PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Fire Arms Laws?

one
10-27-2010, 5:29 PM
I want to ship a stripped lower to Northern California. What are the steps I need to take in order to do it? Some say I have to ship from FFL to FFL, others say just send straight to the guys FFL. What type of paperwork do I need to fill out?

Thank you in advance.

paul0660
10-27-2010, 5:40 PM
If the other guys ffl is ok with it, you can ship it right to the ffl, and you can send it in the mail. No paperwork.

one
10-27-2010, 5:53 PM
how does that work? What do I have as proof? Say buyer gets it, assembles an AR and goes ballistic. They see registration is under my name, come to me, what proof do I have besides my word saying I shipped it to sell it? Does the FFL provide me with anything?

edwardm
10-27-2010, 6:08 PM
The buyer's FFL would have the DROS and the 4473 showing who received the lower.

how does that work? What do I have as proof? Say buyer gets it, assembles an AR and goes ballistic. They see registration is under my name, come to me, what proof do I have besides my word saying I shipped it to sell it? Does the FFL provide me with anything?

paul0660
10-27-2010, 6:16 PM
long guns are not registered at a central facility. There is a paper trail at each transfer at the FFL's location.

Anyway, even if the buyer goes nuts, you didn't do anything wrong.

paul0660
10-27-2010, 6:29 PM
You should get the FFL's name, address, and number, and you can check of the validity of the number here:

https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Only mail the lower to the address on the license.

one
10-28-2010, 1:01 AM
Thank you Ed and Paul, I think that clears it up. Learning every day... the gun laws are unending.