PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Sheriff Will be at Cow Palace Show on Nov. 13-14 to Take OR CHL Applications

Pages : [1] 2

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 6:14 AM
Sheriff Glenn Palmer of Grant County, Oregon will be making his first appearance in California at the Crossroads of the West Gun Show at the Cow Palace on November 13th and 14th. To make things as smooth as possible and to get as many people through the process as possible, here is the process that every individual applicant needs to followed for those of us reading this post.

Disqualifications under Oregon State Law: Any felonies or domestic violence misdemeanors, four years after the serving of sentence and all things with a regular misdemeanors, currently on pre-trial release for any misdemeanor or felony, any 5250's, under 21 years of age, not a US Citizen (yes, we know about this state law, please PM me if you're in this particular class).

Remember that the folks who are "walk ups" may not be required to do this because Sheriff Palmer needs to be flexible to accommodate those folks who are not technologically inclined and didn't know he would be there. We, however, have no such excuse. Let's make things as fast as possible for Sheriff Palmer and get you folks processed as quickly as possible.

1) You will have to pay for admission to the Cow Palace Show. The tickets are $10 at the door (or $9 with a coupon (http://www.crossroadsgunshows.com/guncoupn.htm), or you can pay $9 online (https://www.ezticketlive.com/checkout/VenueView/show_view_seats_GA.asp?zm=EXHIBIT&section=HALL&shw=5749&id=29).)

2) Attached to this post (and there will be an online copies hosted elsewhere) is a fillable CHL application for Grant County. Please check it several times to make sure it is filled out correctly. Keep the first sheet so that you have Sheriff Palmer's contact information. Remember, state law requires "other demonstrated need", but Palmer's belief is that self defense is so. So, for page 6, use "self defense".

3) You must have a handgun safety certificate copy. The easiest (and free!) is the Maryland Course (http://www.mdgunsafety.com). NRA Basic Pistol, NRA Home Firearms Safety Course, NRA Personal Protection courses will also work, as well as Nevada and Utah training course certificates.

4) One check or money order for $65, made out to the Grant County Sheriff's Office.

5) Please make copies of your drivers license/state ID card. If you have a California PC12050 license or an out of state carry license, please make a copy of that as well.

So, why get an Oregon CHL from Sheriff Palmer?

A) Unlike every other sheriff known in Oregon, Sheriff Palmer is a true believer in the 2nd amendment. He is the only sheriff in Oregon who is willing to come go to shows in other states to take applications, and in fact may be the only issuing authority for CHL's in the United States to do this.

B) It helps his county financially in these tough economic times. His county board of supervisors, despite this, are giving him a lot of hell for doing this sort of thing, and they tend to shut up when he brings in a lot of money to the County Treasury.

C) The CHL exempts you from numerous Oregon state statutes which prohibit you from carrying in public buildings, as well as any local ordinances against carrying of a loaded firearm in public (primarily in Northwest Oregon and in Newport, OR, See ORS 166.370, ORS 166.173).

D) It's another state to add to your list of carry licenses, and gives political pressure against anti-gun states. The more common carry licenses are in general, the better our legal arguments about carry being common.

DGoodale
10-28-2010, 6:46 AM
Gray, do you know the wait time after filing to receive the permit? I ask b/c I'm headed through OR to WA shortly thereafter and wonder if I could have the permit by Thanksgiving? I know the wheels of gov't turn slow so I'm not holding my breath.
Thx!

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 6:49 AM
Gray, do you know the wait time after filing to receive the permit? I ask b/c I'm headed through OR to WA shortly thereafter and wonder if I could have the permit by Thanksgiving? I know the wheels of gov't turn slow so I'm not holding my breath.
Thx!

State law says up to 45 days. Given the numerous amount of licenses he will likely be asked for, it'll probably take that long.

-Gray

DGoodale
10-28-2010, 7:19 AM
Thanks, and thanks again for all your work with this project and for all your other irons in the fire!

wrdavis
10-28-2010, 8:27 AM
Do you have a map of where the booth will be inside the Cow Palace? Like to get in line there first and look at guns & stuff second.

zinfull
10-28-2010, 8:28 AM
Sorry if this is a brain cramp but

2) Attached to this post (and there will be an online copies hosted elsewhere) is a fillable CHL application for Grant County.

where?

jerry

WokMaster1
10-28-2010, 8:38 AM
Gray, is this the current & correct application?
http://www.benjamincannon.net/oregonchl_pub_0001.pdf

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 8:41 AM
It's attached now. I'll be looking to have it posted elsewhere soon.

SgtDinosaur
10-28-2010, 8:57 AM
Any reason the California DOJ Handgun Safety Certificate is not included in the list above?

cadurand
10-28-2010, 8:59 AM
Just a couple quick questions to help me be fully prepared on the day of the show.

1. The Date on the second page, should that be the date I'm at the show or the date I fill out the form?
2. On page 5. Can I sign this ahead of time or should I wait and sign in the presence of the Sheriff?
3. On page 3 where it asks for Character References. I don't see any stipulation on who we can use for this. Can it be family?

dfletcher
10-28-2010, 9:11 AM
I'm doing the Maryland test now and will be ready to go, just want to be sure - be at the gun show, have all my paperwork in order and the fees and we'll be processed, correct?

I visit southern OR several times a year and this will be very nice to have.

PanchoVilla
10-28-2010, 9:15 AM
Questions on the process at the show.

Is there going to be a single line, or one for pre filled out paperwork and one for people who need to do their own paperwork.

Is there any way to sign up in advance or is it just line up when you get there.

I can go on sat late or sunday first thing. I am guessing that sunday first thing is going to give me a shorter line waiting time. I mean every minute standing is line is one less minute I could be browsing other gun related items, like beef jerky....... (so many freaking beef jerky sellers there)

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 9:15 AM
I'm doing the Maryland test now and will be ready to go, just want to be sure - be at the gun show, have all my paperwork in order and the fees and we'll be processed, correct?

I visit southern OR several times a year and this will be very nice to have.

Yes, correct.

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 9:16 AM
Questions on the process at the show.

Is there going to be a single line, or one for pre filled out paperwork and one for people who need to do their own paperwork.

Don't know yet.

Is there any way to sign up in advance or is it just line up when you get there.

Just line up.

I can go on sat late or sunday first thing. I am guessing that sunday first thing is going to give me a shorter line waiting time. I mean every minute standing is line is one less minute I could be browsing other gun related items, like beef jerky....... (so many freaking beef jerky sellers there)

Sounds like a personal problem. :chris:

putput
10-28-2010, 9:19 AM
Do we know what's acceptable as the second form of ID?

stag1500
10-28-2010, 9:51 AM
Do we know what's acceptable as the second form of ID?

A U.S. Passport would be a good one. I would imagine any state issued id/license (i.e. a Nevada CCW).

stag1500
10-28-2010, 9:52 AM
Should we get finger print cards from UPS prior to the show or will we get finger printed right then and there at the Cow Palace?

dfletcher
10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
A U.S. Passport would be a good one. I would imagine any state issued id/license (i.e. a Nevada CCW).

Regarding ID, app says one form must be photo (which I'd presume for all of us is CDL) but that 2nd form does not need to be photo so I'm wondering on the following:

C & R FFL, BFSC Safety Card, COE, Utah non - resident CCW?

In addition to the completed OR application, I plan on bringing a blank one just in case I've made a mistake.

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Should we get finger print cards from UPS prior to the show or will we get finger printed right then and there at the Cow Palace?

Sheriff Palmer will be bringing his fingerprinting machine to the Cow Palace (the portable one we raised money for).

Regarding ID, app says one form must be photo (which I'd presume for all of us is CDL) but that 2nd form does not need to be photo so I'm wondering on the following:

C & R FFL, BFSC Safety Card, COE, Utah non - resident CCW?

In addition to the completed OR application, I plan on bringing a blank one just in case I've made a mistake.

Those will all work. I'm still checking on the HSC card thing for training.

stag1500
10-28-2010, 12:25 PM
A U.S. passport would be a good idea for those of us, myself included, who were not born in the U.S. but are U.S. citizens. That's what I've done when I applied for my Nevada, Utah and Florida permits.

JimAmentler
10-28-2010, 12:33 PM
Outstanding! I just spoke to Sheriff Palmer and thanked him for all he does for us and the Second Amendment.

As I will be at the Marine Corps Ball the weekend that he is here, I will be driving to his office after that date.

Also, for those who have attended my CCW course, Sheriff Palmer confirmed that the certificate of training that I have given you serves as proof of training for him.

S/F!

jbolton
10-28-2010, 1:42 PM
Whats the benifit of the Oregon permit? Utah seems like the best one at this point. More states.

adrenalinemedic
10-28-2010, 2:12 PM
3) You must have a handgun safety certificate copy. The easiest (and free!) is the Maryland Course (http://www.mdgunsafety.com). NRA Basic Pistol, NRA Home Firearms Safety Course, NRA Personal Protection courses will also work, as well as Nevada and Utah training course certificates.

Is there a military/LEO exemption for this like CA?

bulgron
10-28-2010, 2:18 PM
Whats the benifit of the Oregon permit? Utah seems like the best one at this point. More states.

Oregon gets you carry rights in Oregon. To my knowledge, no other permit does that.

I currently have Utah and Nevada. Got Nevada when they stopped recognizing Utah.

If the Republican wave is big enough next week, maybe they'll pass a CCW reciprocity admendment at the Federal level and we can stop getting multiple out of state permits.

Then when California starts issuing on a reasonable basis, we can stop getting out of state permits entirely. Wouldn't that be nice?

Havoc70
10-28-2010, 2:58 PM
Would an expired passport work as second ID? Probably not, but all I have is my CDL.

dfletcher
10-28-2010, 4:20 PM

Overall more states recognize UT non-resident. But OR does not recognize UT non-res so if you frequent OR and want to carry, the OR non-res allows you to do that which UT non-res does not.

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 5:08 PM
All,

I'm going to be clarifying with Sheriff Palmer by this weekend whether or not the 2nd ID thing will be required or if an HSC can be used in lieu of the Maryland training.

As to who asked about Oregon and what's the value of it, I sort of explained it in this thread already about the exemptions an Oregon license gets you. You're exempted from all local gun regulation, you can carry in any public building state-level or below (but not federal), and it's a way of supporting a true believer in the 2nd amendment.

stag1500
10-28-2010, 7:59 PM
Would an expired passport work as second ID? Probably not, but all I have is my CDL.

It's better than nothing and it can't hurt.

Joe
10-28-2010, 8:09 PM
Maybe I missed it, but what states is this permit for? Only Oregon?

stag1500
10-28-2010, 8:29 PM

Yes.

Joe
10-28-2010, 8:33 PM
Yes.

Thankyou!

CenterX
10-28-2010, 8:34 PM
Any reason the California DOJ Handgun Safety Certificate is not included in the list above?

I'm suspecting it is based upon actual live fire testing - required in Nevada, as well as a bit tougher examination. CA may someday add live fire testing - hold your breath.....

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 8:39 PM
I'm suspecting it is based upon actual live fire testing - required in Nevada, as well as a bit tougher examination. CA may someday add live fire testing - hold your breath.....

No, because the mdgunsafety.com website doesn't require live fire either.

-Gray

Nor-Cal
10-28-2010, 8:48 PM
I seen on the first page of the CHL application that it requres fingerprinted and Photograph! Will the sheriff also be taking the photos? Or what's the deal?

Gray Peterson
10-28-2010, 8:58 PM
I seen on the first page of the CHL application that it requres fingerprinted and Photograph! Will the sheriff also be taking the photos? Or what's the deal?

That's right. Sheriff Palmer will have a camera and the fingerprint scanner on site. Oregon state law requires this.

Please note also there will be some customers at the table who will be surprised and didn't know he would be here but don't have the checks or the money. We expect this to be an exception not a rule. There will be a "waiting for further documents/checks/whatever" stack, the important part is to take the app, photo, and fingerprint. Those of us on the internet, however, have plenty of warning. Let's make it as smooth as possible for Sheriff Palmer to do this job...

-Gray

Nor-Cal
10-28-2010, 9:20 PM
That's right. Sheriff Palmer will have a camera and the fingerprint scanner on site. Oregon state law requires this.

Please note also there will be some customers at the table who will be surprised and didn't know he would be here but don't have the checks or the money. We expect this to be an exception not a rule. There will be a "waiting for further documents/checks/whatever" stack, the important part is to take the app, photo, and fingerprint. Those of us on the internet, however, have plenty of warning. Let's make it as smooth as possible for Sheriff Palmer to do this job...

-Gray

Thanks for answering my question Gary, I was aware of the livescan but was unsure of the picture part. Also another question, in reguards to the list of refrences it ask for can it be family members or is there restrictions on who you can put as a character refrence? Thanks in advance again!

uyoga
10-28-2010, 9:39 PM
CGF deserves a lot of credit for its foresight in arranging Sheriff Palmer's attendance at the Cow Palace. Let's make sure we have an abundance of help and helping hands to make the entire effort flawless.

I know there are plans to try to get Sheriff Palmer to a Gun Show in Southern/Central CA. Is there some kind of timetable in the planning stage yet?

BusBoy
10-29-2010, 8:36 AM
CGF deserves a lot of credit for its foresight in arranging Sheriff Palmer's attendance at the Cow Palace. Let's make sure we have an abundance of help and helping hands to make the entire effort flawless.

I know there are plans to try to get Sheriff Palmer to a Gun Show in Southern/Central CA. Is there some kind of timetable in the planning stage yet?

Im betting the Cow Palace show will see an up-tick in attendance and it wont be because of the show but because of the Oregon CHL event there... Oh and the Calguns Booth!!!

dfletcher
10-29-2010, 8:45 AM

Regarding reciprocity, I pulled this off the net. Note it shows states that honor OR CCW - and that it specifies some states (NV, for example) as honoring OR resident CCW only. Which leads me to believe the other states stating they honor OR CCW mean resident and nonresident - otherwise, why make the distinction in NV?

I'd also presume NV doesn't honor OR nonres for the same reason it dropped UT.

http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/oregon-ccw-state-laws.php

bulgron
10-29-2010, 8:57 AM
I'd also presume NV doesn't honor OR nonres for the same reason it dropped UT.

Deleted comment. NV doesn't honor UT.

dfletcher
10-29-2010, 9:18 AM
NV dropped UT because too many people were getting UT and not NV, and that was costing NV revenue. NV made up some story about hinky trainers for UT, but that was just an excuse. It was purely a revenue play.

I do recall that being discussed - what would be NV reason (real or stated) for honoring OR resident, but not OR nonresident?

Gray Peterson
10-29-2010, 9:24 AM
Nevada CCW reciprocity page (http://nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml)

Don't see Oregon in there.

bulgron
10-29-2010, 9:24 AM
I do recall that being discussed - what would be NV reason (real or stated) for honoring OR resident, but not OR nonresident?

lol. I'm having a bad morning here. Deleted this comment.

walkstep
10-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Will a California CCW satisfy item #3 (handgun safety certificate)? It does for firearms purchases.

wrdavis
10-29-2010, 2:19 PM
There's at least two threads with this subject; one is a sticky and the other not. Can they be merged somehow?

Gray Peterson
10-29-2010, 2:26 PM
There's at least two threads with this subject; one is a sticky and the other not. Can they be merged somehow?

The other thread has to do with raising money for Sheriff Palmer.

wildhawker
10-29-2010, 2:48 PM

The other should probably just go into the "Best Of" archive.

wrdavis
10-29-2010, 5:41 PM
OK maybe they are on different subjects, but looks the same to me.

Oregon Sheriff Will be at Cow Palace Show on Nov. 13-14 to Take OR CHL Applications
is two pages.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=357283&page=2

Oregon Sheriff Will be at Cow Palace Show on Nov. 13-14 to Take OR CHL Applications
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=357286
is only one page

Gray Peterson
10-29-2010, 6:10 PM
Yep, I put it into the Calguns CCW Information Forum for a reason. :)

JimWest
10-29-2010, 6:46 PM
Does this permit have to be renewed periodically? Certainly I think it would but I didn't see a specific time period in the PDF app you posted.

Joe
10-29-2010, 7:00 PM
Does this permit have to be renewed periodically? Certainly I think it would but I didn't see a specific time period in the PDF app you posted.

According to http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/oregon-ccw-state-laws.php

New: $65. Renewal $50. 4 years
Issuing Authority: County Sheriff

MSO4MATT
10-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Will applying for or having a OR permit show up during a DOJ background check or future livescan processes?

hoffmang
10-29-2010, 10:08 PM
Will applying for or having a OR permit show up during a DOJ background check or future livescan processes?

No but why would you even worry about that?

-Gene

pitchbaby
10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
After all the hopes and donations... Now it seems I can't make it to this show. Any chance there is something he may be planning to attend closer to Sacramento in the foreseeable future?

wrdavis
10-30-2010, 5:59 AM
Do they wand you at the door and make you take a pocket knife back to your car? Haven't been to a gun show in years and back then, I don't think wands existed. LOL

Last time (nearly 40 years ago) at the Cow Palace I ended up buying a sailboat. As I remember its a pretty big place. Do you have a map of where the booth will be inside the Cow Palace? Like to get in line there first and look at guns & stuff second.

JimWest
10-30-2010, 7:00 PM
According to http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/oregon-ccw-state-laws.php

New: $65. Renewal $50. 4 years
Issuing Authority: County Sheriff

4 years for $50? That fits my gotta have factor.

hoffmang
10-30-2010, 7:24 PM
Do they wand you at the door and make you take a pocket knife back to your car? Haven't been to a gun show in years and back then, I don't think wands existed. LOL

Last time (nearly 40 years ago) at the Cow Palace I ended up buying a sailboat. As I remember its a pretty big place. Do you have a map of where the booth will be inside the Cow Palace? Like to get in line there first and look at guns & stuff second.

1. No wand.

2. It will be very hard to miss as the actual floor space used for the cow palace gun show is restricted to a smaller space.

-Gene

nicki
10-30-2010, 7:51 PM
The guys at Calguns worked very hard to make this happen.

All of us who can make it to the gun show should go there and get the Oregon CCW. That sheriff is going out of his way to serve us.

The more of us that show, the better for all of us.

Hell, if enough of us show, it could make the local or even national news.
Saturdays are generally SLOW NEWS DAYS.

Imagine Gene, Brandon and/or Gray being on the Saturday evening news.

This would create a nice controversy, Good Cop (Ours) versus bad Cop ( someone from a bay area department).

Nicki

otteray
10-30-2010, 9:53 PM
I am so looking forward to volunteering at the Calguns booth that Sunday morning!
This will be an epic event to attend!
Another ray of bright sunshine for our rights.
See you all there.
But if you do come, please make sure that your paperwork is in order beforehand, as discussed in the other thread.

andalusi
10-31-2010, 8:40 PM
3. On page 3 where it asks for Character References. I don't see any stipulation on who we can use for this. Can it be family?

Seconding this question. That's the only part I'm waiting on before finishing my application.

Nor-Cal
10-31-2010, 9:00 PM
Seconding this question. That's the only part I'm waiting on before finishing my application.

+++ 3 I also had this question I sent a PM to gary to find out hopefully he chimes in and let's us know? I'm guessing we can use family since it dosent state otherwise but better be sure so we fill out the application correctly!

j.primo
10-31-2010, 10:10 PM
Awesome. I'll see you guys there. Thank you

+4 on the character references question.

jccam
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
1) Any idea how long the process will take once you get to the table? A few minutes?

2) Will the Sheriff attend any other shows besides this one?

I want to be at the Cow Palace but have a major schedule conflict---but I might have time for a dash-in, dash-out. Any suggestions?

Andy Taylor
11-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Got it all together, just waiting for the gun show now. What time do the doors open?

First California Gun Show I have bothered to go to in 12 years.

Joe
11-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Any answer on the character reference question

otteray
11-03-2010, 4:42 PM
I'm submitting two names, my daughter in Oregon and my b- in-law in San Jose.

No mention on the form about non-relatives only. So why the worry????

Nor-Cal
11-03-2010, 4:47 PM
Gary recommended using friends as character refrences, but the application is not specific to who we can use.

hoffmang
11-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Bump for this weekend.

-Gene

Steyrlp10
11-05-2010, 1:45 PM
Got it all together, just waiting for the gun show now. What time do the doors open?

First California Gun Show I have bothered to go to in 12 years.

If you go to the actual gun show thread in the SF Bay Forum, Bplvr has the times posted right at the beginning. The easiest way to find the thread is to begin at this site's home page and click on the link that says "San Francisco."

Thanks!

mhael
11-05-2010, 7:45 PM
Hi,

This is great that he is doing this, unfortunately this is a 7 hour drive so I wont be able to make it. Will the sheriff take mailed applications with finger print cards or do we know if he has any plans to travel farther south? thanks!
Trevor

Gray Peterson
11-05-2010, 8:06 PM
Hi,

This is great that he is doing this, unfortunately this is a 7 hour drive so I wont be able to make it. Will the sheriff take mailed applications with finger print cards or do we know if he has any plans to travel farther south? thanks!
Trevor

No, at this time he most only take them in person, and yes he does plan to come down south.

hoffmang
11-05-2010, 8:31 PM
If you go to the actual gun show thread in the SF Bay Forum, Bplvr has the times posted right at the beginning. The easiest way to find the thread is to begin at this site's home page and click on the link that says "San Francisco."

Thanks!

And here is a handy link to that thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=338032

-Gene

blueviper
11-05-2010, 9:00 PM
tag

Joe
11-05-2010, 9:17 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one of these.

Joe
11-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Just filled out all of my information. I'll be there on Saturday

uyoga
11-06-2010, 2:31 PM
Will a Florida Training Course Certificate suffice for the Handgun Safety Certificate requirement? I see that NV and UT are acceptable, but what about FL? Thanks.

pitchbaby
11-06-2010, 4:47 PM
Once again, I hope it's not considered a thread jack here... There was never a response to what I hoped to find out earlier in this thread... I simply cannot make it to COW Palace this weekend. I know there must be other guys like me in Norcal who donated to this cause but can't get to this show this weekend.

Is there any word about other NorCal shows in the coming lineup for Sheriff Palmer?

pitchbaby
11-06-2010, 4:47 PM
Once again, I hope it's not considered a thread jack here... There was never a response to what I hoped to find out earlier in this thread... I simply cannot make it to COW Palace this weekend. I know there must be other guys like me in Norcal who donated to this cause but can't get to this show this weekend.

Is there any word about other NorCal shows in the coming lineup for Sheriff Palmer?

EDIT: I meant to say next weekend. Can't get there NEXT... weekend. Sorry if that was confusing.

mhael
11-06-2010, 8:04 PM
Thanks for the response, I will be waiting for him to journey s little farther south and I will be there!

Gray Peterson
11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Update: do not write two checks. Just $65 for Grant County Sheriff. They went to an invoicing system with the OSP.

MudCamper
11-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Is Oregon shall issue or may issue? I thought it was shall issue, but looking at the app it looks may. Character references, arrest records (not conviction), good cause statements - these are all the earmarks of a may issue system. So yeah, this sheriff is pro 2A, but what about the next sheriff when our renewals come up?

hoffmang
11-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Is Oregon shall issue or may issue? I thought it was shall issue, but looking at the app it looks may. Character references, arrest records (not conviction), good cause statements - these are all the earmarks of a may issue system. So yeah, this sheriff is pro 2A, but what about the next sheriff when our renewals come up?

OR is shall issue for OR residents and may issue for non-residents. Sheriff Palmer is shall issue for non-residents.

-Gene

Joe
11-06-2010, 11:51 PM
Update: do not write two checks. Just $65 for Grant County Sheriff. They went to an invoicing system with the OSP.

Awesome. Now I only need one money order.

Gray Peterson
11-07-2010, 12:02 AM

I predict that by 2012, it'll be shall-issue for non-residents too, either by legislation or by court case...

Andy Taylor
11-07-2010, 6:46 AM
Would getting a money order ahead of time be better than a check?

NoahTall
11-07-2010, 7:15 AM
Wow, what a find! Thanks CALGUNS for putting this together. I'm ashamed for not keeping up with this forum. See you all there.

The question was asked earlier, but I didn't see an answer. Sorry if it was obvious:

Does a CA CCW satisfy the training req? (oops-nevermind...looks like CA/NV/UT training should cover)
Thanks!

thrasherfox
11-07-2010, 8:10 AM
Ok, I have read all three pages of this thread and did not find the answer I needed.

Again forgive me for any questions that might appear stupid to some. I have been cave dwelling for the last 48 years (i.e. flying under the radar, don't pop my head up much)

1) I do not currently have a CCW in California. I have applied a few times but turned down due to not having what the local PD consider "Good Cause"

Is the Sheriff only doing this for people who have current California CCW's? or is he doing this for everyone and even if you don't have a CA CCW, as long as you pass his requirements he is granting people a CCW for his state?

2) I never go to Oregon. Ever. Since this is only good for Oregon and if I am allowed to get one, is there a reason I should try and get one through this Sheriff?

I already have a handgun safety course certificate, and I will be attending a recognized initial CCW training course with live-fire November 12th and 13th. And I was told I will be getting the certificate on the 13th. So I could drive up from the Fresno area with a hand gun safety certificate, initial CCW training certificate and three character reference letters.

I am currently in the process of submitting a request again for a CCW from my local PD. this time my local PD has a requirement to submit three character reference letters. So I have three, one from my father inlaw, one from my pastor who has known me for over 20 years and one from a friend of mine who is a county judge. I am hopeful with these three character references that I will be able to get my CA CCW this time, but I am not holding my breath

hoffmang
11-07-2010, 8:18 AM
thrasherfox,

1. This is for anyone who can meet the requirements and does not require a CA CCW. HSC or the MD online course in the OP should work. You would get one of these because you visit or drive through OR.

2. The references are just names that are unlikely to be called. As long as they know who you are you don't need to worry about them.

3. If you live in Fresno County you should be able to get a permit.

-Gene

wildhawker
11-07-2010, 10:09 AM
thrasher, as Gene said, Fresno County will issue you a permit as long as you are not a prohibited person.

Skip the PD and apply directly to the Sheriff. Fresno PD is nearly no-issue.

Wildhawk66
11-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Application and associated paperwork/training/copies done. See you guys at the cow palace. Thanks to those making this happen.

thrasherfox
11-07-2010, 11:08 AM
thrasher, as Gene said, Fresno County will issue you a permit as long as you are not a prohibited person.

Skip the PD and apply directly to the Sheriff. Fresno PD is nearly no-issue.

Unfortunately on web sites I normally say I live "near Fresno" dont like to actually say where I specifically live (I am paranoid and have my reasons lol )

Actually unfortunately I live in Kings County. (the next county over from Fresno County)

I would like to state that I have friends that work for the local PD, I have friends that work for the Sheriffs department and I have friends who are DA's and judges in the county. I have the utmost respect for all of them and police in general.

I dont blame local PD's for being reluctant because people these days are sue happy. No one wants to be responsible if someone nuts up when day and goes balistic.

And I am pretty confident if someone with a CCW just lost it one day and starting popping people, the CCW isuing authority is going to have a la suit brought against them and the gun control freaks will have a field day with it.

So I totally get it that departments don't want to be the one to have to deal with that stuff.

But Kings County (I applied with them years ago) seems to have a policy that if the local PD turns someone down they normally don't go against the local PD.

But the last time I tried was like 5 years ago, I have been told by friends who work for the PD things have changed, so who knows, maybe I will get lucky this time.

thrasherfox
11-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Never mind, just went back and read the first part of the post, he will be there on the 14th so I can just drive up Sunday

Gray Peterson
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I dont blame local PD's for being reluctant because people these days are sue happy. No one wants to be responsible if someone nuts up when day and goes balistic.

And I am pretty confident if someone with a CCW just lost it one day and starting popping people, the CCW isuing authority is going to have a la suit brought against them and the gun control freaks will have a field day with it.

This is one of the biggest lies spread by an issuing authority there is involving CCW's. They have total and complete immunity from tort liability lawsuits.

Can you imagine for a minute what would happen if one can sue the DMV for issuing to someone who was a drunk driver?

There is no reason at all to be concerned about lawsuits against the sheriff or a police department.

First, the language of Government Code 818.4 immunizes a public agency for any injuries in any way connected to a licensing of anything. Second, Government Code 821.2 immunizes all public employees in a similar fashion.

Cases that extensively discuss this is are as follows:

Nunn v. State of California (1984) 35 Cal.3d 616, 627. State and employees immune from tort liability for discretionary acts, such as not issuing BCIS Exposed Firearms Permit to Mr. Nunn (who perished while there was some form of regulatory mix-up while on patrol at a community college).

People v. Superior Court (Wilson) (1993) 18 Cal.App.4th 31, 37-39. State and
employees immune from liability for failure to revoke a driver's license.

Colome v. State Athletic Commission (1996) 47 Cal.App.4th 1444, 1455-1456. State and Employees immue from liability for issuance of boxing license.

Rosenthal v. Vogt (1991) 229 Cal.App.4th 69, 75. State and employees immune from liability for disbarment of an attorney.

West v. State (1986) 181 Cal.App.3rd 753, 760-761. State and employees immune from liability for injuries resulting from issuance of a contractor's license.

Hirsh v. State by and through the DMV (1974) 42 Cal.App.3d 252. State and employees immune from negligent issuance of vehicle title and registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles.

As you can see, even though California is known as being extremely litigious, the above cases and statutes protect the sheriffs or police chiefs from all liability in state court. In federal court, the only thing that one could be tort liable is a policy which violates the applicant's civil rights under 42USC1983, and that can only come from refusing to issue a CCW, not actually issuing one.

AAShooter
11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
What is needed for the "Need Statement" on page 6? Do we need anything there?

I am assuming my NRA Instructor credentials will suffice for the training requirement.

thrasherfox
11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Ok, this board is pretty awesome. wealth of knowledge :cheers2:

AAShooter
11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

No guarantees in life.

CSDGuy
11-07-2010, 12:27 PM
What they're afraid of is political liability. Get bad enough press and the public might not re-elect them to another term or the City Council might decide to find another PD Chief...

dfletcher
11-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Regarding the single payment update - $65.00 to Grant County Sheriff's Dept - a personal check or USPS MO is OK, correct?

AAShooter
11-07-2010, 1:48 PM
Will the sheriff be in the CalGun booth or his own booth. Can you be more specific?

CalBear
11-07-2010, 2:00 PM
I'm planning on doing the Nevada course and app at some point, but I figure if I can apply for this at the Cow Palace next weekend, I might as well do Oregon too.

I just want to make sure the course I took earlier this year will suffice. I took an NRA first steps pistol course with Bill Tidwell.

http://train2besafe.com/newcoursedescriptions.html

During the first two evenings, students will be instructed in gun safety, and will become
familiar with a selection of revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. On the range, the student will
fire both .22 caliber revolvers and autoloaders. Continuing in the classroom, the course will
cover cleaning, storage, and selection of a personal handgun.

The course fee of $140.00 includes all range & classroom fees, books, targets, ammunition
and the use of handguns, and eye & ear protection.

In addition, you will need to attach to your application or provide documentation to demonstrate
competency and proficiency by any of the methods prescribed by Oregon law.
 Completion of any NRA firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of
the course
It seems like that course will suffice. It included lots of firearm safety info, included range practice, and handgun safety was the whole point of the course. Will a copy of the certificate I got from that course should be sufficient? Thanks.

otteray
11-07-2010, 2:04 PM
Regarding the single payment update - $65.00 to Grant County Sheriff's Dept - a personal check or USPS MO is OK, correct?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=5202517&postcount=1
The first post of this thread (Gray's) is updated to include new information about payment.
Check it out; it says "yes" to your question.:thumbsup:

hoffmang
11-07-2010, 3:06 PM
It seems like that course will suffice. It included lots of firearm safety info, included range practice, and handgun safety was the whole point of the course. Will a copy of the certificate I got from that course should be sufficient? Thanks.

A copy of that course completion certificate should suffice.

-Gene

CalBear
11-07-2010, 9:54 PM
Thanks for the info, Gene. I've already gotten most of my application together, and I'll be at the Cow Palace (probably on Saturday) to apply.

mpcoop
11-08-2010, 9:12 AM
Can I use my DD214 with honorable discharge instead of taking maryland handgun safety course?

OleCuss
11-08-2010, 9:46 AM
The MD handgun safety course is easy and fast. Just take the thing and you're set.

problemchild
11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
What does this do for me in CA?

OleCuss
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM

Very little.

But if a bunch of us have CCW in OR it makes the California policy/law look stupider. Might prove handy down the road.

Also, if/when nationwide CCW reciprocity kicks in it might prove handy - especially if you still can't get a California CCW license. It will depend in part on how the law will be written. But you could end up where California is required to honor your Oregon CCW even though they won't issue you a California CCW license.

Andy Taylor
11-08-2010, 10:21 AM

It gives you the ability to legally carry a firearm when you visit OR, and some other states. Not sure which ones.

It supports a very pro-gun Sheriff. He had difficulty in implementing this program and it needs to be successful to be able to continue to help other pro-gun causes.

AAShooter
11-08-2010, 10:46 AM
. . .It supports a very pro-gun Sheriff. He had difficulty in implementing this program and it needs to be successful to be able to continue to help other pro-gun causes.

The main reason to support it.

sirsloth
11-09-2010, 1:27 PM
Do renewals have to be done in person or can they be done through the mail? Just thinking ahead here.

Gray Peterson
11-09-2010, 1:38 PM
Do renewals have to be done in person or can they be done through the mail? Just thinking ahead here.

OFF and myself are working on legislation to put in "by mail" option for all renewals. At the moment, it only applies to military service members.

Nor-Cal
11-09-2010, 6:38 PM
OFF and myself are working on legislation to put in "by mail" option for all renewals. At the moment, it only applies to military service members.

I'm glad to hear this as it will make things easier down the road when renewals come up for everybody!

CCWFacts
11-09-2010, 6:51 PM
This is one of the biggest lies spread by an issuing authority there is involving CCW's. They have total and complete immunity from tort liability lawsuits.

Thank you for posting that with all those references. People have been posting on the forums for years, "they told me they don't issue because they're worried about liability" and I point out it's a lie. Some people have said I was wrong to label some police officer a liar, but when they say stuff like that, they are lying, and someone who lies is a liar.

And it is a lie, not just a "misconception" or mistake or something. Every police officer, especially at the management levels, understand that police work would be totally impossible without immunity. Further, they know that California provides super-level of immunity against everything except the most extreme cases. They know that there's only one thing that can pierce their immunity, which is civil rights violations, and you get a civil rights violation by denying, not by issuing.

It's an outrageous lie because it shows such contempt for us sheep. They think we'll just accept that statement because we're so dumb and naive.

But I hear it all over the place. I heard it myself from my local PD. Some detective there told me that the chief doesn't issue due to liability. How can I respect someone who tells lies like that and assumes I'm so dumb I'll buy it? No state entity could issue drivers' licenses, construction permits, restaurant licenses, even dog licenses, if they didn't have total immunity.

Gray, I liked your example case of issuing a boxing license. I hadn't even thought of that. Of course boxers are going to get injured. All professional boxers suffer serious harm from the sport. And they are state-licensed. And the state is immune from liability, even though the state knows that the recipients of those licenses will seriously injure themselves and others.

Glenn E. Palmer
11-09-2010, 7:30 PM
The Big Count Down.....Getting excited about meeting new people and maybe pickup some new friendships!!!! Looking forward to the Cow Palace event and the Cross Roads Gun Show. See you this weekend!!!!

Glenn

AAShooter
11-10-2010, 2:49 AM
Thanks for making the trip down.

NoahTall
11-10-2010, 5:53 AM
What a great opportunity...thank you, Sheriff Palmer!

Your state is one of the most beautiful places in the world, but since it was the only state in the entire west I was denied this right, I have reluctantly avoided visiting for at least the last ten years. I greatly look forward to the end of this "boycott".

Andy Taylor
11-10-2010, 6:14 AM
Sheriff, thank you for the trip down, and this endeavor as a whole. I sometimes visit your state and often travel through as I have family in WA. I have often thought about applying, but had no idea which counties would be friendly to an out of state resident applying.

sacto929
11-10-2010, 7:42 AM
I read through the thread and could not find a specific response.

Does anyone know if a certificate for training from Front Sight (4-day Defensive handgun) would count towards the training requirement?

I might assume so based on the affirmative response for some other schools, but you know about ***-u-me-ing....

Thanks!

Gray Peterson
11-10-2010, 8:42 AM
Thank you for posting that with all those references. People have been posting on the forums for years, "they told me they don't issue because they're worried about liability" and I point out it's a lie. Some people have said I was wrong to label some police officer a liar, but when they say stuff like that, they are lying, and someone who lies is a liar.

And it is a lie, not just a "misconception" or mistake or something. Every police officer, especially at the management levels, understand that police work would be totally impossible without immunity. Further, they know that California provides super-level of immunity against everything except the most extreme cases. They know that there's only one thing that can pierce their immunity, which is civil rights violations, and you get a civil rights violation by denying, not by issuing.

It's an outrageous lie because it shows such contempt for us sheep. They think we'll just accept that statement because we're so dumb and naive.

But I hear it all over the place. I heard it myself from my local PD. Some detective there told me that the chief doesn't issue due to liability. How can I respect someone who tells lies like that and assumes I'm so dumb I'll buy it? No state entity could issue drivers' licenses, construction permits, restaurant licenses, even dog licenses, if they didn't have total immunity.

Gray, I liked your example case of issuing a boxing license. I hadn't even thought of that. Of course boxers are going to get injured. All professional boxers suffer serious harm from the sport. And they are state-licensed. And the state is immune from liability, even though the state knows that the recipients of those licenses will seriously injure themselves and others.

Wait, what? Wrong thread?

Purple K
11-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I read through the thread and could not find a specific response.

Does anyone know if a certificate for training from Front Sight (4-day Defensive handgun) would count towards the training requirement?

I might assume so based on the affirmative response for some other schools, but you know about ***-u-me-ing....

Thanks!

If Front Sight is NRA certified it will qualify. The Oregon CHL Application lists the training requirements.

jccam
11-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Someone asked earlier if the Sheriff will be in the CalGuns booth or in his own booth?

Where will the Sheriff's booth be located? I will need to make straight for it, as my time will be limited.

Thanks

Gray Peterson
11-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Someone asked earlier if the Sheriff will be in the CalGuns booth or in his own booth?

Where will the Sheriff's booth be located? I will need to make straight for it, as my time will be limited.

Thanks

Next to the CalGuns Booth.

jccam
11-10-2010, 1:15 PM
Thanks.

Where will the CalGuns booth be?

Do you have a booth number? Or can you advise where it is in relation to the entrance? I don't need GPS coordinates---I'm just trying to avoid having to search up & down the aisles for it.

bulgron
11-10-2010, 1:17 PM
Thanks.

Where will the CalGuns booth be?

Do you have a booth number? Or can you advise where it is in relation to the entrance? I don't need GPS coordinates---I'm just trying to avoid having to search up & down the aisles for it.

The Cow Palace gun show really isn't all that large, especially when compared to the shows I've seen in Reno. I suspect you'll find the booth within a few minutes of entering the show just by looking for it.

Purple K
11-10-2010, 1:39 PM
Our Calguns banner is always clearly visible.

Davidoff
11-10-2010, 1:52 PM
For the last two Cow Palace shows we were located against the back wall, on the right side. (From the entrance). Chances are we will be in the same place, but this time the location may be different because of Sheriff Palmer requiring another table next to ours. As Purple K mentioned, we will have a very large banner(s?) you can look for.

jccam
11-10-2010, 2:29 PM
Thanks Davidoff for at least trying to give a helpful response. I have been going to the Cow Palace shows for about 20 years, so I certainly know how big it is.

As for going in and using my eyes---yes, I thought of doing that. Thanks so much. I assumed that since the show is only a few days away, someone might be able to say something like, "We've been assigned Booth 225, on the south wall."

I've got maybe an hour off from work, so I need to head straight in without wading through all the beef jerky. Sorry I asked.

1norcalvarmintHunter
11-11-2010, 12:21 AM
PDF also available hereh http://www.benjamincannon.net/oregonchl_pub_0001.pdf

GSG222
11-11-2010, 5:31 AM
WOW! Found out this thread a little late - but just in time to get everything ready!! I will be there. Thanks for making it happen!!!

AAShooter
11-11-2010, 5:45 AM
WOW! Found out this thread a little late - but just in time to get everything ready!! I will be there. Thanks for making it happen!!!

Just be sure to get there slightly later than I do!:D

bulgron
11-11-2010, 7:42 AM
Just be sure to get there slightly later than I do!:D

Yes, I expect a line.

I'll be there sometime Sunday morning. Everyone else should go on Saturday, or maybe Sunday afternoon. ;)

stix213
11-11-2010, 11:23 AM
hmm, looks like I'll see everyone at the Cow Palace this weekend

GSG222
11-11-2010, 4:37 PM
You will see me carrying a tent...

AAShooter
11-11-2010, 5:25 PM
You will see me carrying a tent...

Wife kicked you out? :D

Unforgiven
11-11-2010, 6:20 PM
Can someone start a poll ( I don't know how) to gauge how many people really intend to show up for Oregon CCW? Help. Thanks

Luieburger
11-12-2010, 9:30 AM
Show up on Sunday at 9:00AM.

Gray Peterson
11-12-2010, 9:52 AM
All,

Please make sure you bring a COPY of your drivers license, not the license itself, for sheriff palmer's records.

Joe
11-12-2010, 2:48 PM
Just got the last of my stuff ready for the gunshow. I'll be there tomorrow. Probably right when the line gets nice and long =D

PanchoVilla
11-12-2010, 8:26 PM
wow talk about bad timing. I think I left my Maryland Certificate at work. So I figured no prob ill just reprint it. Except the website is down. :( Hope no one left that course til the last minute.

kantstudien
11-12-2010, 8:39 PM
Okay, sorry if I missed it, but does one actually need to show up in person or can this be done via mail? Can I mail in all my documentation and a fingerprint card with photo? Thanks

CalBear
11-12-2010, 8:44 PM
Okay, sorry if I missed it, but does one actually need to show up in person or can this be done via mail? Can I mail in all my documentation and a fingerprint card with photo? Thanks
I think it's been stated that you must be there in person.

XYZ
11-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks to all for setting this up.

stix213
11-13-2010, 1:04 AM
wow talk about bad timing. I think I left my Maryland Certificate at work. So I figured no prob ill just reprint it. Except the website is down. :( Hope no one left that course til the last minute.

I've been able to get through registration and start the low bandwidth version of the test by going to the below link. Its from a cached copy of the site that is down. Will report back if I'm able to complete the cert

http://209.48.185.14/welcome.aspx

stix213
11-13-2010, 1:28 AM
I've been able to get through registration and start the low bandwidth version of the test by going to the below link. Its from a cached copy of the site that is down. Will report back if I'm able to complete the cert

http://209.48.185.14/welcome.aspx

Completed successfully. mdgunsafety.com is still down, so go to the above link I posted directly, register and complete the low bandwidth version of the course, and you'll be able to print out your certificate at the end.

Andy Taylor
11-13-2010, 5:55 AM

Oregon law says the Sheriff department must do the fingerprints. Your other option is to visit Grant County OR.

Experimentalist
11-13-2010, 9:02 AM
Important note:

The table for the applications here at the Cow Palace has been moved to the concesion area.

Processing has been exceptionally slow so far. If you plan to apply, be prepared for a wait.

oepirate
11-13-2010, 9:07 AM
And expect a line. Fortunately a line full of fellow Calgunners.

Experimentalist
11-13-2010, 9:39 AM
I was # 12 in line after the doors opened.

There have been hiccups, and we've been moved to the concession area. However, I am now #4 in line for the Livescan machine. A light at the end of the tunnel.

CalBear
11-13-2010, 9:47 AM
I made copies of my DL and passport. Do I need to bring my actual passport? Or just the copy?

k1dude
11-13-2010, 10:22 AM
I was # 12 in line after the doors opened.

There have been hiccups, and we've been moved to the concession area. However, I am now #4 in line for the Livescan machine. A light at the end of the tunnel.

How long is the line? When did the doors open? I'm just trying to get an idea of how long it will take from showing up to completion. I might bring a folding stool and a good book if it's too long.

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 11:45 AM
from @calgunsfdn twitter:

Reminder: OR Sheriff Palmer @ Cow Palace gun show this weekend. Get you OR non resident permit there!
about 4 hours ago via Twitter for iPad

Due to tremendous demand, OR sheriff Palmer moved to the concession stand area.
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for iPad

OR non resident permits at Cow Palace: line has caught up. Come get your permit!
24 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I made copies of my DL and passport. Do I need to bring my actual passport? Or just the copy?

Bring both, just in case.

gun_freek
11-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Only one ID needs to have a picture. They want to see your actual drivers license and a copy. For the the second ID I brought a copy of my CA handgun permit.

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Btw, the 2nd ID requirement is not in the statute (I reread it). If you're letting purely the 2nd ID thing keep you from coming down to the Cow Palace, do not let it do so. You can always send supplemental material in a letter/document folder to the sheriff.

otteray
11-13-2010, 12:11 PM
Were the Calguns Booth volunteers able to get their applications in early?:)
I'm working the AM shift Sunday and have all needed documents neatly organized in a folder.
Ray

From my backup dialup connection:(

AAShooter
11-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks for coming down Sheriff Palmer. I appreciate the convenience and the professionalism in processing the applicants. Have a safe trip back.

gun_freek
11-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for coming down Sheriff Palmer. I appreciate the convenience and the professionalism in processing the applicants. Have a safe trip back.
x2 Thank you Sheriff Palmer

MudCamper
11-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Back in Sonoma County from my trip to the Cow Palace. Once the line got moved the second time, it moved along relatively well. The Sheriff and his staff were very friendly and helpful. Must have been a hundred of us applying while I was there. Thanks all involved in getting this going!

AAShooter
11-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Back in Sonoma County from my trip to the Cow Palace. Once the line got moved the second time, it moved along relatively well. The Sheriff and his staff were very friendly and helpful. Must have been a hundred of us applying while I was there. Thanks all involved in getting this going!

I think I was in line with you. It was a pleasure meeting you. Full-sized 1911s!

californiamotorsports
11-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Thank you Sheriff Palmer !! lets not forget his STAFF and the Calgun VOLUNTEERS !! THANKS !!

AAShooter
11-13-2010, 1:11 PM
Thank you Sheriff Palmer !! lets not forget his STAFF and the Calgun VOLUNTEERS !! THANKS !!

+1!

ArmedCitizen
11-13-2010, 1:48 PM
Can someone please post or PM me the man's upcoming gun show schedule? Will he be in any other city anytime soon? I ask because the COW Palace is pretty far away for me (yes, closer than Oregon, I know).

Thx,
AC

thrasherfox
11-13-2010, 1:54 PM
Yeah, what ArmedCitizen said :)

I had my CCW class this weekend and the Bay Area is too far for me to drive this weekend.

Anyone know of any other appearances?

D-Man
11-13-2010, 3:13 PM
Nice job by Calguns, Sheriff Palmer, and all the volunteers. Good to hear that so many turned out to support this effort!

Purple K
11-13-2010, 4:08 PM
We had one little hiccup initially regarding electricity. Once that was solved, things got rolling. One crotchety old vendor complained about our line blocking his booth. However, the other vendors seemed to like the "captive audience". Due to Mr. Crotchety's complaints the whole operation was moved to the concession area. Once moved thing went very well. When the Sheriff and his team broke for a well deserved lunch at about 1:45 they had processed 66 applications. There is a vendor at the show doing Utah CCW classes on premisis. Sheriff Palmer will accept those courses.

Fissssh
11-13-2010, 4:13 PM
Thanks to all who were involved to have this happen in our back yard. One more till shall issue becomes the law of the land.

BusBoy
11-13-2010, 5:18 PM
We had one little hiccup initially regarding electricity. Once that was solved, things got rolling. One crotchety old vendor complained about our line blocking his booth. However, the other vendors seemed to like the "captive audience". Due to Mr. Crotchety's complaints the whole operation was moved to the concession area. Once moved thing went very well. When the Sheriff and his team broke for a well deserved lunch at about 1:45 they had processed 66 applications. There is a vendor at the show doing Utah CCW classes on premisis. Sheriff Palmer will accept those courses.

I was third in line and was a personal victim of Mr Crotchety... man that guy really was a piece of work... best comment regarding that guy... " Why doesnt he just die already?!!" lol :D

After the electric rescue things went great till they were once more delayed and then banishment to the concession area. :(

Got the opportunity to meet Gene and a couple other CalGunners... I had a great time!! If anyone is still on the fence GO DO THIS!!

Personal thanks to Sheriff Palmer and (I think) his wife and Daughter... you folks are a true commodity to your county and Im truly jealous of your locals as our local Sheriff is a douche when it comes to personal protection and CCW.

haiedras
11-13-2010, 5:41 PM
I'm glad everything shook out okay. It was a great turnout, thanks to everyone who showed up with all their paperwork and documentation in order, it helped to move the process along so you could wait to get your fingerprints taken. Thanks again to Sheriff Palmer and his family for coming down to run the applications!

The photographer. :P

NoahTall
11-13-2010, 5:49 PM
I couldn't believe my luck today. I guess I was the last guy at about 1:45 before the Sheriff's lunch break. I literally completed the entire process inside of about 7 minutes! I've never had any local, state, or federal government transaction go so smoothly.

The Sheriff and his staff (someone mentioned family?) were absolutely gracious, professional, and just plain likable. Grant County, Oregon is just plain lucky to have them.

My only regret is that I didn't have a chance to meet and visit with the great guys at the Calguns booth who gave me directions to the concession area. (Thanks!) For the first time ever, I left a gun show empty handed, as I had to race to the airport and get out of town.

Thanks again Calguns & Sheriff Palmer & staff... :)

stix213
11-13-2010, 6:09 PM
Painless, and the high tech finger print scanner is a cool little gadget.

CJSdrftFlat
11-13-2010, 6:28 PM
I was in line from 10:30- about 12:30. The ones who got done fast were lucky. There were a bunch of people in front of me who had a whole bunch of errors with getting their finger prints recorded. When it was my turn, I was done in less than 3 mins! Alot of people must have bad prints? The sheriff commented that I have good prints and if I were to commit a crime, I should use gloves........ I like that guy and his sense of humor. BTW, haiedras, thanks for taking my picture and I like your belt.

Carlo

Andy Taylor
11-13-2010, 6:41 PM
Am really looking forward to tomorrow. Leaving Sac about 6, will stop for breakfast somewhere and hope to be there at opening. Assuming it will still be in the concession area? I'll look for Mr Crotchety.:D

smarter
11-13-2010, 6:44 PM
I was in line from 10:30- about 12:30. The ones who got done fast were lucky. There were a bunch of people in front of me who had a whole bunch of errors with getting their finger prints recorded. When it was my turn, I was done in less than 3 mins! Alot of people must have bad prints? The sheriff commented that I have good prints and if I were to commit a crime, I should use gloves........ I like that guy and his sense of humor. BTW, haiedras, thanks for taking my picture and I like your belt.

Carlo

People with sweaty hands give bad prints (at least on the livescan machine). Dry hands are perfect.

the_quark
11-13-2010, 6:54 PM
I was the next-to-last in line today just as they closed up. Definitely freed up a bit from earlier in the day.

Agreed, the process was quick and painless - definitely his fingerprint scanner was a lot less persnickety than the California LiveScan one I've used, before. I can confirm the "staff" were his wife and daughter; we all went out for steak, afterward, and he had the same sense of humor and commitment to gun rights you'd expect.

Anyway, thanks again to Sheriff Palmer and staff for making the trip to support gun rights down here in California!

G-Man WC
11-13-2010, 6:54 PM
Sorry for the uninformed question, but what good is a Oregon or Utah CCW/CHL in California? -g

Hdawg
11-13-2010, 7:00 PM
Just wanted to add my thanks to all who made this possible. It was a fairly long wait, but definitely worth it. Calguns rules! :party:

SJCRockChalk
11-13-2010, 7:07 PM

+1 :clap:

hoffmang
11-13-2010, 7:18 PM
Sorry for the uninformed question, but what good is a Oregon or Utah CCW/CHL in California? -g

Utah let's you carry in about 35 states, but OR isn't one of them. OR let's you carry in OR.

-Gene

dantodd
11-13-2010, 7:24 PM
So what was the grand total for today.

JJE
11-13-2010, 7:30 PM
I was one of the people with "bad prints" today. Felt a little guilty, but what can you do? The sheriff and his family were great - the process was smoother than I expected. Picked up a couple of Calguns stickers at the booth and looking forward to my first CCW.

I also found a GREAT deal on small pistol primers - $108 for 5 boxes of 1000 - so I got 5K. The primers don't weigh much so I also got 1000 Berry's plated 9x19 bullets - also a very good deal. I saved a bunch more than I paid for gas and admission.

otteray
11-13-2010, 7:45 PM
OT but there are so many threads about this!
Any good/ easy access places to stop for breakfast early before working the CG booth coming up from Santa Cruz, PCH or 280?
First time I've been up there since fishing at Candlestick for flatties in the '80s!
Please don't say Denny's; or, is that it?
Haven't been to one of those restaurants since the 80's either... improved any?

BusBoy
11-13-2010, 8:09 PM
Id like to comment on one more thing that has dual usefulness if you're attending the event tomorrow (Sunday)...

I have always intended to join the NRA and help support with a basic membership but it was always "maybe later" cant say how many shows I've been to and have said that to the fine volunteers at the NRA tables outside.

Sooooo we come over the Bay Bridge this morning and it was HELL... lanes closed down to two on the upper deck. :mad: So now were late getting to the show. We pull up and theres a line... a LONG line waiting for ticket purchase, door arent quite open yet. Well there were those fine gentlemen from the NRA again and this time I just wanted to join. I went over to the table and filled out the form and then the guys handed me my ticket for the show which you get when you pay for your membership there... we walked PAST the HUGE line waiting to buy tickets and waited in the line that was maybe 10 deep at the door!! YEAH!! :D

So if you DONT have your NRA membership... help out and join! Show up a 15-20 min before doors open sign up for NRA membership, skip the LONG lines waiting to purchase tix and you're one of the first few in the door early to bee line to the Oregon CCW table where Sheriff Palmer and staff are waiting to take your app!!

Have fun tomorrow gang!

G-Man WC
11-13-2010, 8:21 PM
Utah let's you carry in about 35 states, but OR isn't one of them. OR let's you carry in OR.

-Gene

California does not recognize and is not one of the 35 states on Utah's list.
Not trying to be a smart A**, I'm just trying to understand why everyone
is hitting a b-line to get it? The only state I travel to on a somewhat regular basis is Nev, that also does not recognze the Utah CCW. Is having the Utah or Oregon CCW a springboard to making the process of obtaining a California CCW easier? -gary

k1dude
11-13-2010, 8:35 PM
Will applying for the Oregon CCW affect my California CCW application currently in process? I've already had my interview with my local Sheriff's dept. and am waiting for the yay or nay from Cal DOJ. One of the questions on the CA CCW application is - Have you ever applied for a CCW permit before? I truthfully stated no. But if I apply for the Oregon CCW, will the CA DOJ reject me for lying? They might not notice the dates of the applications.

Andy Taylor
11-13-2010, 8:36 PM
is hitting a b-line to get it? The only state I travel to on a somewhat regular basis is Nev, that also does not recognze the Utah CCW. Is having the Utah or Oregon CCW a springboard to making the process of obtaining a California CCW easier? -gary

Many people travel out of state more frequently and to a greater variety of states than you. I do, based on what you have posted here. Also it helps a very pro-gun sheriff who is undertaking a very non-PC activity on our behalf. Many are doing it just to help support Sheriff Palmer.

Andy Taylor
11-13-2010, 8:39 PM
Will applying for the Oregon CCW affect my California CCW application currently in process? I've already had my interview with my local Sheriff's dept. and am waiting for the yay or nay from Cal DOJ. One of the questions on the CA CCW application is - Have you ever applied for a CCW permit before? I truthfully stated no. But if I apply for the Oregon CCW, will the CA DOJ reject me for lying? They might not notice the dates of the applications.

If I was that close to a CA CCW, I would wait until I have it in hand, then apply to OR just because of that question. My appt for Sac County is in Feb, so I should have the OR CCW in hand before then.

CalBear
11-13-2010, 8:55 PM
OT but there are so many threads about this!
Any good/ easy access places to stop for breakfast early before working the CG booth coming up from Santa Cruz, PCH or 280?
First time I've been up there since fishing at Candlestick for flatties in the '80s!
Please don't say Denny's; or, is that it?
Haven't been to one of those restaurants since the 80's either... improved any?

Go here:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-gatos-cafe-los-gatos

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 9:00 PM

DOJ will not reject. All they do is a fingerprint check.

It's the sheriff you need to worry about. That being said, if you applied for a CCW since your application was submitted (date certain), it is not a lie.

supersonic
11-13-2010, 9:07 PM
Did my Oregon CCW (ooops....I mean 'CHL") today at the show. We arrived at about noon-ish and apparently the line for this was so friggin' ridiculous when they first opened that the gun show staff made the sheriff & his people MOVE to a "far away" "vacant" area!...Anyway, my two buds and I apparently got there at the "golden moment" as there was literally one person ahead of us.

As far as Sheriff Palmer goes, I don't think he could have been more laid back, cool, easygoing, ---insert your favorite word to describe someone that is truly AWESOME --- ; he remembered me by name from all the back and forth texting between us over the week regarding "getting all my ducks in order" and was very friendly & engaging. My buddy is big into fishing on the Delta, and when Sheriff Palmer was doing his Live Scan, they discussed nothing but BAIT! (apparently Glenn is an avid angler as well).....and later on as I was walking around looking at all the (OVER-priced guns), I got a 'tap' on my shoulder about the rifle I was trying to sell: It was the Sheriff busting my balls and just being genuinely funny.

Anyway, that's my report on the Oregon Sheriff's Dept. CCW "out-of-state experience" .....and I'm sticking to it.

Oh yes, did I mention what a HELL of a great guy Sheriff Glenn Palmer is? If all California LEO's were even 1/2 the man he is, this state would be in MUCH better shape as far as CCW/2ndA goes! Also, many, many thanks to the CGN members who were there to help out. Kudos to you guys!:)

Gray Peterson
11-13-2010, 9:08 PM

Sheriff Palmer is the only carry license issuing authority in the nation who has been willing to travel to another state to issue licenses. There's significant PR value for the 2A and especially for the CalGuns Foundation for saying that a sheriff from Oregon is willing to ignore the "may-issue" provision of his states statute, issue for personal defense, whereas the sheriff's agencies in the state of California refuse to do so.

Sheriff Palmer, with our assistance, raised the money he needed to purchase a fingerprint scanner, the one used at the Cow Palace show and will be used at future gun shows in California.

People's visiting patterns are different. Some may very rarely travel to Oregon but still want to get the license to support the sheriff's effort. Some may travel frequently to Oregon and want to be able to carry while there.

Bringing a pro-gun sheriff to the middle of hostile CLEO territory, a sea of anti-gun dark red to issue licenses is a way to stick it in their ear.

CalBear
11-13-2010, 9:12 PM
Oh yes, did I mention what a HELL of a great guy Sheriff Glenn Palmer is? If all California LEO's were even 1/2 the man he is, this state would be in MUCH better shape as far as CCW/2ndA goes! Also, many, many thanks to the CGN members who were there to help out. Kudos to you guys!:)
Anyone up for moving to Grant County? :)
http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512/0806092.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3350/3196286183_8cc9ecf61d.jpg

supersonic
11-13-2010, 9:18 PM
WOW. Now I see why the sheriff is a fisherman!!!:D

XYZ
11-13-2010, 9:25 PM
We got there early and the initial set-up took awhile. Once they had the process refined it was much quicker. Thanks to Calguns for setting this up and to Sherriff Palmer and staff for making the trip. Now if we can only get a Nevada Sherriff to make the next show with range qualifications at a local range that would be awesome :)

Nor-Cal
11-13-2010, 9:35 PM
I would like to thank everybody that was involved and made this happen, special thanks to sheriff palmer and staff, which was very professional! Very great guy with a good sense of humor! Only if we had more sheriffs like him here in california! It was a great experience and didn't mind the long line, it was worth it and Every thing was smooth luckly I was easy to print!

Joe
11-14-2010, 12:20 AM
Did mine today also. Do we know exactly how many applications were submitted?

Andy Taylor
11-14-2010, 4:43 AM
We got there early and the initial set-up took awhile. Once they had the process refined it was much quicker. Thanks to Calguns for setting this up and to Sherriff Palmer and staff for making the trip. Now if we can only get a Nevada Sherriff to make the next show with range qualifications at a local range that would be awesome :)

I believe NV law reuires that the training be conducted in NV. Several years back out of state instructors where offering the course. NV realized the lost revenue to the state and changed the law so that those applying had to spend money on instruction, food and lodging in the state.

Andy Taylor
11-14-2010, 4:43 AM
On my way out the door. See you all there. :D

Davidoff
11-14-2010, 6:10 AM
Did mine today also. Do we know exactly how many applications were submitted?

As of closing time yesterday, Sheriff Palmer had processed eighty-something applicants.

meg
11-14-2010, 7:41 AM

As Sheriff Palmer noted at dinner last night, "some people collect 'em like they're trading cards".

Gray Peterson
11-14-2010, 8:23 AM
So how much does collecting this trading card cost?
I don't see the upside of getting it just to have one or "support his cause".

Myopic.

I would bet the majority obtaining, or petitioning for one do not travel often to said state to justify having one. If you were a trucker or diamond salesman, Yes. Just somone who wants one to pack on your yearly fishing trip...no.

Oregon makes concealed carry unlawful as a general rule, most people prefer to carry concealed. It also allows one to carry loaded in major metro areas which banned carry without a CHL, and allows one to carry in any public building.

The only thing it's supporting or doing is putting $ in the state of Oregon's cauffers.

It goes into the coffers of Grant County, Oregon, for the sheriff who went out of his way to come down here, when no other sheriff in the state of Oregon would. Otherwise you would have had to travel all to way up to a county in Oregon to get a license. May I also point out that two sheriffs were instrumental in striking down parts of the Brady Law?

Some people are of the mind set that your sticking it to the California man. California could care less! We all know that.

Actually, they are starting to care. You just don't see it because you look only at the surface.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping things change as far as will issue in our state. But this is like open carry, it does nothing for the 2A cause. I'm not faulting those getting one and could care less, only I don't see a reason for me getting one if I'm only to Oregon 1-2 times a year to fish. -g

So, G, since you consider helping a pro-2A/carry sheriff who took the time and paid his own way travel wise down to help Californians be able to carry in Oregon a waste of time, have you volunteered for the CalGuns Foundation (http://calgunsfoundation.org/volunteer) in order to help fix the California carry licensing system (http://www.gotcarry.org)? To quote Ghandi: "You must be the change you want to see in the world".

6172crew
11-14-2010, 8:24 AM
I would bet the majority obtaining, or petitioning for one do not travel often to said state to justify having one. If you were a trucker or diamond salesman, Yes. Just somone who wants one to pack on your yearly fishing trip...no.
The only thing it's supporting or doing is putting $ in the state of Oregon's cauffers. Some people are of the mind set that your sticking it to the California man. California could care less! We all know that.
Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping things change as far as will issue in our state. But this is like open carry, it does nothing for the 2A cause. I'm not faulting those getting one and could care less, only I don't see a reason for me getting one if I'm only to Oregon 1-2 times a year to fish. -g

I would have one for every state if I could, I'm not sure why anyone would not like to have the option to carry anywhere a person might travel.

Who cares what CA .gov thinks about it.

stix213
11-14-2010, 8:56 AM
The only thing it's supporting or doing is putting $ in the state of Oregon's cauffers. Some people are of the mind set that your sticking it to the California man. California could care less! We all know that.

It literally took only $65 and 10 minutes of my time, so there really wasn't much down side to getting one. Plus it gave me an excuse to finally go to a gun show. And I may just plan another OR trip now soon, just so I can feel the freedom.

Wildhawk66
11-14-2010, 9:55 AM
Was the second person in the door this morning to the show and the second in line at the Oregon CCW table. The process couldn't have gone smoother and took maybe 5 minutes total. Many thanks to everyone who worked to make this happen, especially Sheriff Palmer and his family.

On a side note, the Calguns booth looked great and the volunteers were very friendly and visible in their calguns shirts. Days like today make me really proud to be a member here.

hoffmang
11-14-2010, 12:25 PM

And my NV permit was submitted Friday.

I travel a metric ton. I've been in Oregon twice in the last two years. I've "used" my UT and FL 4 times in the past 6 months. If I could get a NY, IL, and MA, I'd always carry when travelling.

-Gene

MudCamper
11-14-2010, 1:17 PM
I think I was in line with you. It was a pleasure meeting you. Full-sized 1911s!

Good to meet you also! Hey, while I love my pocket 380s and my little PT145, I also own a Colt 1911. They're all good! :)

silvertear
11-14-2010, 2:32 PM
Nuts. I just missed him. Got here with about 40 min left and he was already packed up. I can't blame him since he has a flight to catch. Hopefully next time there'll be a definite time range for when he'll be around.

otteray
11-14-2010, 3:02 PM
Was the second person in the door this morning to the show and the second in line at the Oregon CCW table. The process couldn't have gone smoother and took maybe 5 minutes total. Many thanks to everyone who worked to make this happen, especially Sheriff Palmer and his family.

On a side note, the Calguns booth looked great and the volunteers were very friendly and visible in their calguns shirts. Days like today make me really proud to be a member here.

I volunteered to be the first in line, to make sure the Livescan worked for the good Sheriff:rolleyes: What a great guy, with a sweet family, too.
The Morning Crew was a gas to work with; knowledgeable, easy to converse with and outgoing.
There were some nice weapons on display, too, at our booth.
The holster-worn S&W service revolver that BigDogatPlay brought, stole my heart.

gucci pilot
11-14-2010, 3:23 PM
I just got back from the show. The 2 hour drive was worth it. There was one guy ahead of me, so there was virtually no wait. I did feel bad that the Sheriff and his family didn't have any time to see the city. They came down here strictly to ensure that our 2A rights are secure in Oregon. I wonder what the finally tally of applications for the weekend was.

Gray, can you relay my sincere appreciation to Sheriff Palmer for taking time out of his busy schedule? Also, can you find out when the good sheriff is up for reelection? I want to be sure to offer "$upport" when he starts his campaign.

bulgron
11-14-2010, 3:25 PM
Three of us from the SCC MC went up to the Cow Palace today and spent 10 quality minutes submitting our application for an OR CCW. It was a pleasant experience and the good sheriff is a funny, funny man.

Once I get this permit, I'll be able to carry in every state surrounding California. That's right, I'll have them surrounded. Cool! :D

I really am going to have to take a trip up to Grant county in the next few years just to check it out.

AAShooter
11-14-2010, 4:19 PM
Good to meet you also! Hey, while I love my pocket 380s and my little PT145, I also own a Colt 1911. They're all good! :)

I haven't met too many guns I haven't liked either.

Andy Taylor
11-14-2010, 4:36 PM
Was there this morning. About 8th or 9th in line. Took about 45 min because one guy had trouble getting prints. No big deal everybody was in a good mood. Many thanks to all, especially Sheriff Palmer and family. God bless you.

Me1
11-14-2010, 5:35 PM
Was there this morning. About 8th or 9th in line. Took about 45 min because one guy had trouble getting prints. No big deal everybody was in a good mood. Many thanks to all, especially Sheriff Palmer and family. God bless you.

You must have been close to me. That guy would make a good criminal....no prints found :cool2: Sheriff Palmer gave him the honor of been the hardest so far.

AAShooter
11-14-2010, 5:39 PM
You must have been close to me. That guy would make a good criminal....no prints found :cool2: Sheriff Palmer gave him the honor of been the hardest so far.

I know how to fix that . . . just clip off the fingertips and inject with finger print restorer . . . it worked great on CSI! :D:D:D:eek:

pro-nra
11-14-2010, 5:52 PM
New guy on the board. I was the first person at the door waiting for the place to open. I already bought ticket from the net so no need to line for tickets. The Sheriff was a great person. He commented that I had one of the best prints hes ever seen as he could feel it through his fingers...I would make a really bad criminal.:D I would be interested when the good Sheriff's re-election is as I would contribute a few $$$ and hope some of you all will too.

Andy Taylor
11-14-2010, 6:18 PM

Yes he did, and further joked that he was going to take a break after that. I was in the yellow polo with blue stripes. Sheriff Palmer is a great guy. While he printed me, we talked about Colt revolvers and the Trooper he used to carry.

BigDogatPlay
11-14-2010, 6:20 PM
Sheriff Palmer is a great guy and a staunch supporter of our rights. His presence made for a truly great event. The booth crew had a fun time with the meet and greet and we raised some donation dollars which we know will be well spent.

On a personal note, I was also privileged to meet Tom Boyer. A great guy who defines the concept of putting ones own self on the line for a cause. It was a delight talking politics and hopefully we'll have a chance again.

Thanks Otteray for the props on that Model 28. I have to say thanks for bringing those two Marlins.... they most certainly stole my heart.

:)

k1dude
11-14-2010, 7:06 PM
Nuts. I just missed him. Got here with about 40 min left and he was already packed up. I can't blame him since he has a flight to catch. Hopefully next time there'll be a definite time range for when he'll be around.

Yeah, I was the last applicant of the day. There was no line. I hung out and talked to Sheriff Palmer and his family for probably an hour and no one else showed.

They truly are great down to earth folk. As nice as can be. I felt bad they spent their own personal money to give us a slice of our second ammendment rights, only to have missed out on any chance to see San Francisco. If they come again, we at Calguns need to make sure they stay an extra day or two and show them the city. If no one else volunteers, I'll take it upon myself to be their tour guide.

I get up to Bend every now and then. The next time I go, I'm definitely going to stay a few days in Grant County to say hello and explore a little. It sounds like they have a nice slice of heaven there.

Thank you Sheriff Palmer. Thanks to his wife and daughter too!

bulgron
11-14-2010, 7:14 PM
Yeah, I was the last applicant of the day. There was no line. I hung out and talked to Sheriff Palmer and his family for probably an hour and no one else showed.

They truly are great down to earth folk. As nice as can be. I felt bad they spent their own personal money to give us a slice of our second ammendment rights, only to have missed out on any chance to see San Francisco. If they come again, we at Calguns need to make sure they stay an extra day or two and show them the city. If no one else volunteers, I'll take it upon myself to be their tour guide.

I get up to Bend every now and then. The next time I go, I'm definitely going to stay a few days in Grant County to say hello and explore a little. It sounds like they have a nice slice of heaven there.

They spent their own money coming down here? I didn't know that. There's something wrong with this picture.

k1dude
11-14-2010, 7:46 PM
They spent their own money coming down here? I didn't know that. There's something wrong with this picture.

Yup. They spent their own money for the trip and all proceeds go to the county. I suspect it's because he doesn't want any hint of impropriety in any way, shape, or form. So in effect they took a vacation to raise funds for the county and didn't even get to see San Francisco.

nicki
11-14-2010, 7:47 PM
Went a submitted application this afternoon. Sheriff had processed in excess of 120 permits when I submitted my application.

Took me less than 10 minutes. Slow part was fingerprints.

Sheriff is open to coming back to california. All we need to do is offsett his costs.
Unfortunately he can't delegate to our sheriffs, he has to come her

Next time he comes, wouldn't it be great if he processed 500 to 1000 permit and each time he comes he keeps issuing 1000 plus permits.

Nicki

akoba
11-14-2010, 8:38 PM

During my application (sacramento) for the ccw. I answer "NO" on that question. But the detective saw the copy of my Utah/FL ccw, He ask me again on the phone interview if i have those 2 permit and i say yes. He said OK, he ask me again because i mark the wrong answer and he corrected it.

So if you apply already for CA ccw. Answer it YES on the OR ccw question.

Luieburger
11-14-2010, 8:58 PM
Sunday was definitely the day to go. The line was nearly empty when I went. It was great to meet Sheriff Palmer and his family. The process was quick. I eagerly await my paperwork in the mail!

Thank you to everyone who worked to make this possible, and a big thank you to Sheriff Palmer and his family.

ARPirateMilitia
11-14-2010, 8:59 PM
The process was fast, in and out in minutes. Many thanks to the Sheriff and his lovely staff.

There were many Calguns.net volunteers in booths and around the gun show that seemed more than willing to answer any and all questions, offer good conversation, and assisted the sheriff taking pictures. Thanks a lot.

I parted with a bit of my cash between Calguns, NRA, and SAF today. It made me feel good. Keep up the good work.

XYZ
11-14-2010, 9:02 PM
Yup. They spent their own money for the trip and all proceeds go to the county. I suspect it's because he doesn't want any hint of impropriety in any way, shape, or form. So in effect they took a vacation to raise funds for the county and didn't even get to see San Francisco.

Wow. I was under the impression that his trip was partially subsidized. Is there a way we can set-up a fund to help defer his cost? This may be more appropriate for future trips. He definitely was a great guy to speak to and while it took us about 1 1/2 hours to wait in line on Saturday morning it was well worth the effort.

Thanks again to Calguns, Sheriff Palmer and his family and everyone that helped make this possible. So far this year I've spent 3 months in Oregon so this will be come in handy.

lazyworm
11-14-2010, 9:44 PM
I've been doing the math on and off all day...

120 apps * $50 to the county = $6000

minus the time and effort of his staff to process all the paperwork

So it's actually not too much money for his county.

I hope this is still worth it that he'd come back.

I'd love to help out his show/travel costs next time he
comes here.

hoffmang
11-14-2010, 10:30 PM
The CGN community paid for his Livescan machine which you got to see in person if you went to the Cow Palace show this weekend.

CGF bought him dinner on Friday night and made sure he had no transportation costs. His costs were his time and airfare for his family and him as well as 2 nights of hotel.

I think the CGF is not opposed to picking that up moving forward. We'll chat with him about it.

-Gene

GSG222
11-14-2010, 10:37 PM
HAHAHAHA! I am laughing out loud at myself. Yes, Sheriff Palmer is a great man. However, for most part of the weekend, I wasn't so sure (guys thanks for your postings!). Here is the story. I was there early Saturday morning and was probably one of the first 10 in line. Since we had a good wait due to several hiccups, I had a good opportunity to observe those in front of me, including the Sherrif and his staff. By and large I liked what I saw; but something just didn't seem right and it was about Sherrif Palmer. "What is wrong in this picture? What could be possibly wrong with this wonderful man?" I asked myself, again and again. I couldn't figure it out... until when (something didn't work out and the table had to move) Sherrif Palmer put his hand on the shoulder of the young lady. THAT's IT!! It's the way he interacted with his two female staff members! From the way he looked at them and the way he spoke to them I saw something extra that was over and beyond a professional relationship... I didn't like what I felt and wished I was wrong, for the remaining of the weekend, until I learned from previous postings that the two "staff members" were his wife and daughter... whew! I hope in the future Calgun can make an announcement about this beforehand. One, some of us can buy the good family some snack and drink while they are busy helping with the paperwork; two, just in case there is another body language expert in the crowd, it will really help clear things up...

Lastly, while I am not sure raising some $ as a token of appreciation is politically a good thing for a Sherrif, I do feel that we should DO SOMETHING to thank Sheriff Palmer and his family. They truly went the extra miles for us!

GSG222
11-14-2010, 10:52 PM
On a related note - This was my first gun show and I enjoyed it. Couldn't buy any guns because I had promised the wife before leaving the house (but I did manage to spend the $200 cash in my wallet). The funny part was that when I went home and talked about the wonferful guns I saw at the show, she asked "why didn't you buy some?" and she was serious... I guess I was taking her words too seriously (or I still don't understand women in general)...

Bought a nice holster for my Glock 26, and some magazines for my 1911, and some other "little toys" that the wife doesn't usually notice. I also liked the antique guns I saw and one lady was selling some amazing fossils and crystals.

I left a little early to visit a famous gunfight site near Cow Palace - a duel between a CA chief justice and a senator (Broderick vs Terry). Fascinating real life story about target practice and trigger pull - if you're into that sort of things. Unfortunately my GPS was messed up and I was half a mile off. Well, I guess I will come back, maybe at the next gunshow.

Gray Peterson
11-14-2010, 10:57 PM
HAHAHAHA! I am laughing out loud at myself. Yes, Sheriff Palmer is a great man. However, for most part of the weekend, I wasn't so sure (guys thanks for your postings!). Here is the story. I was there early Saturday morning and was probably one of the first 10 in line. Since we had a good wait due to several hiccups, I had a good opportunity to observe those in front of me, including the Sherrif and his staff. By and large I liked what I saw; but something just didn't seem right and it was about Sherrif Palmer. "What is wrong in this picture? What could be possibly wrong with this wonderful man?" I asked myself, again and again. I couldn't figure it out... until when (something didn't work out and the table had to move) Sherrif Palmer put his hand on the shoulder of the young lady. THAT's IT!! It's the way he interacted with his two female staff members! From the way he looked at them and the way he spoke to them I saw something extra that was over and beyond a professional relationship... I didn't like what I felt and wished I was wrong, for the remaining of the weekend, until I learned from previous postings that the two "staff members" were his wife and daughter... whew! I hope in the future Calgun can make an announcement about this beforehand. One, some of us can buy the good family some snack and drink while they are busy helping with the paperwork; two, just in case there is another body language expert in the crowd, it will really help clear things up...

Lastly, while I am not sure raising some $ as a token of appreciation is politically a good thing for a Sherrif, I do feel that we should DO SOMETHING to thank Sheriff Palmer and his family. They truly went the extra miles for us!

We did say "family".

AAShooter
11-15-2010, 3:39 AM
The CGN community paid for his Livescan machine which you got to see in person if you went to the Cow Palace show this weekend.

. . .

-Gene

That's a pretty cool story. I had not realized CGN's role in the Livescan until one of the guys I was standing in line with explained that CGN had taken contributions to purchase the machine. I don't know all the details but it is a pretty impressive effort.

Steyrlp10
11-15-2010, 5:18 AM
I'm glad to read that everyone had a pretty positive experience with Sheriff Palmer's visit. Now, this is the question I have: did any of you sign him up to be a Calgunner? :)

AAShooter
11-15-2010, 5:41 AM
I'm glad to read that everyone had a pretty positive experience with Sheriff Palmer's visit. Now, this is the question I have: did any of you sign him up to be a Calgunner? :)

Glenn E. Palmer, Junior Member

wrdavis
11-15-2010, 5:42 AM
Just curious what the expected time is to see the permit in the mail?

Also Saturday when I was chatting with the Sheriff, he mentioned not to clean the permit with alcohol, or the printing will wipe off. Thought I'd pass that info along.

Hopalong
11-15-2010, 6:04 AM
I'm not surprised that Sheriff Palmer is a good guy.
Over the years, I've met many high up LEO's. Captains, Chief Deputies, and a Sheriff candidate. They were all good guys, and behind doors, all told me that they would have no problem issuing CCWs to law abiding citizens.
They all told me that what the issuing authority needs though, is political cover to appease the anti-gun crowd.
My sense is that they would love the decision to be taken out of their hands. They also know that they cannot protect everybody. They could not say these things publicly and get re-elected.

sacto929
11-15-2010, 6:11 AM
...I think the CGF is not opposed to picking that up moving forward. We'll chat with him about it.

-Gene

Gene--

I'm sure that those of us who were unable to make this event would greatly appreciate your efforts to bring Sheriff Palmer back to Northern CA.

Thanks you again for your efforts this time around. :)

k1dude
11-15-2010, 7:59 AM
Just curious what the expected time is to see the permit in the mail?

I think it was a month or two.

Glenn E. Palmer
11-15-2010, 8:08 AM
Just a quick thank you to Brett and his two chldren, Gene Hoffman, John, Julianna (hope I spelled this right) and our driver for the evening Miguel!!!! The tour of San Francisco was appreciated.

We did a total of 135 CHL's and pulled into our driveway this morning at 3:15 a.m.

Thank you for the hospitality and new friends!!!!

Where to next??

Glenn

k1dude
11-15-2010, 8:12 AM
I'm not surprised that Sheriff Palmer is a good guy.
Over the years, I've met many high up LEO's. Captains, Chief Deputies, and a Sheriff candidate. They were all good guys, and behind doors, all told me that they would have no problem issuing CCWs to law abiding citizens.
They all told me that what the issuing authority needs though, is political cover to appease the anti-gun crowd.
My sense is that they would love the decision to be taken out of their hands. They also know that they cannot protect everybody. They could not say these things publicly and get re-elected.

And I've known CLEO's that don't think ANYONE other than LEO's should have guns - even in private.

As for the one's you've met that believe one thing behind closed doors and another in public.....well......that's just hypocrisy. Stand up for what you believe and do the right thing. That's one big reason this country is in such a mess. No one is willing to stand up for what's right and do the right thing. From politicians to common citizens, everyone seems to be afraid of doing the right thing and doing what's good for the United States. Hell, illegals and criminals seem to have more rights and benefits than citizens. How and when did that happen?

Sheriff Palmer is one of the good guys. He talks the talk and he walks the walk. It's not just second ammendment lip service. He's going out of his way to overtly provide us with a modicum of the rights provided to us by the second ammendment. More than a few CLEO's aren't happy with him in Oregon. But he's man enough to do what he's doing in spite of that. He's doing what he knows is right. This country needs more men like him, not less.

415shooter
11-15-2010, 8:28 AM
Sheriff Palmer to a shine to "his rifle" that I had at the booth with me. Sheriff Palmer is a great person, answered a couple questions for me about law enforcement career path. Yes Sheriff, I will take care of. "your" rifle

wash
11-15-2010, 9:55 AM
Thank you for visiting "the belly of the beast".

I was amazed when I learned that you made the trip on your own dime.

I hope that you can have a chance to do more sight seeing next time. I would have got you a bag of almond cookies from China Town if I had known...

I'm really glad that you were able to process so many CCW applications. They are great for the people who need them.

Thanks again.

Hopalong
11-15-2010, 10:22 AM
And I've known CLEO's that don't think ANYONE other than LEO's should have guns - even in private.

As for the one's you've met that believe one thing behind closed doors and another in public.....well......that's just hypocrisy. Stand up for what you believe and do the right thing. That's one big reason this country is in such a mess. No one is willing to stand up for what's right and do the right thing. From politicians to common citizens, everyone seems to be afraid of doing the right thing and doing what's good for the United States. Hell, illegals and criminals seem to have more rights and benefits than citizens. How and when did that happen?

Sheriff Palmer is one of the good guys. He talks the talk and he walks the walk. It's not just second ammendment lip service. He's going out of his way to overtly provide us with a modicum of the rights provided to us by the second ammendment. More than a few CLEO's aren't happy with him in Oregon. But he's man enough to do what he's doing in spite of that. He's doing what he knows is right. This country needs more men like him, not less.
Maybe so, but I'd bet they are in the minority, let's face it, it takes all kinds. I'd bet it's just as likely to be political spin.
Look, I don't dismiss your points at all, I agree with them.
The fact is, once you announce for Sheriff, or get elected Sheriff, you are a politician FIRST. Believe me, Sheriff Palmer, the great guy that he is, isn't going to battle for your 2nd ammendment rights at the risk of losing his job.
Sheriff Palmer obviously has the luxury of political cover (his constituency must be pro gun with their votes). If he's got that, what should he care what some CLEO says? They most likely don't have any influence with his constituency.
Again, I agree with your post. I just disagree slightly with the Sheriff's motives. It's a moot point really, because, yes, we do need more guys like Sheriff Palmer, and we'll take them any way we can

NoahTall
11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Sheriff Palmer, the great guy that he is, isn't going to battle for your 2nd ammendment rights at the risk of losing his job.

There is no way that you can know that about him, on a personal level.

What you say is true across the gen pop, though.

Hopalong
11-15-2010, 11:12 AM

Of course I can't KNOW that about him on a personal level. I'm just speaking about the laws of probability.
Would you risk your job fighting for someone else's rights?
I wouldn't, I've got to feed my family. I also wouldn't run for office, any office. I can't stand politics, and the money and favors it involves.
I guess my main point really had nothing to do with Sheriff Palmer.
What I'm saying is that some of these other Sheriffs who are often vilified here on Calguns may act differently if they had the political cover to do so.
Are they political, spin doctor, hypocrites? You bet they are.
I've got my Ca. CCW. I could sit back, and not get involved. But I'm outspoken, and donate money for the cause. I believe that every law abiding citizen should have that right. I can do so anonymously, and I'm not risking my job.
As a matter of fact, the responsibility and liability are so huge regarding CCW that I'd rather have someone else carry that burden. I rarely have a gun with me, only in strict accordance with my good cause statement, and there are no restrictions on my permit.
You are absolutely right, that we need more outspoken guys like Sheriff Palmer, who have a pulpit to speak from, and do so, even though they don't have to.

cedricxerxes
11-15-2010, 11:35 AM
A big thanks to Gray, Sheriff Palmer, and Calguns/CGF for making this happen.

I was second in line on Saturday and thought it went relatively smoothly given the normal first day trade show hiccups with power, etc. I also got a chance to speak with Sheriff Palmer and his family along with Gene. It was definitely worth the price of admission.

Notcivil
11-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Has there been any talk of Sheriff Palmer coming to southern California? I for one would go.

flyer898
11-15-2010, 3:50 PM
I was in line for the Cow Palace gunshow on Sunday when the doors opened. I found my way to the Oregon CCW line without too much trouble.

The line moved steadily (there was a hold-up because they had trouble getting good images of one person's prints). It was well organized and smoothly run -- everyone had a job, understood how to do that job and worked effectively with everyone else.

It took about 45 minutes and it would have been 15 minutes less but for the difficulty in fingerprinting one person.

johnny_22
11-15-2010, 4:04 PM
Just a quick thank you to Brett and his two chldren, Gene Hoffman, John, Julianna (hope I spelled this right) and our driver for the evening Miguel!!!! The tour of San Francisco was appreciated.

We did a total of 135 CHL's and pulled into our driveway this morning at 3:15 a.m.

Thank you for the hospitality and new friends!!!!

Where to next??

Glenn

What a difference that scanning machine made over my inked fingerprints. Thank you and your family for doing all the work. Thank you CalGuns and CalGuns Foundation. I had a fun Saturday.

Glenn E. Palmer
11-15-2010, 6:49 PM

We had a good time....good to me a lot of new people. We did get about a "three hour tour" and see some of the sights and eat some good food. WE need to figure a way around this fiasco and get our Constitutional rights restored....quickly....before we loose more!!!! Glenn

Glenn E. Palmer
11-15-2010, 6:53 PM

No, what I promise, regardless of where you live or who you are and as long as you don't use a firearm to commit a crime, I will put my job, any and all public and personal assests on the line to ensure that OUR constitutional rights are not violated....... Glenn

CenterX
11-15-2010, 7:00 PM
Sheriff Palmer -
Thank you for helping the Cal-Guns members learn to explore their rights outside of CA.
As I was unable to make it to the Palace this weekend - I'm looking forward to you providing this service again in Northern CA in the not to distant future. I'll be checking here often, or you can drop me a note before your next trip into Northern CA.
I can speculate that Southern CA CalGunners are hopeful for your team to visit them rather soon.
Meantime may peace be with you and your family -
LD