PDA

View Full Version : Bad experience with Sentry and Wal-Mart

BerkeleyHK
06-12-2006, 10:41 PM
I purchased a Sentry safe from Wal-Mart.com and was delivered 2 weeks ago without keys, and to this day I am no closer at resolving the issue. I have sent countless hours on the phone with both Sentry and Wal-Mart in a complete waste of time.

It is completely ridiculous that I have to contact both companies and they refuse to talk to each other to get this set resolved. Sentry need to get some information from Wal-Mart, but the department in Wal-Mart that handles it cannot be contacted directly, not even the supervisor can do it. Somehow they are supposed to release some information to Sentry, and after doing so Sentry will send the keys to Wal-Mart, who in turn ship them to me. They estimate it takes 3 weeks from the time is the release is sent. It has been 2 weeks and the process hasnít even started yet. Wal-Mart has not sent the release (actually we are not entirely sure since its impossible to contact the person taking care of it) and Sentry wonít call Wal-Mart to get this resolved. Both companies should be ashamed at their customer service, especially for maintaining such a ridiculous process to get new keys.

I am going to return this safe on Wednesday and will never buy another Sentry product and will refuse to use Wal-Mart.com again.

NagantHunter
06-12-2006, 10:44 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems there. I was going to buy a safe online from them as well. After reading that post and my experience there last night (spent 20 minutes waiting at the ammo counter and got told by one of the employees that he was "too busy" to call a manager), I'll take my business elsewhere!

kantstudien
06-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Yeah, Sentry isn't very good at getting back to you. But to their credit, I bought a Home Depot floor model for $200 out the door, but it had no rifle dividers. The dial cap was also missing, so I emailed and called Sentry. After calling them again two weeks later, I finally got all the accessories from Sentry free of charge about a week later.

50 Freak
06-13-2006, 3:10 PM
I have to ask....why did you buy a Safe without keys?

BerkeleyHK
06-13-2006, 4:41 PM
I have to ask....why did you buy a Safe without keys?

Itís a new safe that I ordered from Wal-Mart.com. It was supposed to come with keys but someone screwed up. When I opened the box there were no keys.

wilit
06-13-2006, 5:45 PM
Take it back to Wal-Mart. Even though you ordered it online, you can still take it back to a store for a refund.

vonsmith
06-13-2006, 9:00 PM
From my experience Walmart's customer service is either pretty good or it really really sux. I try to shop there only for things I can get off the shelf myself and try to use the self service checkout. Unfortunately what I buy most there is ammo and that means I need someone to serve me. 50% of the time it is extremely miserable. Low prices on ammo or not, someday I'm just going to get fed up and never go back.

I bought a Winchester gun safe on sale at Sam's Club a while back. The price was excellent, but you had to pick it up, no delivery. 600 pounds of safe was challenging to move. The pick up at the store was unnecessarily complicated and no one knew what they were doing. I wasted at least an hour picking it up.

=vonsmith=

accordingtoome
06-13-2006, 10:08 PM
When you get the Sentry safe the it sould be locked with all the stuff inside. when i bought mine i had to spend like ten minutes just to unrap it.
If it was wrapped up tite when you bought it then its not walmarts problem. You would have to call the company direct.

I have had no problems and love my safe..

BerkeleyHK
06-13-2006, 10:35 PM
When you get the Sentry safe the it sould be locked with all the stuff inside. when i bought mine i had to spend like ten minutes just to unrap it.
If it was wrapped up tite when you bought it then its not walmarts problem. You would have to call the company direct.

I have had no problems and love my safe..

I know itís most likely Sentryís fault. It was packaged well but there was no key (and yes it came locked). They tried to use the excuse that Wal-Mart could have lost it, but I called their BS on it. Regardless, Sentry needs a release from Wal-Mart to send the key. Itís completely asinine that I have to be the one to coordinate the communication between the two companies. If Sentry had good customer service, then all I would have to do is make one call to them and they would step up and fix the problem. Instead, I have to call both companies and get on their cases to do their jobs, but so far itís been futile.

magmaster
06-14-2006, 1:16 PM
I bought my Sentry from Home Depot and the keys were missing. I sent an email to Sentry and they asked me the model of the safe and the date I purchased it. I gave them the info and the key code from the lock box. They replied with "The keys were sent out today and you should see them in 3-5 business days". Simple as that, so I should have the keys today or at least i hope...

caliar15
06-18-2006, 4:54 PM
I know itís most likely Sentryís fault. It was packaged well but there was no key (and yes it came locked). They tried to use the excuse that Wal-Mart could have lost it, but I called their BS on it. Regardless, Sentry needs a release from Wal-Mart to send the key. Itís completely asinine that I have to be the one to coordinate the communication between the two companies. If Sentry had good customer service, then all I would have to do is make one call to them and they would step up and fix the problem. Instead, I have to call both companies and get on their cases to do their jobs, but so far itís been futile.
Would you rather they send the keys out to anyone who had your info? sounds like they are doing it right making it a headache.

socalguns
06-18-2006, 5:42 PM
Would you rather they send the keys out to anyone who had your info? sounds like they are doing it right making it a headache.
Info is what its about.
If someone stole his safe, all his info, they'd be the ones talking
to both walmart and the manufacturer, trying to get the keys.
This headache doesn't offer any extra protection to the consumer.

socalsteve
06-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Since you ordered it and had it deliverred I am thinking you might have used a credit card to purchase it.

If you did, call your credit card company and dispute the charge because it arrived incomplete and state you will not pay the charge until you have all items that should have come with it.

I don't know if all credit card companies will support you but my Visa, Mastercard and Discover do (they are platinum cards so that might make a difference).

And, you do not have to ship the item back or do anything - the seller must make it right.

These are just the keys for the interior ammo box right? If so you can still use the safe and if they never fix it you have a free safe.

caliar15
06-19-2006, 2:04 PM
Since you ordered it and had it deliverred I am thinking you might have used a credit card to purchase it.

If you did, call your credit card company and dispute the charge because it arrived incomplete and state you will not pay the charge until you have all items that should have come with it.

I don't know if all credit card companies will support you but my Visa, Mastercard and Discover do (they are platinum cards so that might make a difference).

And, you do not have to ship the item back or do anything - the seller must make it right.

These are just the keys for the interior ammo box right? If so you can still use the safe and if they never fix it you have a free safe.
You might want to read your card agreement cause if you make a payment on the card before you dispute you are out of luck.

caliar15
06-19-2006, 2:06 PM
Info is what its about.
If someone stole his safe, all his info, they'd be the ones talking
to both walmart and the manufacturer, trying to get the keys.
This headache doesn't offer any extra protection to the consumer.
What I am trying to say is that until wallmartconfirms you were the buyer to sentry it seems there hands are tied.

Electric Factory
06-19-2006, 2:29 PM
" When you get the Sentry safe the it sould be locked with all the stuff inside. when i bought mine i had to spend like ten minutes just to unrap it.
If it was wrapped up tite when you bought it then its not walmarts problem. You would have to call the company direct."

------------
Geez guys, I can't believe all of the apologists for poor ol' multi-billion dollar corporation WalMart.
This poor guy[ a consumer like you or I ] bought a 'defective' product , since the item can't be used as intended w/o the keys. Would you expect to take delivery of a new car w/o the keys ??
Since WalMart doesn't actually make the products it sells, this 'defective' safe is no different than any other product they market and [ presumably] stand behind when it doesn't work as advertised.
Sentry may be at the root of the problem, but this guys beef is with the seller- WalMart.
That's who took his money and that's why it's WalMarts problem to make right, IMHO.

magmaster
06-19-2006, 2:34 PM
I posted earlier and I got my keys in 5 days no questions asked. I say send them an email like I did and don't mention anything else but the facts. Don't tell them of the dispute and see what they do. All I was asked was the key code and the serial/model number.

stickman
06-19-2006, 9:30 PM
You might want to read your card agreement cause if you make a payment on the card before you dispute you are out of luck.

This should not be the case. Dispute resolution timeframes are much longer than your 20-25 day payment cycle. Most fraud/dispute resolution can go up to 120 days. There have been plenty of people that didn't notice a problem until a month or two later when something doesn't add up.

Brian

BerkeleyHK
06-21-2006, 12:39 PM
I can understand their security issues, but it should not have taken more than one phone call on my part to resolve the issue. Ideally I call Sentry and they call Wal-Mart and resolve the issue. But this is how it went; I call Sentry, they tell me to call Wal-Mart and tell Wal-Mart to contact Sentry (first of all what kind of customer service is that?). Wal-Mart contacts them but does not have my serial number and model number, so Wal-Mart contacts me and I give it to them. I in turn call Sentry and give them the information as well, but it is not good enough, they have to wait for Wal-Mart to tell them (even though they have talked before). Somewhere along this long chain of events the bureaucracy took over and someone messed up.

Another messed up part of this experience is that Sentry has had trouble finding out what keys I need. I had given my serial number to several of their operators and they kept telling me itís not a valid number (in desperation several of the operators had transferred me to an automated message and I had to re-call, spending more time on hold waiting to talk to a representative). Also they have asked me for the number that is on the lock, but there is absolutely no number on my lock safe.

Now can you see why I am frustrated with Sentry?

caliar15
06-22-2006, 1:35 PM
This should not be the case. Dispute resolution timeframes are much longer than your 20-25 day payment cycle. Most fraud/dispute resolution can go up to 120 days. There have been plenty of people that didn't notice a problem until a month or two later when something doesn't add up.

Brian
Refer to my quote again, my card says exactly that.

xenophobe
06-23-2006, 2:01 AM
Regardless of what your card says, it wasn't the card that purchased the safe.

BerkleyHK, call your CC company, file the dispute... if Walmart gets backcharged, you'll be damned sure some corrective action will be taken.