View Full Version : AK Wood set

10-27-2010, 4:27 PM
A retail shop was selling a AK wood set for 9.99. I bought a set and figured I would redo the wood by sanding it and staining it. The stain on it now it pretty beat. I want to finish it like it was at one time. Keeping the original color like it was at one time. Has anyone done this? If so can you post pics and the color of stain used?

10-27-2010, 4:37 PM

10-27-2010, 6:26 PM
Here, this should help.

10-27-2010, 7:51 PM
If you want to do it how it was done at the factory, shellac is the only proper finish. Button lac is the closest available grade to what was used. It's easy to apply, easy to touch up and can be done as rough or as fine as you like. You can matte it up with some bronze wool, or you can polish it out with oil like fine furniture. You can apply a couple of thin coats or get it as thick and sloppy as you like, they used to make picture frames out of the stuff.

It's where the color comes from too, there is no stain applied to the wood in the factory.

Peter W Bush
10-27-2010, 8:06 PM
Where'd you get the set for $10? I need some!

10-30-2010, 7:02 PM
Copes had em, it was a one time deal. I called and tried to get more. She said never again and that they sold within the first hour. I guess I got lucky.
Well I got them stripped and put some red stain on them. Man they look NICE! I have some autobody clear that Im thinking about finishing them off with.