PDA

View Full Version : Serail Number 80% Lower ? ?

hylander
10-27-2010, 4:20 PM
I'm sure this has been asked and answered already, but can't find it.
After an 80% has been completed, do you have to serial number it ?

ke6guj
10-27-2010, 4:28 PM
there is no federal or state requirement that you mark a homebuilt firearm (unless you sell it and then ATF has taken the position that you must mark it with your name, city, state, serial #, even though the law says that it only applies to licensed manufacturers)

Noobert
10-27-2010, 4:53 PM
No need

Jeepeater
10-30-2010, 7:57 PM
If the 80%/homebuilt lower has no markings, how do you register the firearm?

i1800collect
10-30-2010, 8:03 PM
If the 80%/homebuilt lower has no markings, how do you register the firearm?

You don't.

sleepur606
10-30-2010, 8:18 PM
You don't.

Correct

To my knowledge, there is no legal requirement to register any firearm built off an 80% receiver. However, if you build a pistol from one, you CAN, but do not HAVE to, register it as a pistol in your name. This is not, however, a requirement and is only for keeping track of handguns.

If you decide to sell the gun in the future, I believe you need to mark it, but I am not sure of the particulars for marking; i.e., I do not know which items might be required to be included in the markings, serial number, place of manufacture, etc.

1911su16b870
10-30-2010, 8:28 PM
How many home build 80% receivers are you allowed to complete?

ke6guj
10-30-2010, 8:29 PM
there is no limit.

Jeepeater
10-31-2010, 10:59 AM
You don't.

I have no problem with that and I think it would be fun to build another AR. But an unregistered gun that looks like a 'bad' gun seems like it would bring all sorts of unwanted attention to me.

For example, a few friends and I enjoy shooting up in the hills. It's rare that we run across anyone. On the off chance that a ranger came by and I've got what appears to be an illegal weapon in my hands, I see bad things happening. With no numbers/markings, maybe they would suspect that info was filed off. Unless they are enthusiasts, I have a very bad feeling about getting my guns back or having legal trouble.

Or am I over thinking this and making an issue out of nothing?

MrPlink
10-31-2010, 11:44 AM
Well, if its a long gun ie rifle, nothing to worry about at all because save for RAWs there is no rifle registration.

CSACANNONEER
10-31-2010, 11:58 AM
I have no problem with that and I think it would be fun to build another AR. But an unregistered gun that looks like a 'bad' gun seems like it would bring all sorts of unwanted attention to me.

For example, a few friends and I enjoy shooting up in the hills. It's rare that we run across anyone. On the off chance that a ranger came by and I've got what appears to be an illegal weapon in my hands, I see bad things happening. With no numbers/markings, maybe they would suspect that info was filed off. Unless they are enthusiasts, I have a very bad feeling about getting my guns back or having legal trouble.

Or am I over thinking this and making an issue out of nothing?

That's your call. Of course, you realize that, except for RAWs and those who have filled out voluntary registration forms, long guns are not registered in California at all. So, your OLL rifle isn't registered. Also, you can always do a voluntay registration form and put "none" as the SN. There are millions of long guns in the country without SNs. They were made and sold that way until 1968. BTW, there are also many Ca legal homebuilt handguns without any registration or markings on them. In the end, it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Jeepeater
10-31-2010, 1:20 PM
I thought that all firearm purchases were registered. Long guns aren't registered? I'm not in a database somewhere as owning XY and Z pistols, rifles, OLLs and shotguns?? :confused:

I've learned something new today.

Capt_Communist
10-31-2010, 1:34 PM
Technically they aren't registered....

When you DROS a long gun you are only doing a background check witht he state of California.

They can however track down who ownes the firearm with relative ease... If they get a hold of a serial number (however it gets done) they can call the manufacturer, who will tell them who it was sent to, who will provide copies of the 4473 which lists your name and make/model of the gun

CSACANNONEER
10-31-2010, 1:53 PM
I thought that all firearm purchases were registered. Long guns aren't registered? I'm not in a database somewhere as owning XY and Z pistols, rifles, OLLs and shotguns?? :confused:

I've learned something new today.

Long guns are DROSed and all that California knows is that you purchased a "long gun", nothing more than that. If you purchase a firearm from any FFL in the United States, you will fill out a 4473 which stays at that FFL for a certain amount of time.

Technically they aren't registered....

When you DROS a long gun you are only doing a background check witht he state of California.

They can however track down who ownes the firearm with relative ease... If they get a hold of a serial number (however it gets done) they can call the manufacturer, who will tell them who it was sent to, who will provide copies of the 4473 which lists your name and make/model of the gun

They can only track certain guns so far. It's really hard for them to track used guns since, they have to track down the original FFL, the original owner, the next person or FFL the gun was sold to and so on. Many times, the trail goes cold after a death or a FFL who has either closed or their records were destroyed by a natural disaster (think Katrina!). Good FFLs only allow LEOs to look through their books during audits. Otherwise, they only provide LEOs the paperwork that is listed on the warant. I've heard of LEOs taking weeks traveling back and forth across the county to track one firearm. Only to find out that it was sold FTF at a garage sale, through a newspaper add, etc. It's not always "relatively easy".