PDA

View Full Version : ghost ring sights for mossy 500

maschronic
06-13-2006, 1:04 AM
i want to put some sights on my mossy 500 so i can use it this summer for pig hunting.

i'm stuck on two different sights. 1) ghost ring sights 2) use weaver rail and put a red dot on it.

for the ghost ring, i noticed that it said "gunsmithing required". has anybody here put on a ghost ring for their mossy? i understand that the rear sights are screwed on. how much gunsmithing is required? do i unscrew the front bead sights and screw on the new one on? or does it require me to do some welding or cutting? i was just curious.

what do you think is a good option for me?

oh, what is the difference between mossy 500 and 590?

thanks in advance for your feedback.

Mesa Tactical
06-13-2006, 7:01 AM
Mossbergs are nice because they are already tapped at the factory for rear sights or a rail. The Mossberg factory ghost ring is nothing fancy, but it seems to work and it installs with no gunsmithing.

I think if any fitting is required it's for the front post. The only reliable way to attach it is by silver solder, and you need to use a jig to ensure the post is vertical when the barrel is installed.

So the front post is the hardest part of the upgrade.

If you install a P-rail and a red dot, you won't have to worry about the front post. But you will be out almost $450 for a decent set-up, the price of two Mossberg 500s.

maschronic
06-13-2006, 8:18 AM
If you install a P-rail and a red dot, you won't have to worry about the front post. But you will be out almost $450 for a decent set-up, the price of two Mossberg 500s.

Thanks Mesa for your input.

i noticed that on ebay, a weaver rail for the mossy for 15 bucks. i know i can get a cheap red dot for 40 bucks. i figured that setup will cost me 60 bucks out the door. the cost for the ghost ring is around there.

i think i will end up doing the ghost ring.

maxicon
06-13-2006, 9:02 AM
I'd worry about the recoil of a 12 gauge beating up a cheap red dot, but I've never put optics on any shotguns.

A ghost ring is pretty solid - not much to go wrong if it's well attached.

caduckgunner
06-13-2006, 1:30 PM
I'd go with the ghostrings. I am having Mossberg ghost rings mounted on my Winchester 1200 defender. The price is right on them.

ivanimal
06-13-2006, 2:55 PM
I put a cheap scope on a remington 870 once, it lasted 3 shots.:eek:

maschronic
06-13-2006, 3:56 PM
ok. well, i guess its settled then. i'll go with my first choice. thanks everyone for your feedback.

scott.cr
06-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Just FYI, I bought a Weaver brand rail for my 500, and though the screw holes matched up to those in the receiver, the rail was way too long so I had to cut it down on my bandsaw and square it up on my mill.

Other than that it was a decent setup for a smoothbore firing Brenneke slugs with a Nikko Sterling red dot. (I bought the red dot from CDNN and it wasn't made in Japan, it was made in China but held zero reasonably well considering it was mounted to a screwed-on rail.)