PDA

View Full Version : sending ruger out of state for repair

captn-tin
10-27-2010, 1:31 PM
did a search, couldn't find. i want to send my ruger sa to clements in virginia for some custom work. can i send and recieve this thru fedx or ups, or does it have to be sent and recieved thru a ffl dealer?

ke6guj
10-27-2010, 1:39 PM
you can send it direct to a gunsmith, and receive it directly back from the gunsmith, no FFL dealer needed on your side. The gunsmth has an FFL and that is all that is required.

captn-tin
10-27-2010, 1:59 PM
Thanks much ke6guj. any thoughts on best carrier to use for shipping? Thanks again.

Rugerdaddy
10-27-2010, 2:23 PM
Thanks much ke6guj. any thoughts on best carrier to use for shipping? Thanks again.

A few years ago I sent a Mini 14 to Oregon for some work and found UPS was the best. I took it to their Sacramento Dist. Center (you can't drop a firearm off at a UPS Store, but they can tell you where the Dist. Center is near you.) The gun has to be in a non-firing configuration- just take the slide off, for example. No ammo, of course. Do not write "firearm" or anything on the outside that will identify it as a weapon.

When I got to the UPS center a suspervisor who knew what was going on simply checked to make sure everything was OK, and took the package. I seem to recall they had a form I had to fill out, too. Hope this gets you started.

ke6guj
10-27-2010, 2:25 PM
A few years ago I sent a Mini 14 to Oregon for some work and found UPS was the best. I took it to their Sacramento Dist. Center (you can't drop a firearm off at a UPS Store, but they can tell you where the Dist. Center is near you.) The gun has to be in a non-firing configuration- just take the slide off, for example. No ammo, of course. Do not write "firearm" or anything on the outside that will identify it as a weapon.
.this.

If the company is called Clements Custom Guns, address the box as just Clements, or CCG. The delivering UPS driver knows who he is, but there is no need to advertise to every otherh UPS employee that the package might contain a gun.

DannyInSoCal
10-27-2010, 2:31 PM
Also be sure the firearm meets CA requirements now - Someone else had an issue with S&W not returning property since it didnt meet the current regs...