PDA

View Full Version : Fal Barrel

7.62 Charlie
10-26-2010, 5:15 PM
I'm thinking of building my first fal and was wondering how hard it would be to install the barrel.

joelogic
10-26-2010, 6:23 PM
AR < AK < FAL.

Timing the barrel is much harder than pressing the barrel into an AK trunnion. But then again its all relative.

7.62 Charlie
10-26-2010, 8:06 PM
AR < AK < FAL.

Timing the barrel is much harder than pressing the barrel into an AK trunnion. But then again its all relative.

DSA says their receivers come with proper timing even with used barrels

http://www.dsarms.com/SA58-FAL-Metric-Type-I-Receiver-308-Cal---0291CHC/productinfo/0291CHC/

Sicarius
10-26-2010, 8:30 PM
If you have the tools, the fal is really not that hard to build. Barrel timing is key. If you overtighten or undertighten, it will change your POI. You want to get it so the barrel is hand tight to the 10 oclock position then use the a barrel vice and receiver wrench to get it the rest of the way. I prefer the barrel vice because I can get the barrel lined up perfect on a bench then torque the receiver to match. I can use the 2 rods method and line it up and make small adjustments as needed. Don't forget to put the handguard ring on.
Kevin

4 Brigada
10-27-2010, 9:03 AM
DSA says their receivers come with proper timing even with used barrels

I would say, that is a very optimistic statement on DSA behalf. Most of the time even if you chase the threads on both the receiver and the barrel, and torque the barrel on (not worring about timing at this point). At least 85% plus of the barrels will not hand time on any receiver. The good thing is they undertime so working the shoulder will get it to at least the 10 o'clock. Just work slowly when removing the material from the shoulder or you will run into the problem that some geniuses encounter, overtiming, if they went slow peen the shoulder on the barrel and start over. But if they were lathed it probably went into the realm of needing a shim and depending on the thickness also replacing the metric handguard retainer ring with an L1A1 retainer ring so it can be fitted over the shim.