PDA

View Full Version : how does a NV resident purchase a PP long gun in Ca

ta2dtrent
10-27-2010, 1:57 PM
My step dad lives in NV and found a rifle on Calguns he want to buy. He is comming down this weekend to take a look and possibly purchase. How do we do this legally ?

Ed_Hazard
10-27-2010, 2:00 PM
I'm guessing he could pay for the rifle here but it would most likely have to be an FFL to FFL transfer for him to take posession in Nevada. Ship from FFL here to FFL in Nevada , Nevada FFL does DROS.

yzernie
10-27-2010, 2:04 PM
I'm guessing he could pay for the rifle ]here but it would most likely have to be an FFL to FFL transfer for him to take posession in Nevada. Ship from FFL here to FFL in Nevada , Nevada FFL does DROS.
I would make sure the receiving FFL in Nv would receive from a private party...that would make it cheaper to ship it too.

As an out of state resident, he is prohibited from a PPT here in Ca.

Matt C
10-27-2010, 2:15 PM
Seller ships to buyers FFL in NV. If it's c&r he can just ship to buyer. ETA: Assuming the dad has/gets a C&R FFL of course.

As an out of state resident, he is prohibited from a PPT here in Ca.

Technically only as a buyer, but that's another issue.

Librarian
10-27-2010, 4:19 PM
My step dad lives in NV and found a rifle on Calguns he want to buy. He is comming down this weekend to take a look and possibly purchase. How do we do this legally ?

Rifle? Rifle should be easy. Feds say using an FFL, any otherwise eligible person can buy long guns in any state so long as the sale follows the laws in the states of residence of both buyer and seller. (See the wiki article (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate))

CA doesn't require CA residency for long gun sales, as it does for handgun sales.

Still would be an interstate sale, and FFL could charge for that.

Of course, Dad would have to come back to CA after the 10-day wait to pick up the rifle.

zinfull
10-27-2010, 5:52 PM
Why not you buy it and give to your dad. You could just mail it to him after 10 days.

jerry

Matt C
10-27-2010, 6:03 PM
Rifle? Rifle should be easy. Feds say using an FFL, any otherwise eligible person can buy long guns in any state so long as the sale follows the laws in the states of residence of both buyer and seller. (See the wiki article (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate))

CA doesn't require CA residency for long gun sales, as it does for handgun sales.

Still would be an interstate sale, and FFL could charge for that.

Of course, Dad would have to come back to CA after the 10-day wait to pick up the rifle.

I agree, but I don't think the DOJ DROS software allows for a buyer to have a non-ca DL or ID card, so I don't see how an FFL would be able to do it, unless they just put it on the books and didn't DROS, which would not follow the laws of CA.

Why not you buy it and give to your dad. You could just mail it to him after 10 days.

jerry

I'm not sure a step dad is a "parent" and that sounds like a a straw purchase.

zinfull
10-27-2010, 8:31 PM
Missed the step dad part. Agree with Blackwater ops He can buy it and have the seller send it to the step dad's ffl in NV. No need for the CA DOJ to get involved.
jerry

Mssr. Eleganté
10-27-2010, 11:29 PM
...If it's c&r he can just ship to buyer.

LOL WUT :p

Missed the step dad part...

Even if it was his father and not his step father the transfer would have to go through an FFL. One is a resident of California and the other is a resident of Nevada.

kemasa
10-28-2010, 9:20 AM
If it is a C&R and if the step father had a C&R FFL, then it could be shipped to him or picked up in person, but that is a lot of if's.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-28-2010, 8:31 PM
Also, if the firearm is a C&R rifle or C&R shotgun that is over 50 years old and the seller has a C&R FFL then the buyer can travel to California and pick up the gun at the C&R FFL's licensed premises.

But that is also a lot of ifs.

ta2dtrent
10-31-2010, 4:15 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. My question has been answered.