

He had close to 150 total applications. As such, it shouldn't take too long, but please don't complain if it takes a bit more than that simply based on volume.

-Gene

nick
11-14-2010, 10:45 PM
Any news on him coming to SoCal?

Gray Peterson
11-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Any news on him coming to SoCal?

We will post when we find out word.