PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon ACOG

Sikhawk
10-26-2010, 5:31 PM
Your thoughts? Bang for the buck? Best of the best? Let me and everyone know.

Mstnpete
10-26-2010, 5:32 PM
Works very well! Bang for the buck!
I have a TA31 Doc.

Bug Splat
10-26-2010, 5:34 PM
Sure is a lot of buck but they are nice. Glass is crystal clear and bright. They are proven and war tested. If you have the funds I highly recommend one.

dchang0
10-26-2010, 5:40 PM
Love mine. TA33 is currently the best model, in my opinion. Loooong eye relief and lightweight. The bad part is that it's only 3X. If it were 4X, it would be unbeatable as a general purpose combat optic. Yes, red dots are faster, but they are hard to use at range. Variable power scopes like the 1-4X are better, but they weigh a lot more and are much bulkier and usually have shorter eye relief.

!@#$
10-26-2010, 6:38 PM
they are very nice but retical wash out keeps me away. TA11 or TA33 are the ones to get. the 1x4 accupoint is very nice too.

Sikhawk
10-26-2010, 6:50 PM
I like the looks too, looks nice and concise on a black rifle

Mr_Monkeywrench
10-26-2010, 6:56 PM
I have the TA31 donut reticle and its one of the best sights Ive ever used. Sure its not perfect for really close shots, but its not impossible either. Use the BAC and you will be surprised how fast you can get on target in Close areas (speaking from playing living room rambo). For shots out to 100yrd + distance, its absolutely perfect!!

Mstnpete
10-26-2010, 6:58 PM
I'm very happy with Trijicon products.
Wether it's an Acog or Accupoints. Both will have the Bindon Aiming system and works well shooting 300 yards or at 5 yards.

Let me know if you would like to see some of my setups. I can pm you the pics.

Sikhawk
10-26-2010, 7:01 PM
sure i would love that, im thinking about getting one myself. gotta save up my dimes tho

NORCAL#1
10-26-2010, 7:10 PM
Trijicon ACOG 4x32 ECOS is what I got. I would definitely recommend it!

Casual_Shooter
10-26-2010, 7:16 PM
Works very well! Bang for the buck!
I have a TA31 Doc.

Ditto. Although I heard they are not offered in that configuration anymore.

Seems like the perfect optic to me. :)

Mstnpete
10-26-2010, 7:31 PM
Ditto. Although I heard they are not offered in that configuration anymore.

Seems like the perfect optic to me. :)

They probably gave all this particular model to the military.
Just speculating.

Mstnpete
10-26-2010, 7:38 PM
sure i would love that, im thinking about getting one myself. gotta save up my dimes tho

PM sent. I was very lucky, Trijicon used to have a program for competition shooters. If you signed up and basically represent Trijicon on all 3-Gun competitions using Trijicon products, we could buy the products at cost. Now due to bad economy, they pulled the program out. Good thing I was able to buy the products I wanted at cost.

NiteQwill
10-26-2010, 7:43 PM
Worth every greedy penny!
http://www.sk8ng.com/dusty/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/IMG_4963.JPG

PyroFox79
10-26-2010, 8:00 PM
*putting flame suit on*
I personally hate them. I used one in Iraq and I hated using it. I didn't like having my eye so close to the optic. Also they aren't very nice to glasses wearers. They are great optics, dont get me wrong, but i would much rather have a variable power leupold scope or something of that sort for much cheaper.

Boone
10-26-2010, 8:05 PM
I love my TA31 with doctor but I have to sell it. Great robust optics.

FeuerFrei
10-26-2010, 8:41 PM
I use TA11 (red) and TA33's (green).
They mount solidly and stay on zero.
BAC takes some practice but becomes like second nature after some range time.
Built like tank and no batts. I can afford to rebuild them in 10-12 years.
I like them.

rero360
10-26-2010, 9:56 PM
*putting flame suit on*
I personally hate them. I used one in Iraq and I hated using it. I didn't like having my eye so close to the optic. Also they aren't very nice to glasses wearers. They are great optics, dont get me wrong, but i would much rather have a variable power leupold scope or something of that sort for much cheaper.

No need for the flame suit lol, That is the only complaint I have with mine, the practically non exsistant eye relief, however given how soft shooting ARs are it makes it bearable. Theres no way I could handle an optic with such short eye relief on anything with heavier recoil.

If you like the Leupold's variables take a look at the USO SN-4S, its a true 1-4 scope with all the choices available normal to USO scopes. I was able to play with one a few weeks ago and I was highly impressed, I'd be almost willing to trade my ACOG for it, I'll probably just save up for it so I can have both. It has 3.5" of eye relief, plus the option of an illuminated reticle that allows you to still use the BAC and all that good stuff.

Jwood562
10-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I own a ta31f and use it for my patrol rifle. I love it and use it all distances from 7-600yards. best and most versatile optic out there especially when you dont have the time to use a variable optic. plus the warranty is outstanding

Seesm
10-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Can't wait till I have extra cash to get one... I wish I could try a few to figure which model is best for me.

keson
10-27-2010, 12:36 AM
They're great optics.

Casual_Shooter
10-27-2010, 7:14 AM
They probably gave all this particular model to the military.
Just speculating.

You could be correct. The story I heard was that "Doctor" is a separate company and cut ties with ACOG.

Also found this that appears to be it's replacement: TA31RMR

echoarms
10-27-2010, 7:17 AM
No need for the flame suit lol, That is the only complaint I have with mine, the practically non exsistant eye relief, however given how soft shooting ARs are it makes it bearable. Theres no way I could handle an optic with such short eye relief on anything with heavier recoil.

If you like the Leupold's variables take a look at the USO SN-4S, its a true 1-4 scope with all the choices available normal to USO scopes. I was able to play with one a few weeks ago and I was highly impressed, I'd be almost willing to trade my ACOG for it, I'll probably just save up for it so I can have both. It has 3.5" of eye relief, plus the option of an illuminated reticle that allows you to still use the BAC and all that good stuff.

This is exactly my setup. I have an ACOG on order, but I dont think it will ever replace my SN4. The USO scopes are brilliant. It seems like I can shoot my 1.5-6 like it was a 10 because you can see so clearly.

Bongos
10-27-2010, 7:29 AM
I've owned the TA01, TA33-9, & TA44. Of all, I still own the TA44. The others are nice, but I went over to the NightForce 2.8-10X w/Larue, it was no question, the NF was the way to go. COmpared to the older 4X ACOG, the weight is similar. the NF gives you the variable option as well as close up, recticle lite no no problems there. The question is.. do you want the tritnium (which last about 8-10 yrs though in darkness, it's barely visisble ot battery powered?

pacrimguru
10-27-2010, 8:11 AM
i love them. they're great depending on what distances you are shooting at. but being non-variable really makes them not usable me though.

1911su16b870
10-27-2010, 8:50 AM
I am on my second one, I really, really like the TA33 with green horseshoe reticle.

TacticalChihuahua
10-27-2010, 9:12 AM
aimpoint micro with the 3x flip over magnifier is a little more buck but a lot more bang IMO

WW2Buff
10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
I have a TA31TRD and had a TA01. Great scopes,but if I had to do it again I would definitely go with a TA11. That model will be my next for sure. I've had great luck with mine out to about four hundred yards. I haven't had the chance yet to shoot farther with it. Soon though. In short, get one! You won't be disappointed. :D

rero360
10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
I have the TA31 RCO M4, mounted on my issued M4 I've been able to shoot out to 500 with it, mounted on my 20" RRA I've hit steel out to 600, shooting 55gr. surplus, not good enough accuracy at distance to hunt with, but good enough for combat. But thats the point of the optic, being able to quickly get lead flying at the bad guys, and it does that very well, I can put all my rounds into a man sized target at distance all day long. Now for better accuracy than that, one would want a different choice in optics.

Camsnappersc
10-27-2010, 10:23 AM
I have a TA-31, but would prefer the Ta-33.

Stockton
10-27-2010, 10:35 AM
I run the TA33-8 only because the eye relief is the best. You don't have to be "in" the optic like the others. The only problem now is that I don't shoot my ar15 that much anymore so it don't get used.

tacticalcity
10-27-2010, 10:41 AM
I used to be a huge fan, not so much any more.

For a range whore rifle they come up short in the power of magnification. For a run and gun CQB rifle they have too much magnification. There is a narrow window there where they are ideal, but it is too narrow for my tastes.

For my range whore Seal Recon Clone I prefer a variable power scope. Price vs. Value I opt for a Leupold Mark 4 3.5x10x40 IR tactical scope. For how I actually use the rifle it is a perfect fit. I'm not trying to run and gun with it, though if I abslutely had to the throw lever mount and flip-up backup sights would allow me to run and gun using my irons which I sighted in at 25 yards for that purpose. Price runs about the same as an ACOG.

For my run and gun CQB M4gery I was running an Aimpoint Micro in a Larue mount but decided I wanted a larger window so I will soon be replacing it with an EoTech in a Larue riser. If you take a carbine course, which I do often, then you will not want any magnification at all. Magnification slows you down and really messes you up at CQB distances. You will be running from cover to cover taking shots of opportunity and very fast speeds. You want zero magnification and a crisp red dot for that. Major bonus here is that the red dots are half the price of the ACOGs.

Magnifiers come in handy when you want to occassionally use a CQB rifle for bench rest shooting. But not so much if your primary focus is bench rest shooting and you never run and gun with it. Like an ACOG, it lacks the magnification you would want to really enjoy yourself and it is something of a goofy setup compared to a traditional variable scope which is just much more enjoyable to shoot in that type of enviorment. They are a great bonus item if you have a CQB rig and you want to do some plinking - but don't think they are they end all be all solution.

So again, it all comes down to what you are using your rifle for. There is no solution that is perfect for every type of shooting. So you have to figure out what exactly you will be doing most often, and get the solution that best fits your needs. It might be that an ACOG will actually workout best for you. If so, great!

Res
10-27-2010, 10:52 AM
They are proven and war tested. If you have the funds I highly recommend one.

They're so choice! :cool:

littlerocket
10-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm really stuck between TA31F and TA11F. Now considering the TA33R-8. I know the pros and cons comes down to eye relief vs magnification and field of view. Would appreciate opinions. I guess the main concern for me is would I miss out on .5 magnification and the field of view is 28.9ft for the TA11 vs 36.8ft for the TA31.

WW2Buff
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
If weight and size is not a factor, which it is not for me, then I would go with the TA11. As I said above, it will be my next ACOG. When I have shot with a TA11, I haven't been able to tell that the magnification affected me at all or the shooting and the relief makes up for the .5x less than the TA31 magnification in my book. Have you shot with either of them yet?

littlerocket
10-27-2010, 11:32 AM
No I have not, part of the problem. Living in SF, I don't know where to try one out.

nic
10-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Have a TA01 on one rifle, and a TA01NSN with Docter sight on another.
Love 'em.

Mstnpete
10-27-2010, 12:45 PM
You could be correct. The story I heard was that "Doctor" is a separate company and cut ties with ACOG.

Also found this that appears to be it's replacement: TA31RMR

I think Trijicon bought Doctor Dot and made there own.

k1dude
10-27-2010, 1:17 PM
I use TA11 (red) and TA33's (green).
They mount solidly and stay on zero.
BAC takes some practice but becomes like second nature after some range time.
Built like tank and no batts. I can afford to rebuild them in 10-12 years.
I like them.

Which of the two do you like more? I'm trying to decide between the TA11 green and the TA33 green but have no experience with either.

1911su16b870
10-27-2010, 1:19 PM
I think Trijicon bought Doctor Dot and made there own.

Here are my toys for Competition Shooting. With Trjicon ACOG TA31-DOC & Trjicon Accupoint. These are both MSTN uppers with Lilja barrels 16' & 18'.
Lowers are pre-ban and RAW.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f245/amgguy/IMG_0049-2-1.jpg

NICE!!!

Mstnpete
10-27-2010, 1:38 PM
NICE!!!

Thanks bro!