PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Shooter on the Android OS?

captbilly
10-27-2010, 4:58 PM
I bought my very first Android app a few weeks ago and it looks great so far. I am writing about "Shooter" for Android, and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with it. I have read numerous reviews and they were almost all extremely positive but maybe some of you serious long range shooters would have some thoughts. The program runs on my EVO 4G but will also work on any Android device with Android V2.0 or above (I could be wrong about what version it requires). It allows you to store profiles for as many guns and bullets as you want. It calculates spin drift, Coriolis drift, drop and wind drift, as well as giving the proper lead for moving targets. It uses the local weather of the nearest weather station, or if you have a Bluetooth Kestrel weather meter it will use that data. It will also use the accelerometers and magnetometers in the Android device to calculate the barrel tilt and magnetic (or true) heading of the barrel (to use in Coriolis drift calcs and to use the wind data). You can download a simple version of the app fro free or pay a whopping $10 for the full program. Updates are free forever, and the developer has already released several.

Anyway before I come off like an advertisement for the guy (who I don't even know), I was wondering if anyone else had tried this and, even better, could compare it to something else they have used.

If you want to look at it you can search the Android Market for ballistics or Shooter. I think you can also get to the developer's website by searching for Android app Shooter or ballistics calculator.

Darklyte27
10-27-2010, 6:15 PM
link the app, or scan it.

captbilly
10-27-2010, 6:24 PM
http://sean.kndy.net/shooter/

I am finding reviews for this app everywhere when I do a search. There is a discussion on Long Range Shooter.com, and several other forums.

Darklyte27
10-27-2010, 6:34 PM
i dont see the simple free version, just the 10$ and add ons

jtv3062
10-27-2010, 7:17 PM
The guy who wrote the program is a member at snipershide. I bought it and I'm collecting the data for the rifles that I have. I like that you can store your data online not having to worry about my EVO crashing and losing all of my data.

ze12o
10-28-2010, 3:10 PM
Such nerdy gunners :)
Im one the droid. Thanks foright the headsup one this apps. Haha

Peter.Steele
10-28-2010, 3:45 PM
I'm an iPhone guy ... I have Ballistic FTE. Would love to have the cloud storage, though.

This is the first thing I've heard about - ever - that makes me wish I'd gone Android. :P

jtv3062
10-28-2010, 5:44 PM
Also this guy is always doing updates, which shows he's always adding and improving this program

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-28-2010, 5:47 PM
freaking a. need a new phone and was looking at the droid, but didnt think i would need all the apps. may have to try it on my gf brother phone and see what its like.

Darklyte27
10-28-2010, 6:11 PM
Evo, you will not regret it

jtv3062
10-28-2010, 6:28 PM
I'll second that. EVO ftw

DirtRacer151
10-28-2010, 6:53 PM
I have it on my Droid X. It is spot on. I rarely use my log book anymore. Data is good with my 260 out to 1200yds. Its the most used program on my phone and Sean is constantly making it better!

rksimple
10-28-2010, 8:15 PM
It was my first purchase in the Android Market. Well worth it. That's all I use now at matches and out in the field.

Hump0311
10-29-2010, 4:18 PM
I have an Evo and will be getting this app. But if you all are thinking about going droid look at the Epic.. it's a little newer than my evo has a full keyboard takes panoramic pictures and has better resolution.. I still like my evo just wish i had waited the extra month or so..

Thanks for posting about this app. I have been looking for something like it I have a friend who is a PMI coach who will love this app.

Juice5610
10-29-2010, 4:49 PM
It was my first purchase in the Android Market. Well worth it. That's all I use now at matches and out in the field.

This it is awesome!

mattmcg
10-29-2010, 4:54 PM
I have an HTC EVO and have been using this app on my phone since I got it. I also communicate with Sean regularly about feedback, bugs, and suggestions for improvements. I have no dog in this program aside from interest in improving the tool for my own personal long range shooting.

I also have a ton of experience using this in the field across 4 rifles and shooting them all out to 1K yards.

The one thing I can say is that for $10, this is equivalent to some of the field firing solutions that costs thousands. The ballistics engine was modeled after JBM and assisted by Bryan Litz (chief ballistician for Berger bullets which also uses this app).

It is a stellar app and with a few suggestions that Sean is currently working on, only going to get better. For $10 bucks its a steal.

If you have questions, fire away and I'll answer them. I used pretty much all the elements including bluetooth linkage to my Kestrel to gain local atmospherics within seconds.