PDA

View Full Version : Setting up network for restaurant...help with router/switch/hub

ty423
10-27-2010, 5:44 PM
Setting up a POS system in a restaurant. There will be 3 desktop computers using ethernet connection and the rest will be personal computers which will connect wirelessly for internet. The register computer will have 1 printer and cash drawer. The other 2 computer are soley for putting in orders or modifying orders so I don't think I will be attaching printers for these. I will also have 2 ethernet printers...one for kitchen and one for the bar. I also have a DVR security system that connects via ethernet. I think I'll need a total of 6 ethernet connection for my network. I've looked on best buy and seems they are all 4port. How should I go about with this? BTW I want to connect to the internet through all the computers.

Right now I have no POS system but I have a wireless router that connects a bunch of my employees laptops and mine via wireless and one ethernet connection for my security DVR system.

the_natterjack
10-27-2010, 5:55 PM
Get a 4 port router with wireless and firewall, buy an 8 port switch for about $45, connect the switch to any one of the ports with a network cable, call it a day

Please don't shop at Best Buy.

Brian

us.marshal
10-27-2010, 6:44 PM
Get a 4 port router with wireless and firewall, buy an 8 port switch for about $45, connect the switch to any one of the ports with a network cable, call it a day

Please don't shop at Best Buy.

Brian

+1 Might be a good idea to go gigabit all the way around too.

the_natterjack
10-27-2010, 7:07 PM
+1 Might be a good idea to go gigabit all the way around too.

+1 Absolutely, should of mentioned that. Thank you!

2Bear
10-27-2010, 7:26 PM
Heh. I still read the Point-Of-Sale, (POS), abbreviation as "piece of sXXX"...

Which makes this funny:

Setting up a POS system in a restaurant.

Typical install.

:D

Ricky-Ray
10-28-2010, 12:30 AM
Yep, 4 port router and an 8 port switch and your good to go. Buy.com, Newegg.com, Fry's Electronic's are just a few places that will sell them.

I personally don't see the need to go gigabit for a restaurant POS system, I would just stay with regular 10/100 connections and save some money. For the amount of data traffic that's going to be going thru your network for the restaurant orders 10/100 is more than capable of handling it.

freonr22
10-28-2010, 12:33 AM
whats the cost difference between the 2?

howellsg
10-28-2010, 4:35 PM
I did a quick check on NewEgg.com, and well a 4 port gigabit router will cost from $90 on the low end to $150 for a small business class router and an 8 port gigbit switch $60 up to $400. For a 10/100 router $20 up to $125 and for the switch $15 - $125.

Either way you should be able to find a decent router & switch and cables to connect them for under $500. Again these are small business class routers and switches, no need to go outside of that price range. Ideally you could do it for two to three hundred bucks.

bigpappa0095
10-28-2010, 7:21 PM
don't forget to encrypt your wireless network and to change the default password for the router's admin account ;)