PDA

View Full Version : My first featureless build

$P-Ritch$
10-27-2010, 5:36 PM
Hey all,

I just finished my first featureless just in time for my first ever three-gun match this weekend.

So, how did I do? I've seen in other threads people saying that linear comps have flash suppressing capabilities. That wasn't advertised anywhere for the Troy claymore brake, so I should be okay, right?

Specs:
-Noveske N4 16" RECCE upper w/ 11" rail
-Free factory seconds lower (came with upper)
-fixed CTR stock, I removed the cross bar that the lever pushes on to adjust the LOP
-DD LPK
-Troy BUIS
-Exile Machine HammerHead grip
-BAD
-LMT ambi safety
-BCM Mod 3 CH

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/pritchardjonathan/IMG_0712.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/pritchardjonathan/IMG_0711.jpg

themailman
10-27-2010, 5:43 PM
Wow, very nice build, its a shame to see it neutered.

Exile Machine
10-27-2010, 5:46 PM
Wow, very nice build, its a shame to see it neutered.

Looks great!

Neutered? I don't see a mag lock on it? :43:

themailman
10-27-2010, 5:47 PM
Neutered as in not normal like the other 49 states...

Exile Machine
10-27-2010, 5:48 PM
:43:
Good luck on the 3-gun. Let us know how it goes.

-Mark

PyroFox79
10-27-2010, 5:49 PM
If anything the only difference is a different grip.

coma13
10-27-2010, 5:49 PM
Seems like featureless is the ticket for competition shooting in CA.

$P-Ritch$
10-27-2010, 5:55 PM
Seems like featureless is the ticket for competition shooting in CA.

Yeah, I was trying to think of how I could use my BB AR, and it just wasn't happening. It'll still be bothersome enough with just ten round mags. I went to observe last month and almost all the guys there have preban high caps. Oh well, here's to more practice on the emergency reload!

tomd1584
10-27-2010, 5:57 PM
looks great.

MrPlink
10-27-2010, 6:46 PM
Now there's a truly "evil" rifle.

maxwellca21
10-27-2010, 9:58 PM
very nice...but only in California. bring that thing to Arizona and everyone will laugh at you.

mikaarce
10-28-2010, 10:05 AM
good luck!

wsmc27
10-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Well done, good luck in your competitions!

:)

Exile Machine
10-28-2010, 10:53 AM
very nice...but only in California. bring that thing to Arizona and everyone will laugh at you.

Arizonans may scoff but when I bring my Hammerhead-equipped rifle to the range here in Texas I get swamped by a lot of very interested bystanders who want to check it out. They're always amazed to hear that you can get any kind of AR-15 in California. Most believe they're totally banned...

-Mark

bjl333
10-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Arizonans may scoff but when I bring my Hammerhead-equipped rifle to the range here in Texas I get swamped by a lot of very interested bystanders who want to check it out. They're always amazed to hear that you can get any kind of AR-15 in California. Most believe they're totally banned...

-Mark

Yeap!! Just bought a collasible stock from a guy in OK. He thought we couldn't have collasible stocks here in Cali.

ZX-10R
10-28-2010, 11:03 AM

Bring that to WA and people will do the same.

problemchild
10-28-2010, 11:05 AM
If you move that stock forward does it form a closed thumb hole?

Exile Machine
10-28-2010, 11:25 AM

We've actually sold a bunch of these into Washington state, as well as the rest of the free states.

Something to be careful about with a Type III config (http://www.exilemachine.com/gallery.html) using a pinned collapsible stock or a fixed stock like the RRA Operator stock. Make sure there's a gap between the back of the Hammerhead and the stock. Otherwise you may inadvertently create an "evil" thumbhole stock.

mif_slim
10-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, I brought mines to NV nobody laughed at me. lol came in 6th place out of 42. HAHA.

Anyways, kool AR! ;)

A guy here in CA thought I had a folding pistol grip until he came to ask. haha...

Exile Machine
10-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Well, I brought mines to NV nobody laughed at me. lol came in 6th place out of 42. HAHA.

Would love to split off into another thread to hear that story, hopefully with photos...

-Mark

SuperSet
10-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Looks great, man. Enjoy the match and let us know how it goes (pictures and video!)

Hopi
10-28-2010, 12:13 PM

A person whom laughs at the gun and not the shot is probably a person to not take too seriously.

Exile-

Can the material on the top of the grip where it meets with the receiver curve be removed without jeopardizing the integrity of the grip?

barbasol
10-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Good Luck! If I ever go featureless I'd go with the Hammerhead too

DannyInSoCal
10-28-2010, 12:19 PM

The stock has to be pinned in place (not movable) on a featureless build.

Nice work !!

TreeHugger
10-28-2010, 12:23 PM
I just finished my first featureless just in time for my first ever three-gun

Nice looking, except for the grip. I freaking hate this STUPID (_*_) CA law, it makes no damn sense, BS politics. Making it featureless, is no different than this Ken Doll :confused:
http://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/ken-doll-naked.jpg

This looks to be an older video done by a cop in San Jose, differentiating what is an AW and what is not, and I completely agree with him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysf8x477c30

Hopi
10-28-2010, 12:31 PM
I freaking hate this STUPID (_*_) CA law, it makes no god damn sense, BS politics. Making it featureless, is no differenct than this Ken doll :confused: http://healthhabits.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/ken-doll-naked.jpg

While I agree about the laws, I haven't any experience playing with Barbie dolls so you might want to explain your analogy for the men on the forum.

As for the grip...have you ever shot a grip that is in that config? I have been running something very similar, and have been for much longer than Exile has been on the market. It's actually very comfortable and, at least with mine, I can still 1-hand all the functions I need to...drop mags, work safety, etc. Not to mention I can hold the gun securely while shooting one-handed and transition to my weak-side with ease.

I don't know if my version is any better than a standard grip angle per se, but it certainly isn't any worse. I can speak from the experience of using both setups and shooting thousands and thousands of rounds in both configs.

Exile Machine
10-28-2010, 1:26 PM
Can the material on the top of the grip where it meets with the receiver curve be removed without jeopardizing the integrity of the grip?

http://exilemachine.com/images/nomenclature1.JPG

You're referring to what we call the "Hump." That can be removed quite easily with a hacksaw or dremel tool.

If you modify the Hammerhead (and we have plenty of customers who do modify them), you need to be careful not to inadvertently destroy the geometry that keeps it from being a pistol grip under CA law.

http://www.exilemachine.com/images/IMG_8060_CLINE.JPG

What we call the "spine" would be off limits to any modifications. To err on the side of caution, we designed it to sit about a half centimeter above the legal line, shown in yellow in the photo above. If you grind off the hump don't grind it any lower than the spine or you've potentially created an evil pistol grip.

-Mark
Exile Machine LLC

daveyshooter
10-28-2010, 1:51 PM
If I ever felt the need for a featurless AR15, I'd go with the Hammerhead Grip.
But I don't crave hi cap mags.
A good shooter will always be better than a "spray and pray" type.
One well placed bullet is all it takes.

Fate
10-28-2010, 3:07 PM

Ah, but what if the guy on the other end of the 2-way range is a good shot AND has 30 rounders? LOL

wsmc27
10-28-2010, 3:16 PM

Ah, and what if you are doing a tactical shoot with multiple targets, multiple failure drills? Or a non-standard response??

I've seen plenty of guys with hi-caps that never spray and pray - they have excellent shot placement. Repeatedly.

...thinking people with hi-caps probably enjoy them.

;)