PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento CCW APPT Wait time....

Cbr1000Rider
10-27-2010, 1:53 PM
Hey all,

Just got my appt set in a while ago, problem is it isnt until next year.

Is this even legal to make me wait this long? Any one else have the same issue? I understand they have a back log.. but I mean wow.. won't a new sheriff be in by that point? Can he overturn the McGinness decision so my next year appt with my "self defense" good cause statement is no longer valid?
:chris:

dantodd
10-27-2010, 1:57 PM
Yes, there are some issues with permits taking a while to process right now. (They are getting swamped with applications) They have 90 days from the time of accepting your app to approve/deny you.

The sheriff's office is working on increasing staff to deal with the influx. Don't worry about the next sheriff changing the policy. CGF has a written agreement from the sheriff's department and both candidates have been falling over themselves to be the most "ccw friendly" candidate.

If any of this were to change CGF will be there with the big stick.

Cbr1000Rider
10-27-2010, 2:00 PM
lol so you saying they are giving me till next year for my appt, then once I have that appt, they have 90 days? yikes! my Nevada CCW applixation was not this time consuming! I don't mind the paperwork or range classes or anything, but the time is killer! Thanks mate

jcardona1
10-27-2010, 2:45 PM
Just made my appointment today as well, 1/20/11!!

wildhawker
10-27-2010, 2:51 PM
I expect that things will continue to speed up after the election.

Gray Peterson
10-27-2010, 3:00 PM
Hey all,

Is this even legal to make me wait this long? Any one else have the same issue? I understand they have a back log.. but I mean wow.. won't a new sheriff be in by that point? Can he overturn the McGinness decision so my next year appt with my "self defense" good cause statement is no longer valid?

You mean can he reverse the decision to allow "self defense"? The answer (with either Jones or Cooper) is no.

-Gray

tiko
10-27-2010, 9:33 PM
I got appointment today for FEB 3-2011, that is the earliest date.

negolien
10-28-2010, 12:02 AM
Sounds absurd to me to have to wait 6 months to turn in an application and $20. If I were a conspiracy minded person I'd call shenanigans.

77bawls
10-28-2010, 12:17 AM
I'm sure there is another 100 or 200 threads but what is the process? Application? training? fees? any specific order?

wildhawker
10-28-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm sure there is another 100 or 200 threads but what is the process? Application? training? fees? any specific order?

http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/122-sacramento

Bret Daniels
10-28-2010, 9:19 PM
Hopefully we will soon see automation brought into the process including an online application, credit card payment, education, etc, training that is more realistic and available through the Sheriff's Dept, and a reduction in fees so that those wishing to exercise their rights are not prevented by a lack of disposable income. The process shouldn't be stalled but we are definitely in a much better place than ever before. One thing I really look forward to is the greater public education about the victory we have achieved and then the corresponding reduction in crime when the bad guy doesn't know if grandma is packing at the ATM.

obeygiant
10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey all,

Just made my appointment today as well, 1/20/11!!

I expect that things will continue to speed up after the election.

I realize that having to wait that long is frustrating but I can't help but smile in this particular case as we have a county that was "May Issue" and is now "Shall Issue". :43:

IrishPirate
10-28-2010, 10:33 PM
just more time to practice!!! Gonna go through the ringer here in Placer pretty soon......:party:

Lateralus
10-29-2010, 12:18 AM
Spend your time smiling; the process is winnable now. Before now, you could not obtain a CCW. Now, the only requirement is to hang out for a while. Things are looking up for CA again.

Andy Taylor
10-29-2010, 6:46 AM
I have an appt on Feb 10. Is this frustrating? Sure it is. However, we must remember that the system that is currently in place was designed to discourage people from applying and therefore handle very few applicants. It was not designed to be efficiant. If Cooper gets elected I have faith that the process will be streamlined. If Jones is elected we will still be "shall issue" but I suspect we will continue to be sadled with the same crappy process. I could be wrong though.

thebronze
10-29-2010, 8:12 AM
I have an appt on Feb 10. Is this frustrating? Sure it is. However, we must remember that the system that is currently in place was designed to discourage people from applying and therefore handle very few applicants. It was not designed to be efficiant. If Cooper gets elected I have faith that the process will be streamlined. If Jones is elected we will still be "shall issue" but I suspect we will continue to be sadled with the same crappy process. I could be wrong though.

I don't think you are...

jb7706
10-29-2010, 8:24 AM
I'm so glad I got in when I did. I was irked about waiting 3 1/2 weeks...

not-fishing
10-29-2010, 8:54 AM
Wow it sounds like the process has turned into a 6 - 8 month time period.

From appointment request (via e-mail) to Sheriff response will be about 10 weeks.

I guess I was lucky.

Kharn
10-29-2010, 8:57 AM
1. Registered mail application package to sheriff, signature required.
2. Wait statutory 90 days
3. File suit.
4. ????
5. Profit.

Wildeman_13
10-29-2010, 9:05 AM
While I sit waiting for my county to even allow me to get a CCW (Santa Clara), I would like to point out that this wait is a good thing. Not because it means people are having to wait for them, but because the longer this wait is, the more likely they will realize that this is wasting their time as well. Maybe... just maybe the next Sheriff will start accepting them without even doing a face to face interview.
Plus, if something were to happen to someone waiting for their interview, this might give us more ammo to shut down this time wasting practice altogether. Not that I want anything bad to happen to you guys up there, of course.
Yeah, yeah... i'm an optimist. :D

surfinguru
10-29-2010, 10:01 AM
To all those Sac County people moaning about the wait? Really?? At least you are able to start the process. There are still ALOT of us out here that will have to wait even longer. So please, stop the whining already and revel in the fact you are now able to use the simple phrase, "self-defense" to get your permit.

thebronze
10-29-2010, 10:06 AM
To all those Sac County people moaning about the wait? Really?? At least you are able to start the process. There are still ALOT of us out here that will have to wait even longer. So please, stop the whining already and revel in the fact you are now able to use the simple phrase, "self-defense" to get your permit.

EXCELLENT point.

BusBoy
10-29-2010, 10:13 AM

Amen!!

Gray Peterson
10-29-2010, 10:19 AM

A few things:

1) Hitting Sacramento County with a writ of mandate to have them process apps within 90 days is a waste of time and money at this current time. Sheriff McGinness will be out in 2 months. Cooper has made statements that he would automate the process (making it much faster), and Jones has been making some statements that aren't directly on point. They both know that McGinness process is in state violation, but they can't really do anything about it until they sit in the sheriff's chair.

2) I really have to agree with the above. I really dislike sheriff's breaking the law as much as anyone, but the cost/benefit ratio given Sheriff McGinness' exit in two months makes no sense. I'd rather work with the next sheriff (whoever that might be) to create a policy and process and get it running the day that either one of them takes office.

3) Think of your brothers and sisters in other counties who are not so lucky to live in such a county. If this continues beyond February, it's time to take out the pitchforks and torches.

Romanski
10-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Does one have to reside in Sacramento county to apply for CCW there? Sorry if this has been answered already.

Gray Peterson
10-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Does one have to reside in Sacramento county to apply for CCW there? Sorry if this has been answered already.

Yes, except for 90 day licenses (which are expensive and only valid in the county of issuance, not worth it). This will not change until litigation is filed (see my sig about Peterson v. LaCabe)

Romanski
10-29-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks Gray. I was hoping I could apply in Sacramento. I've been reading about obtaining a CA CCW but I reside in Contra Costa and I hear it's next to impossible to get it here.

Gray Peterson
10-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Gray. I was hoping I could apply in Sacramento. I've been reading about obtaining a CA CCW but I reside in Contra Costa and I hear it's next to impossible to get it here.

Romanski,

If you want to make it not impossible for everyone (to much consternation of sheriff rupf), please volunteer and also sponsor contra costa county for our initiative.