PDA

View Full Version : tactical machining 308 lower, now what?

cabinetguy
10-27-2010, 3:11 PM
so i took the bite on the blemished 308 lowers, 129 plus shipping, so what should i do now? im thinking a precision build. any suggestions? im looking into the 9 month timeline. im not too sure about the company, but the price was too much for me to not pass up.

Jpach
10-27-2010, 3:56 PM
I say go with a 16" barrel. That way you have a gun thats light enough to carry around but still can shoot out to most practical distances. I shot my 16" LMT 308 out to 700 with no problems.

cabinetguy
10-27-2010, 4:45 PM
sorry, ghost post

qaz5109
10-27-2010, 6:01 PM
I bought my 20" Titan side charger upper couple months back and am planning on going prs Harris dpms ergo grip Burris eliminator

cabinetguy
10-29-2010, 11:41 AM
i talked to tactical machining, they say it works with dpms uppers, but no guarantees with other companies. it seems to me that any dpms based upper should work, but im not sure. the fulton m-110 looks nice but....

madd556
10-29-2010, 12:43 PM
Dpms had a couple of bull barreled uppers on sale. $632 for 18" and $555 for a 24".

Don Nguyen
10-29-2010, 12:47 PM
These are the uppers that are for sale on DPMS's site right now:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5994&cat=1951

Does anyone have any reviews/feedback on them? If they're GTG at that price, then I'll pick one up, but if one can be bought/built for only slightly more, with better performance, I may opt to just hold out for th emean time.

-Don

Nathan Krynn
10-29-2010, 2:24 PM
As Cabinetguy said I can't guarantee any other company's upper will work. We have only tried DPMS. However DPMS uppers fit tighter to our lower then theirs :).

What to build? I have a light weight custom 16 and will soon make that into a 14.5 pined and welded (just to do). I also have a custom 20" that I tuned that recoils lighter then a .223 but weighs more then my 2005 Ford Escape. Both have their uses.

You could go 260 Remington or 243 Winchester for something different.

You can build your self or buy a complete upper and have seen wonderful rifles either way. I can say I know who has been making DPMS's .308 barrels and they are way nicer then what most people give DPMS credit for.

cabinetguy
11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
im definitely going for the 308 route, i have too much of it lying around. im currently thinking a dpms mk 18 upper, just because i dont think i can build one for less than $950 i found online once i figure upper, bolt group, barrel etc. i do like the DD rail attachment, looks very secure, but ive been reading horrible things about height of the dpms a3 upper rails. i did however see some replies by dpms on their forum addressing the issue, apparently they will correct the problem under warranty, but i dunno. i have lots of time for the build, so im just doing homework now

MrNiceGuy
11-01-2010, 1:13 PM
Ain't Tactical Machining coming out with a 308 upper which will be compatible with their 308 lower soon?

Nathan Krynn
11-01-2010, 2:12 PM
Yes we are prototyping uppers for the .308 among a few other new products. I thought they would be done by now but this type of thing is hard to estimate a time frame of when it will be ready for market.

I will say ours will have the correct rail height. But I do not know if they will be ready this month, next or beginning of next year.

thrillhouse700
11-01-2010, 2:16 PM
Yes we are prototyping uppers for the .308 among a few other new products. I thought they would be done by now but this type of thing is hard to estimate a time frame of when it will be ready for market.

I will say ours will have the correct rail height. But I do not know if they will be ready this month, next or beginning of next year.

OOOoooo I like the sounds of that. Any idea of price point? Seeing as how your Lower is very popular and has a great price I don't see a "Hitler finds out how much Nathan's .308 costs" you tube vid right?

I have been saving my money for MONTHS and can only afford a saiga so maybe by next year I will be able to FINALLY grab me a 308 AR.

thrillhouse700
11-01-2010, 2:18 PM
Where are these blemished lowers btw? All sold out?

Nathan Krynn
11-01-2010, 2:23 PM
They sold out in about 42hrs. Literally they were not for sale for a full two days.

thrillhouse700
11-01-2010, 2:27 PM
They sold out in about 42hrs. Literally they were not for sale for a full two days.

No offense but thank god cuz my credit card can't take it anymore. :)

IEShooter
11-01-2010, 4:06 PM
Recently completed a .308 build here too. I went with a POF lower and a Fulton Armory, Titan Lite upper (18" barrell), with side charger w/handle.

Even as a lefty, I really like the side charging handle. Most of the cases eject at 3 o'clock or so. After 100+ rounds through it, only one or two have come back and glanced off my hat or right shoulder.

Rifle is crazy accurate right out of the box, even with the standar trigger group out of the DPMS lower parts kit.

Rifle is definitely not light at 11 pounds, but I went with a UBR stock, which weighs over a pound more than a typical stock.

I tend to shoot off the bench at my local range so the weight isn't an issue for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Regards,

John

VaderSpade
11-01-2010, 5:23 PM
I just finished a fairly lite .308 build using one of these kaiserworks barrels.
http://thekaiserworks.com/products/firearm_parts.php and a DPMS stripped upper.
So far I like it; I’ve been trying to find a load it likes. So far I have found two loads that shoot about 1 moa. Good enough for what I built to rifle for which is a short range brush gun. I have a .260 Remington upper for the long range stuff. I filled both my deer tags with it this year. That upper will put five shots in one big hole.