PDA

View Full Version : I need assistance on soldering

ty423
10-26-2010, 11:17 PM
I have a Seagate back up drive and I have a feeling the maid dropped it on the floor. It landed on the USB connection side while the cable was still in and it broke the usb connection to the board. I know this because when I put the USB cable in the usb connection just fell in and I can here it moving when I shake it. I opened it and found that the USB part had 4 solder mounts and some more solder for the actually data and power connection. I need this resoldered back and its super tiny little solder spots. Can anyone help? I can ship it to you too if that helps any. or if anyone can give me some tips... like what to buy at radio shack. I've done soldering before but not at this super tiny level.

gschoelles
10-27-2010, 6:19 AM
Easier to take the drive out and buy a new box to put it in. Hopefully the drive is ok

Oshiat
10-27-2010, 7:05 AM
I bought this one for a laptop drive.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3743049&Sku=ULT40243

The quality is exceptional and they come with everything you need. If your drive is one of the larger drives, you will need the 3.5" enclosure for a standard hard drive.

sevensix2x51
10-27-2010, 12:44 PM
When I do real small stuff, I use a real fine chisel tip, flux the connection, and get a little ball of solder on the iron itself. The little stuff heats up fast enough that you can touch the connection for a second or two and it will transfer to the connection. Make sure to get some wick, in case you bridge the points... I don't like the suckers, they seem clumsy to me...

Ps- you have a maid?? That's awesome! That would make things so much easier around the casa...

ty423
10-27-2010, 5:36 PM
bi-weekly maid. it used to be weekly but it was useless since there is hardly any foot traffic (no kids).

thanks guys I think I'll have to try this... this backup has all my pics and music and videos.

JDay
10-27-2010, 5:57 PM
Just take the enclosure apart, remove the drive then stick it in a new enclosure. They're not expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

badandy
10-28-2010, 4:03 AM
When I do real small stuff, I use a real fine chisel tip, flux the connection, and get a little ball of solder on the iron itself. The little stuff heats up fast enough that you can touch the connection for a second or two and it will transfer to the connection. Make sure to get some wick, in case you bridge the points... I don't like the suckers, they seem clumsy to me...

Ps- you have a maid?? That's awesome! That would make things so much easier around the casa...

This....