PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Disconnect

SideWinder11
10-26-2010, 9:25 PM
Two separate questions for you fella's.

If your handgun comes with a magazine disconnect do you legally need to keep it there or can it be removed?

Are the 4th Gen Glocks not for sale in CA because of the DOJ roster and the magazine disconnect?

Librarian
10-26-2010, 9:44 PM
It can be removed - the mag disconnect is required to get the handgun on the Roster, and must be there to be sold by an FFL to non-exempt buyers in CA. After that, all yours.

Don't recall about the Gen4 Glocks.

SideWinder11
10-26-2010, 9:48 PM
cool thanks for the info.

thread on a glock forum is saying the gen4's have not been apporved for sale in cali just when I wanted to pick up a g23

bwiese
10-26-2010, 9:53 PM
If your handgun comes with a magazine disconnect do you legally need to keep it there or can it be removed?

You can remove such devices (mag disco, LCI, etc.) Legally equivalent to caliber change, barrel length change, etc.

However, if that handgun was indeed currently Rostered, it now is not "in factory shape" and thus loses its Rostered status - meaning if you were to sell it, you could only sell it via PPT/consignment or to LEO, or to/thru an out of state FFL - no CA FFL would want it as a gun in inventory as it couldn't be resold to a Californian.

If you reinstalled an OEM factory part, and recovered the mag disconnect functionality (or whatever was removed/disabled) then the gun would be Rostered again and could be sold back into a CA FFL's inventory.

Are the 4th Gen Glocks not for sale in CA because of the DOJ roster and the magazine disconnect?

Gen4 Glocks are not Rostered. I am unsure if they've applied, been rejected, etc.

There is a chance they could somehow slide by, perhaps, on "appreciably similar design" to the prior guns. After all, the DOJ has let Glock slide by on gross differences btwn Gen 1, Gen 2 and Gen 3 without complaint or even acknowledgement that substantive differences exist.

Whether Glock has mag discos or not is a separate issue.

I believe Glock may have made mag disco guns for certain locales/depts. I know they've done manual safety variants for some depts - they use Glock 18-style slides with manual safety levers on them (unsure if decocker functionality exists, etc.)

I'd bet any intelligent gun company has the engineering down pat for such variations on their gun - LCI, mag disco, manual safety, decocker, etc - not just for legal compliance but to get large customer orders from various depts. This isn't rocket science.

SideWinder11
10-26-2010, 10:00 PM
^^^^^^^^^ great info thank you kindly Sir!

pinwheels
10-26-2010, 10:12 PM
IIRC, Glock Gen 4 failed (application was made) for two reasons - mag safety and loaded chamber indicator. :(

SideWinder11
10-26-2010, 10:37 PM
once again we in CA lose.....

bwiese
10-26-2010, 11:09 PM
once again we in CA lose.....

We'll get it fixed.

People are already bringing in various such nonRostered pistols - esp 1911s - using long barrels, blocked/locked filler mags, and the single-shot exemption.