PDA

View Full Version : A New York police officer shoots the weapon out of a robber's hands?!?!

shock
10-27-2010, 6:09 PM
might be a repost, but...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/10/27/new.york.salon.cop/index.html?hpt=T2

A New York police officer getting her hair done over the weekend thwarted a would-be robber in a beauty salon, shooting the weapon from the gunman's hands, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said in awarding the officer a promotion.
Kelly praised the actions of newly promoted Det. Feris Jones Tuesday, saying she "showed the steely courage and professionalism that epitomizes the finest traditions of the New York City Police Department."
"Well done and congratulations," the commissioner said as he pinned a gold detective shield to Jones' uniform.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg also expressed his gratitude at the news conference.
"This officer, like the other officers that are out there every day, really do take care of us," he said.
Kelly said Jones was a customer in a salon Saturday when a man walked in with a gun.
"'This is no joke, this is a robbery. I will kill you,"' Kelly quoted the gunman as saying.
After the man ordered the customers and employees into the bathroom, Jones reemerged with her weapon drawn, identified herself as a police officer, and told the man not to move, Kelly said.
The suspect fired four shots at Jones, narrowly missing her head with one, the commissioner recounted. She fired five shots back -- emptying her service revolver and marking the first time she'd ever fired her weapon in the line of duty -- and hit both of the man's hands, causing him to drop his 44-caliber gun.
Her shots also knocked the handle off the door of the salon, briefly trapping the man as he tried to escape, Kelly said. He eventually broke the window in the door and fled on foot.
"She knew the gunman might shoot, and when he did, she was ready for him, demonstrating stunning marksmanship in the process," the commissioner said.
"To describe Officer Jones as cool under fire would be a gross understatement," he added.
"That's my personality. I don't fuss about much," Jones responded modestly, asking reporters to address her as "Jonesy" instead of Detective Jones.
The new detective said she got her start in the department when her then-husband brought home an application for the force because he "liked the coverage and medical benefits."
The accused gunman was arrested Monday, police said. Winston Cox, 19, is charged with attempted murder, attempted aggravated robbery, and criminal possession of a weapon.

shot 5 times and one of them happened to hit the bad guy!

shock
10-27-2010, 6:11 PM
stunning marksmanship :rofl:

Dr Rockso
10-27-2010, 6:14 PM
And a doorknob.

xr650r
10-27-2010, 6:15 PM
So much for Center Of Mass.

Rhythm of Life
10-27-2010, 6:15 PM

Don't forget she was aiming at his hands, knocking the gun out was totally on purpose :laugh:

383green
10-27-2010, 6:17 PM
Once I shot the steel gong right off its hook from 200 yards with my M1903. Offhand, standing, with iron sights. But if I ever found myself in the same position as Jonesy, I'd be very satisfied if I hit the bad guy one out of five times, ended the threat, didn't hit any bystanders, and lived to tell about it. I rather doubt that she intentionally shot the gun out of his hands and shot off the doorknob, but it sounds to me like she did just fine under the circumstances.

Edited to add: If she was trying to shoot center-of-mass and the gunman was holding the gun out in front of him with both hands, then a round hitting him in the hands doesn't sound too wild to me.

nick
10-27-2010, 6:19 PM
Now they'll really push for that being the standard.

383green
10-27-2010, 6:23 PM

Especially if they have financial interest in any doorknob manufacturers. :rofl2:

Anchors
10-27-2010, 6:27 PM

Haha probably. California will be require this training for all peace officers.

Allow the person shoot their weapon until empty.
Shoot the gun out of their hands.
Shoot the handles off doors to prevent escape.

Then people will be protesting because some armed rapist got shot in the finger :rolleyes:

gtturborex
10-27-2010, 6:48 PM
Both hands shot. Damn thats gotta suck...

nick
10-27-2010, 6:57 PM
Both hands shot. Damn thats gotta suck...

Temporary unemployment! His gun hand is injured. And I'm not kidding, he might just sue her for that. I got sued for the attacker's being temporarily unemployable (is that even a word?) a decade ago. The guy's knife arm was broken, you see, poor thing.

scarville
10-27-2010, 7:01 PM
Isn't New York City where the shoot six, hit once school of combat marksmanship orginated?

Josh3239
10-27-2010, 7:04 PM
Story reminds me of this:

6QCiGQjtqxc

3B830
10-27-2010, 7:12 PM
Any gunfight you walk away from is a win. Glad she is ok!

HowardW56
10-27-2010, 7:17 PM

:iagree:

Rossi357
10-27-2010, 7:19 PM
Why did she shoot the doorknob? It wasn't doing anything wrong.

gravedigger
10-27-2010, 7:51 PM
She sad, "Don't worry! I got a handle on it!"

Nor-Cal
10-27-2010, 7:53 PM
I'm glad to hear she stopped a would be robbery, but sucks for the would be robber getting shot in the hands but that's what he gets.

TKM
10-27-2010, 7:56 PM
Tunnel vision, dialed in on the threat.

Pretty common, lots of hand shots out there.

BZ to the officer.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-27-2010, 7:59 PM
She aimed at the threat - and luckily for her and everyone except the BG, made hits. Sounds like her hit percentage was pretty darn good! Outstanding job.

cc56
10-27-2010, 8:02 PM
I may be wayyyy off base here, but I thought I heard that shooting the suspect gun was common. The theory behind it was when you are in a confrontation you will focus on the threat (the gun), then when you are returning fire you hit what you are looking at. At least with the first shot you do, then the rest go where ever. Has anyone else heard of this? It makes sense to me. I agree from an earlier post if you walk away uninjured from a shoot out, then it is a win!

IntoForever
10-27-2010, 8:05 PM
Good that she stopped the douche, didn't get hit, no innocent casualties. I do have to call her on the precision shooting after 5 shots fired with 2 hits. If she can shoot both hands intentionally then the other 3 would have found their mark as well.

In a defensive handgun class I stepped up to the line, the instructor yelled at me to "put him down". I took a quick aim, fired one shot and snapped one of the ropes holding the steel plate at 50 yards. The swinging action quickly cut through the other rope and the plate fell. I felt it was funny as hell but this was simply put, a luck shot.

383green
10-27-2010, 8:40 PM
In a defensive handgun class I stepped up to the line, the instructor yelled at me to "put him down". I took a quick aim, fired one shot and snapped one of the ropes holding the steel plate at 50 yards. The swinging action quickly cut through the other rope and the plate fell. I felt it was funny as hell but this was simply put, a luck shot.

That's some funny stuff right there! :thumbsup:

My shooting the gong off its hanger was also a pure luck shot... but the folks at nearby benches who saw it still thought it was pretty danged cool, and I salute this cop for her lucky shots that got the job done, too.

383green
10-27-2010, 8:45 PM
Temporary unemployment! His gun hand is injured. And I'm not kidding, he might just sue her for that. I got sued for the attacker's being temporarily unemployable (is that even a word?) a decade ago. The guy's knife arm was broken, you see, poor thing.

How did the suit go? If I was on that jury, I'd want to deliver a verdict of factual stupidity and sentence the d-bag to having you break his other arm. Sadly, the jury instructions rarely allow quite that much latitude.

nick
10-27-2010, 9:05 PM
How did the suit go? If I was on that jury, I'd want to deliver a verdict of factual stupidity and sentence the d-bag to having you break his other arm. Sadly, the jury instructions rarely allow quite that much latitude.

Thrown out at the preliminary hearing. The judge was pretty angry that this was brought up in front of him in the first place. I got lucky, but still ended up paying for the lawyer.

Honeydos
10-27-2010, 9:19 PM
Look, 2 or 1 out of 5 ain't bad when you've got a 44 blazing away at your face.

She fought. She won. Good deal.

383green
10-27-2010, 9:30 PM
Look, 2 or 1 out of 5 ain't bad when you've got a 44 blazing away at your face.

She fought. She won. Good deal.

Not only that, but it appears that she went on the offensive and re-engaged the threat once she had an opportunity to get her weapon. It wasn't just self-defense; she put duty over safety and deliberately went into battle against the alleged d-bag. And based on the 5-shot number that's being thrown around, I'd guess she had nothing but a little J-frame to do it with.

Kid Stanislaus
10-27-2010, 9:42 PM
I'm glad to hear she stopped a would be robbery, but sucks for the would be robber getting shot in the hands but that's what he gets.

Yeah, poor guy, its just ripp'n my heart out!!:43:

Anchors
10-27-2010, 9:55 PM
Story reminds me of this:

6QCiGQjtqxc

Is that real? That is crazy. I wish I could shoot like that.

Thrown out at the preliminary hearing. The judge was pretty angry that this was brought up in front of him in the first place. I got lucky, but still ended up paying for the lawyer.

That is so lame. Glad the judge had some common sense!

Honeydos
10-27-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah it's real.

IntoForever
10-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Sounds like his 'normal' sex life is gone but I'm sure his new cellmate will help him out with that! :D

Stonewalker
10-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Haha probably. California will be require this training for all peace officers.

Allow the person shoot their weapon until empty.
Shoot the gun out of their hands.
Shoot the handles off doors to prevent escape.

Then people will be protesting because some armed rapist got shot in the finger :rolleyes:

I freaking laughed out loud and just woke up my wife, thanks alot!

tonelar
10-28-2010, 7:13 AM
Anyone know if that "John Wayne Law"* died in assembly?

*unclear if it was NYC, but it supposedly will require peace officers to go for wounding or weapon shots in any confrontation with an armed perp.

Mulay El Raisuli
10-28-2010, 7:40 AM
She sad, "Don't worry! I got a handle on it!"

LOL!

The Raisuli

Carsgunsandchics
10-28-2010, 8:01 AM
So much for Center Of Mass.

If this is the case he must not of been to the east of her. (Mass=Massachusetts in her case)

OleCuss
10-28-2010, 8:10 AM
Congrats to the cop on a job well-done. She showed courage and, while I'd not call it "stunning marksmanship", it sounds like she did some pretty decent shooting as well.

I'd shake her hand, salute her, whatever!

shock
10-28-2010, 8:56 AM
imagine how loud those few seconds were.

no silencers, no ear protection.

adrenalin pumping like crazy.

phew.

and no stray bullets hitting anything out in the street either.

ocspeedracer
10-28-2010, 9:06 AM
too bad she only had her service revolver and not something like a 12 round Glock, she could've finnished the job so we (taxpayers) wouldn't have to foot this idiot's housing and food, etc.

vandal
10-28-2010, 9:25 AM
She was probably shooting center of mass, that's where the bad guy's gun was. Point in at a mirror and tell me where you see your gun -- center of mass.

IMHO the mistake she made was identifying herself as a police officer and telling the guy not to move, after he had already announced his motives. She gave him the opportunity to shoot first, she was just lucky he missed.

"'This is no joke, this is a robbery. I will kill you,"' Kelly quoted the gunman as saying.
After the man ordered the customers and employees into the bathroom, Jones reemerged with her weapon drawn, identified herself as a police officer, and told the man not to move, Kelly said.
The suspect fired four shots at Jones, narrowly missing her head with one,

yellowfin
10-28-2010, 9:27 AM
I wish someone would take NYS out of NYC's hands.

rodeoflyer
10-28-2010, 9:31 AM
Bad Guy Bleeds + Cop Comes Home = Good Day

OleCuss
10-28-2010, 9:33 AM
She was probably shooting center of mass, that's where the bad guy's gun was. Point in at a mirror and tell me where you see your gun -- center of mass.

IMHO the mistake she made was identifying herself as a police officer and telling the guy not to move, after he had already announced his motives. She gave him the opportunity to shoot first, she was just lucky he missed.

Valid point. Might have been following department policy? I don't know enough to be sure. Either way, I agree that letting her revolver do all the talking would have been better.

Decoligny
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Don't forget she was aiming at his hands, knocking the gun out was totally on purpose :laugh:

If he had the gun held like this guy, then two of the rounds at least went in the general direction of center mass. I think she might have been aiming at his face and was just unlucky that the gun and his hands stopped the bullets from letting air into his skull. :D

http://www.sportsmans-depot.com/product_images/q/337/KLK5__57699_zoom.jpg

Decoligny
10-28-2010, 12:56 PM

The correct method is: BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG "Police, Drop the weapon and don't move." :D

stix213
10-28-2010, 1:19 PM
They forgot to mention that as he tried to escape in his vehicle, the officer then shot the keys from the ignition... followed by her tossing a pair of handcuffs into the air, shooting them at the high point of their arch, so they would both land and lock closed on the suspect's wrist & the car's steering wheel allowing her to finish her salon visit before having to further deal with the criminal.

:p

OleCuss
10-28-2010, 1:30 PM
I think we may be missing an important lesson: Do not mess with a woman intent on getting her hair done!

imtheomegaman
10-28-2010, 2:46 PM
too bad she didn't "miss" and shoot the guy in the head, what the heck was she aiming at? Hit him in both hands?????

Wherryj
10-28-2010, 3:04 PM
Why did she shoot the doorknob? It wasn't doing anything wrong.

It was right next to the perp's groin-the intended target.

Spanky8601
10-28-2010, 3:58 PM

True..but Management's story about the marksmanship is total:rofl2::icon_bs:

Peter.Steele
10-28-2010, 4:04 PM
Is that real? That is crazy. I wish I could shoot like that.

It's real, but it wasn't that long of a shot - <100 yards, if I remember correctly - and they had very nice gear to do it with.

Wherryj
10-28-2010, 4:35 PM
It's real, but it wasn't that long of a shot - <100 yards, if I remember correctly - and they had very nice gear to do it with.

That and the guy was creating a dangerous situation for everyone within range of his handgun. He was waving it around and ignored repeated requests to drop the weapon. He was asking for his girlfriend to be brought to the scene, purportedly to have her watch, but who knows if it was to take her out.

If the sniper had missed, hitting the perp, it would probably have been considered the next best outcome. It sure beats the perp firing a shot into the air, killing a 3 month old sleeping in her crib in the apartment complex down the street.

N6ATF
10-28-2010, 5:44 PM
They forgot to mention that as he tried to escape in his vehicle, the officer then shot the keys from the ignition... followed by her tossing a pair of handcuffs into the air, shooting them at the high point of their arch, so they would both land and lock closed on the suspect's wrist & the car's steering wheel allowing her to finish her salon visit before having to further deal with the criminal.

:p

Win

HondaMasterTech
10-28-2010, 7:19 PM
The officer did not want to be held criminally liable for killing a gunman. Her descision to disarm the gunman with pinpoint accuracy is what should be expected of all law enforcement officials. :rolleyes:

And, since she had disarmed the gunman with her superior ability, she had plenty of time to remove the door knob with another graceful shot which kept the gunman from immediately retreating. She is a hero.

I wonder where the other 3 shots landed. Probably shot a nail in the road with one of them to keep it from causing a flat tire. What a hero. :rolleyes:

Anchors
10-30-2010, 12:33 AM
I freaking laughed out loud and just woke up my wife, thanks alot!

Haha anytime man.

That and the guy was creating a dangerous situation for everyone within range of his handgun. He was waving it around and ignored repeated requests to drop the weapon. He was asking for his girlfriend to be brought to the scene, purportedly to have her watch, but who knows if it was to take her out.

If the sniper had missed, hitting the perp, it would probably have been considered the next best outcome. It sure beats the perp firing a shot into the air, killing a 3 month old sleeping in her crib in the apartment complex down the street.

Oh I wasn't debating the ethical implications.
They could have thrown a grenade at him for all I care. haha.