View Full Version : another c&r process question

06-12-2006, 7:57 PM
First off, hello everyone. I've been lurking for a while and just joined now joined. Here's my question:

Because of my work, I travel frequently to various parts of the state where I stay for a few months. I'm young and w/o kids, so I generally will find a new appartment wherever the new assignment is and rent it for the duration of the contract. The result is that I have no real permanant address. Banks and cell phone companies are generally rather agreeable about the frequent changes, but for others (government, magazines, associations) I use my sister's address. I also store things at her house, but generally I'm only there a few days per year. Would it be possible (legal, advisable, etc) to list her address on my C&R license? She's a responsible adult with no children, and I'm not concerned about any safety issues, but because of this board I really want to get in on the Garand action before the supply runs dry.

Mssr. Eleganté
06-12-2006, 8:24 PM
It would be perfectly legal for you to list your sister's address as your licensed premises for a C&R FFL, but it might cause some problems for a couple of reasons.

First, you would have to get back to her house any time you needed to log any purchases into your bound book. Any mail order C&R firearm purchases would get shipped to her house and you would only have 5 days to get there and log them.

Secondly, you would need to get to her house on short notice if you ever got an inspection by ATF.

It might be more trouble than it's worth.

06-12-2006, 8:41 PM
Secondly, you would need to get to her house on short notice if you ever got an inspection by ATF.

You can actually TELL the batfe that you would like the inspection of your bound book done at their office. It's not required to verify your paperwork at your licensed premesis. www.batfe.gov (http://www.atf.treas.gov/)will get you some more info;)


Mssr. Eleganté
06-12-2006, 8:55 PM
Yeah, I know that, but he would still have to get to her place to pick up his bound book and guns and then take them to the ATF office local to her house.

So my statement wasn't wrong.

06-12-2006, 9:25 PM
I can't think of any way you could do it without a permanent place to store your collection. Maybe a storage locker could be your official premises? And a post office box for a perm. mailing address (mail would need to be forwarded from there to wherever you are). Maybe if you stayed in place for a year at a time you could just get an amended license every year but I don't think it would work if you moved every few months.

Call the licensing center. Tell the person that answers the phone what you need to know, then ask for a supervisor. Leave a message and he/she will call you back in a day or two. Or search the website? Basically if you can get away with a storage locker as your premises you might be ok. But you would still need to get there for inspection. The C&R is totally worth it if you like old guns that shoot good and maybe look nice. Good luck

06-13-2006, 12:58 PM
.........I really want to get in on the Garand action before the supply runs dry.

You do not need a C&R to buy a Garand directly from CMP. You only need to show USA citizenship, be 18 yrs old, make one trip to a range to shoot a few rounds and have the ranger person sign off on such (CMP provides the forms but there are even exemptions to this requirement) and belong to a club such as Garand Collectors Assoc ($25) or CRPA ($18). Then just fill out the necessary signature forms with payment and the rifle will be sent directly to the address you put on the form. No FFL dealers are involved at all. I believe that you can get up to 6 rifles a year this way.