PDA

View Full Version : rifle/shotgun in trunk

jak77
10-26-2010, 4:37 PM
I'm trying to figure out if its legal to keep a shotgun or rifle in the trunk of my car. This is a purely hypothetical question as I see on other forums people from different states showing off their "truck" guns. Is this legal in california? I'm thinking yes as long as its not loaded, but with ammo next to it. So what say you, am I right? If anyone can point out the actuall legal language that says this I would appreciate it.

emptybottle151
10-26-2010, 4:48 PM
A locked trunk counts as a locked container. So I believe that just the ammo has to be in a lock container "separate" from the firearm, such as a locked ammo can.

B yond
10-26-2010, 5:00 PM
IIRC the weapon can only be transported in a vehicle while going to or coming from legal shooting-related activities.

No source to cite, just something I think I read somewhere....

jak77
10-26-2010, 5:01 PM
I thought long guns didn't have to be in a locked container, thought that only pertained to handguns. Never heard of ammo being in a locked container either

WDE91
10-26-2010, 5:05 PM
I think this is more along the lines of what I was thinking ^^^^

Librarian
10-26-2010, 5:06 PM
See the Wiki FAQs - start here: http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#How_do_I_legally_transport_a_long_gun_.28rifle _or_shotgun.29.3F

Short answer - so long as you stay off school grounds and other prohibited areas, yes, you can carry an unloaded long gun in your car.

21SF
10-26-2010, 5:51 PM
You can carry it in the cab if you wanted it not a concealable weapon. Unloaded

Librarian
10-26-2010, 5:59 PM
You can carry it in the cab if you wanted it not a concealable weapon. Unloaded

Except that the Federal version of Gun Free School Zones (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones) requires a locked case or locked gun rack for long guns within 1000 feet of K-12 schools.

jak77
10-26-2010, 6:03 PM
Except that the Federal version of Gun Free School Zones (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones) requires a locked case or locked gun rack for long guns within 1000 feet of K-12 schools.

So being in a locked trunk would qualify, correct? And what about ammo? Could I have a box of ammo sitting next to the long gun in my locked trunk?

jak77
10-26-2010, 6:05 PM
Ok, just saw the wiki, so it looks like my above questions are answered. But a clarifying question, do the long guns have to be only transported to and from a range? I thought that was only true for RAWs.

paul0660
10-26-2010, 6:21 PM
You can haul them around all day, no destination is required.

And, having read the wiki, you know that ammo can be in the same container as the unloaded gun.

plankowner
10-27-2010, 6:01 AM
so if I read the wiki right it says I can have a shotgun with a bb and I can have more than ten rounds?

Librarian
10-27-2010, 7:30 AM
If you had those 10+ round removable box magazines in state before 2000, and the shotgun is not on the 'named' list, looks like you could.

comblock
10-27-2010, 7:38 AM

I usually keep my guns (rifle,pistol,shotgun) in a locked container in the trunk of my car cause your route to wherever you're going maybe through prohibited areas and you never knew it.

r6raff
10-27-2010, 7:50 AM
Like said before, long guns are not concealable and can be unloaded sitting anywhere in your vehicle, except while complying with the gunzone safety deal. Also, 2 things to keep in mind, a trunk is only considered a locked container when it truely is a "Locked Container" this meaning, it needs to actually be locked, some cars have trunks that remain unlocked unless you manually lock them. Also, if you have fold down rear seats that arent locked, that may negate the trunks "locked container" classification.

These are things that have been explained to me in the past buy leos and other officials as their interpretation of this issue, It may be FUD for all I know, but I err on the side of caution when it comes to stupid felonies.

21SF
10-27-2010, 7:51 AM
So being in a locked trunk would qualify, correct? And what about ammo? Could I have a box of ammo sitting next to the long gun in my locked trunk?

Yes as long as there isnt one in the chamber or a position from which it may be fired.

jak77
10-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Thank you, those were the answers I was looking for.