PDA

View Full Version : "Antioch Police Chief Says Staffing Outlook Bleak": Pro-CCW Opening?

Paladin
10-27-2010, 11:11 PM
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2010/10/27/antioch-police-chief-says-staffing-outlook-bleak/

"Antioch police Chief Jim Hyde told the City Council on Tuesday that his department has a 35 percent vacancy rate, including 50 unfilled positions and vacancies . . . .

[T]he department has avoided layoffs of sworn officers, but Hyde says the department may have to lay off anywhere between one to ten offices, depending on the city’s budget."

Doesn't this sound familiar? Isn't this the sort of thing that Sacto's sheriff was saying a few months before loosening up CCW issuance?

Could this be an opening for "the Right People" to have a talk w/Antioch's CoP about the new legal realities surrounding CCWs in CA?

If so, here's a little help:

James Hyde, Chief of Police
Antioch Police Facility
300 "L" Street
Antioch, California 94509
925-779-6902

Paladin
10-27-2010, 11:23 PM
Come to think of it, I heard Oakland was having a similar problem and laid off a bunch of LEOs, w/perhaps more layoffs coming before the new year. Given its national reputation and current realities, Oakland may be the more important target, esp if Alameda Co SO will be a "last holdout."

Anthony W. Batts, Chief of Police
Police Administration Building
455 7th Street

Oakland, CA 94607

phone: (510) 238-3455
510-777-3333

While I know the focus of CGF & allies' actions are counties, a dime and five minutes may be all it takes to see if either of these two cities' CoPs are worth "educating."

Rscan925
12-06-2010, 11:33 PM
looks like they have no choice but to lay off officers now that measure P did not pass. Antioch is a war zone now with ridiculous response times and VERY limited amount of officers. With the rising crime rates and police layoffs i sure hope antioch loosens up on CCW. i wont walk around my nieghborhood without open carrying since 2 people have been robbed this month in my neighborhood, and i dont even like the idea of UOC.

wildhawker
12-06-2010, 11:40 PM
We've already investigated those cities.

AndrewMendez
12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Antioch is in CoCo County, they will crumble soon.

Rscan925
12-06-2010, 11:55 PM
ohhhh, im behind on the ccw topic..lol i dont have much as im a college student but if there is any way to help or contribute id be more than willing to help for this cause.

being that a guy attempted to kidnap my girlfriend at the local gas station i would do anything to be able to rest at night knowing she has some type of protection when not with me.

AndrewMendez
12-07-2010, 12:09 AM
ohhhh, im behind on the ccw topic..lol i dont have much as im a college student but if there is any way to help or contribute id be more than willing to help for this cause.

being that a guy attempted to kidnap my girlfriend at the local gas station i would do anything to be able to rest at night knowing she has some type of protection when not with me.

Have you joined the volunteers?? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=353115)

Rscan925
12-07-2010, 12:19 AM
i just did! thanks for the link

AndrewMendez
12-07-2010, 2:17 AM
i just did! thanks for the link

No my friend...thank you. The good fight will be fought with a huge army!

Merle
12-07-2010, 8:50 AM
[QUOTE=Paladin;5201798]Come to think of it, I heard Oakland was having a similar problem and laid off a bunch of LEOs, w/perhaps more layoffs coming before the new year. Given its national reputation and current realities, Oakland may be the more important target, esp if Alameda Co SO will be a "last holdout."[QUOTE]

I heard the same. They were expecting to drop from ~900 to ~600 officers in the PD. Of course I also heard they were hiring like gangbusters a few years ago and had one of the highest starting salaries. Ah the ebb and flow of that which occurs in the bay.

yellowfin
12-07-2010, 9:02 AM
looks like they have no choice but to lay off officers now that measure P did not pass.Oh they HAVE choices, plenty of choices, just none they're willing to do. Governments don't go broke by accident and if anyone's starved them it's themselves. This idea that they need more money is absurd. They need to stop being shielded from the reality that businesses and households experience every day and STOP WASTING MONEY!

Steveo8
12-07-2010, 9:39 AM
Pretty much the truth, Hand out 20% pay cuts like businesses are doing. Don't like it go somewhere else.

jrara
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Yea, Antioch residents should really look into CCW.

I went to get a snack and a drink from the Carl's Jr. (next to that Shell Gas Station) with the girlfriend.

As soon we walked in, everybody looked freaked out. Manager comes out saying "we just been robbed."

So we leave.

My girlfriends parents own a house out there, which is scary because half of there neighbors seems to be on Section 8.

yellowfin
12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
My girlfriends parents own a house out there, which is scary because half of there neighbors seems to be on Section 8.There's at least half of your problem with the government there: Section 8 housing.

CCWFacts
12-07-2010, 12:14 PM
In places like Oakland, the elected officials are beholden to their gang constituents, who are directly endangered by CCW reform. They will never willingly allow CCW issuance. Chief Batts may be an ok person, but the city leadership owes some loyalty to their gang voters unfortunately.

JimWest
12-07-2010, 1:27 PM
Antioch is in CoCo County, they will crumble soon.

I'd bet against that. Hyde is not pro-gun and local pd must defer to sheriff-even more anti-gun. Not sure if Simonsen got elected but he would be the only city council member that would be close to progun. CoCo county is becoming like San Francisco, you hear people talking about constitutional rights but when it comes to voting the majority demonstrates otherwise.

Gray Peterson
12-07-2010, 1:50 PM
In places like Oakland, the elected officials are beholden to their gang constituents, who are directly endangered by CCW reform. They will never willingly allow CCW issuance. Chief Batts may be an ok person, but the city leadership owes some loyalty to their gang voters unfortunately.

And people wonder why we are not targeting cities?

-Gray

harbinger007
12-07-2010, 2:15 PM
I received my Sacramento County-issued CCW on Saturday and carried while in Antioch the following 3 days. My need to frequently go to Antioch is one of the reasons I wanted a CCW as much as I did. Sure isn't fair to the folks that live there.

CCWFacts
12-07-2010, 2:42 PM
And people wonder why we are not targeting cities?

I don't wonder. It's obvious to me. Read up on cases like Your Black Muslim Bakery, Deborah Edgerly, Uhuru House, and many other Oakland factoids and it's pretty obvious that gangs are a powerful player in Oakland's political process. They have every reason to fight CCW by any means necessary. It's awesome that counties are backing down from their illegal CCW policies without needing to sue them. The same would not happen in a gang-affiliated city like Oakland.

And there are 500+ cities to go after, but only 58 counties, and about 1/2 of the counties are already somewhat CCW-friendly.

TMC
12-07-2010, 2:59 PM
There's at least half of your problem with the government there: Section 8 housing.

The city brought this on themselves by not limiting the number of Section 8 tenants. Last I heard Antioch had 90% of Contra Costa's Section 8 tenants. The city council should know,or should have known, that the costs to the city will go up because of the problems that sector of the population brings with it. If they would have limited the numbers they wouldn't be as broke as they are now, its a downward spirial.

Gray Peterson
12-07-2010, 3:02 PM
The city brought this on themselves by not limiting the number of Section 8 tenants. Last I heard Antioch had 90% of Contra Costa's Section 8 tenants. The city council should know,or should have known, that the costs to the city will go up because of the problems that sector of the population brings with it. If they would have limited the numbers they wouldn't be as broke as they are now, its a downward spirial.

As Section 8 is a federal program, aren't the cities prevented by the terms of federal preemption from frustrating Section 8?

wildhawker
12-07-2010, 3:17 PM
CCWfacts, that really has nothing to do with it.

TMC
12-07-2010, 4:01 PM
As Section 8 is a federal program, aren't the cities prevented by the terms of federal preemption from frustrating Section 8?

I'm sure a city could limit the number of tenant occupied homes in any one area. There are lots of restrictions regarding occupancy and use in most subdivision CC&R's. If they wanted to, and cared, they could have done something.

You are right, it is a federal program with lots of fraud. That they allowed Section 8 tenants rent a 3,500 sq.ft home with a pool while they owned 3 cars and had a house keeper is just wrong. At the height of the market many people were renting huge homes with rents of $3,000+ per month to Seciotn 8 tenants and the progam was allowing it. They could have been renting more modest homes for arund $1,500 per month but the program, like most goverment progarms, wasn't watched closely.

yellowfin
12-07-2010, 4:06 PM
Does anyone other than me find it ironic yet appropriate that Section 8 also means insanity?

spddrcr
12-07-2010, 9:38 PM
antioch had a problem long befor they were the section 8 capitol of CCcounty. Alot of it had to do with people getting in over their heads with home loans and then walking from the houses, other investors then snatched up the houses and offered them as rental properties. blaming the problems of antioch on section 8 is kinda silly when it comes down to it, how about blaming antioch for antiochs problems?

1JimMarch
12-07-2010, 9:58 PM
Guys, I don't think you understand what's going on in the heads of cops (from the top down) in the seriously messed up downs such as Richmond, Antioch, East Palo Alto, Compton, etc.

In those towns, law enforcement actively hates and distrusts the public they serve.

I am not exaggerating one bit.

When I first started getting involved in CCW reform in Richmond (Contra Costa County), I talked to several town cops. The universal reaction was that if CCW issuance became widespread, most would quit. Several that I talked to agreed on this point.

I'm not kidding here guys...they will absolutely have to be forced into CCW issuance kicking and screaming via "obvious winner" lawsuits such as just happened in Sacatomatoes.

AndrewMendez
12-07-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd bet against that. Hyde is not pro-gun and local pd must defer to sheriff-even more anti-gun. Not sure if Simonsen got elected but he would be the only city council member that would be close to progun. CoCo county is becoming like San Francisco, you hear people talking about constitutional rights but when it comes to voting the majority demonstrates otherwise.

Sounds just like what people said about Sacramento County 9 months ago... ;)

Wild Squid
12-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Guys, I don't think you understand what's going on in the heads of cops (from the top down) in the seriously messed up downs such as Richmond, Antioch, East Palo Alto, Compton, etc.

In those towns, law enforcement actively hates and distrusts the public they serve.

I am not exaggerating one bit.

When I first started getting involved in CCW reform in Richmond (Contra Costa County), I talked to several town cops. The universal reaction was that if CCW issuance became widespread, most would quit. Several that I talked to agreed on this point.

I'm not kidding here guys...they will absolutely have to be forced into CCW issuance kicking and screaming via "obvious winner" lawsuits such as just happened in Sacatomatoes.

I completely agree with this ^. You can say many cops are just normal guys like the rest of us, but they are still different. They are cops. And ALL cops become cops for a reason. They want the POWER. Spare me the bull about them wanting to make a difference. While that may be true, it is NOT the reason they become cops. They become cops for the POWER! In Thailand, cops PAY money up to $15,000 to become cops. Why ? For the POWER! It is the same the world over. Cops will value this power until CCW comes into play then they will feel like they have less power. That is the absolute truth and it's not even up for discussion.

Rscan925
12-07-2010, 11:49 PM
\When I first started getting involved in CCW reform in Richmond (Contra Costa County), I talked to several town cops. The universal reaction was that if CCW issuance became widespread, most would quit. Several that I talked to agreed on this point.

thats great news coming from the cops!! then hopefully some jobs will open up for people like me who want to become officers to protect and serve the communities we live in, rather than just do it for the money or power.