PDA

View Full Version : Paging Alan Gura! Paging Alan Gura!

IGOTDIRT4U
10-26-2010, 8:01 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/23/nyc-proposal-renders-bad-drivers-debtors-unfit-guns/

New York City residents who want to own a gun may soon be denied permits if they are litterbugs, if they are bad drivers, or if they have fallen behind on a few bills.

Under proposed revisions to the police department's handgun, rifle and shotgun permit procedures, the NYPD can reject gun license applicants for a number of reasons, including:

If they have been arrested or convicted of almost any "violation," in any state; having a "poor driving history"; having been fired for "circumstances that demonstrate lack of good judgment"; having "failed to pay legally required debts"; being deemed to lack "good moral character"; or if any other information demonstrates "other good cause for the denial of the permit."

More...

AJAX22
10-26-2010, 8:02 AM
Ooooo denied 2a rights for poor credit scores...

If you need a plaintif, I'm squeaky clean, and I live in NYC

IGOTDIRT4U
10-26-2010, 8:04 AM
Yep, lower the fees, raise the bar on the rest of the qualifications. Eh, WRONG. Even fees to obtain a gun should be unConstitutional.

Maestro Pistolero
10-26-2010, 8:44 AM
Shooting fish in a bucket, anyone?

NightOwl
10-26-2010, 8:52 AM
Well, looks like New York is instituting a new lottery system. Pass horrid, unconstitutional laws, and the first lawyer to file makes a stack o cash.

hkusp9c
10-26-2010, 8:56 AM
oh wow pretty soon i guess they are gonna run your credit score when you call 911 and send out assistance only when your score is above national average?
:rolleyes:

yellowfin
10-26-2010, 8:59 AM
Well, looks like New York is instituting a new lottery system. Pass horrid, unconstitutional laws, and the first lawyer to file makes a stack o cash.The thing is, pro gun lawyers in NYS/NYC could give David Copperfield lessons on vanishing into thin air.

freonr22
10-26-2010, 9:14 AM
here are the changes..

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/Notice_of_Hearing_for_License_Division_Rule_Change s.pdf

The council is due to vote on the price changes, which are expected to pass, and to advise the police department on the restriction changes Wednesday.

ed bernay
10-26-2010, 9:17 AM
as I have ranted on here before, a license requirement to OWN a firearm. A requirement that is outside the norm in the rest of the country. A fundamental right, EXERCISED IN A NYC RESIDENT'S OWN HOME, is a crime if you don't get a government bureaucrats permission slip. Now they are tightening the screws on people even more. NYC needs to be ***** slapped big time.

Dreaded Claymore
10-26-2010, 9:20 AM
Bloody hell...

I hope someone can put a stop to this nonsense before long.

Havoc70
10-26-2010, 9:21 AM
Every time I think we have it bad here in California, I see something like this from NYC or NJ and it puts things in perspective. As bad as things are here, it could be a whole lot worse.

ZombieTactics
10-26-2010, 9:24 AM
Someone please undertake a class action lawsuit and bankrupt the friggn' city. PLEASE!

Sutcliffe
10-26-2010, 9:31 AM
Until it starts costing them big money, they won't stop with their personal agenda.
Now is the time to get pissed and start going after them. If it makes civil rights attorneys, like Gura, filthy rich at taxpayer expense -I guess I'm good with it. Rather go to him than Bloomberg/Feinstein's slush funds.

IGOTDIRT4U
10-26-2010, 9:38 AM
Frankly, I wuold have to believe this is already on Gura's desk and has considerable work up on it already. He's probably just waiting for it to become official. And that date is getting closer.

Crom
10-26-2010, 9:38 AM
Mordor is at it again.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_HyKXZv5NViY/TMcyGHPMPwI/AAAAAAAA1PM/noD5ammVC8c/s512/Mordor%5B1%5D.jpg

yellowfin
10-26-2010, 9:48 AM
Guess what, most of NYC's city council is so brainwashed into the gun hating ideology that they can't even make themselves go along with it (or they're spouting tons of BS for public posturing) http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bloomy_gun_plan_backfire_nqIFaam6NedDgY77i42IDM
"There's no way I could vote on this. Since I've been in the council, we've voted on numerous bills where fees and fines were increased and it would send a strange message to New Yorkers that the one fine we look to reduce is the fee and fine to permit a gun," Councilman Erik Dilan (D-Brooklyn), who did not attend the caucus, said...

"I don't know how anybody could . . . speculate that we're going to be sued by the National Rifle Association or any other entity for the fee when it's been set at that rate for several years," he said."

IGOTDIRT4U
10-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Good Lord, he can't see beyond the bad precedent his predecessors set. Apparently living in a bubble is that council member's specialty. Hasn't he heard about Heller/McDonald?!?

yellowfin
10-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Good Lord, he can't see beyond the bad precedent his predecessors set. Apparently living in a bubble is that council member's specialty. Hasn't he heard about Heller/McDonald?!?NYC isn't part of the USA according to their leadership, and it would seem 50%+ of their population. They're not even part of the rest of NYS except to make all the rules and take all the money. I for one find it repulsive that the Statue of Liberty is kept there being that it's the least liberty compatible place in the entire country with its taxes and laws.

IGOTDIRT4U
10-26-2010, 10:51 AM
NYC isn't part of the USA according to their leadership, and it would seem 50%+ of their population. They're not even part of the rest of NYS except to make all the rules and take all the money. I for one find it repulsive that the Statue of Liberty is kept there being that it's the least liberty compatible place in the entire country with its taxes and laws.

Yeah, I used to live in Connecticut and had and uncle in Queens. It's bad. Real bad. Like the Bay area and LA run all of CA.

rero360
10-26-2010, 10:56 AM
+100 to yellowfin, I actually grew up about an hour away from painted post, just north of wayland.

I lived in much of NY state, and with the exception of a few small pockets here and there and everything south of the catskill mountains, the state is very pro 2a, I had my CCW moved about in 4 different counties with no problems and with no restrictions.

AJAX22
10-26-2010, 12:00 PM
With the growing Libertarian movement, its becoming increasingly ok to talk about guns in NYC..

Surprised the hell out of me.

But a Ton of investment bankers etc. are all closet gunnies, or really really want to be one... but don't apply for all the licencing etc because they have a perception that they will just be arbitrarily denied... and because of all the restrictions they can't travel with it, they cant shoot it anywhere and they just don't want that level of hassel and intrusion in their lives.

It won't take much to see major changes in this city.

J.D.Allen
10-26-2010, 3:51 PM
oh wow pretty soon i guess they are gonna run your credit score when you call 911 and send out assistance only when your score is above national average?
:rolleyes:

No, only when you want to speak..."shut up sir, your credit score is only 585, no talking for you!"

dfletcher
10-26-2010, 4:07 PM
These guys are just like the segregationists of the 50s & 60s who tried to be cute working around the Brown decision. Toss up all these persnickity restrictions and duplicitious schemes. I'll bet it would frost Bloomberg to know the spiritual company he keeps.

Sleepy1988
10-26-2010, 4:09 PM
This BS isn't going to stop until the people proposing it start getting locked up for civil rights violations.

Brianguy
10-26-2010, 4:16 PM
All right gentlemen I need to see your free speech license. If you would like to apply for a license please stop by your local police station for printing and a criminal record check. Please do not exercise your 1A right within New York City limits before your license is issued or you will be arrested and will be disqualified from free speech for the rest of your life.

Rossi357
10-26-2010, 4:39 PM
Don't forget the polygraph test. We will measure you nose.

N6ATF
10-26-2010, 6:01 PM
These guys are just like the segregationists of the 50s & 60s who tried to be cute working around the Brown decision. Toss up all these persnickity restrictions and duplicitious schemes. I'll bet it would frost Bloomberg to know the spiritual company he keeps.

He knows he's evil. He also knows he can get away with it. Evil people rarely get their comeuppance in the mortal realm.

hoffmang
10-26-2010, 9:57 PM
Enh... who needs a keep permit when carry permits are about to go shall issue...

-Gene

MSO4MATT
10-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Is there anyway that an IPO can be issued for Alan Gura Corp.?

I have a feeling that he's gonna be Wall Street's next hot pick. Maybe Vanguard or Fidelity can incorporate his legal firm into a mutual fund; then I can use the dividend to buy ammo well into retirement.

IGOTDIRT4U
10-27-2010, 9:31 AM
Enh... who needs a keep permit when carry permits are about to go shall issue...

-Gene

Are you saying NY state is about to enact a shall issue law?

Gray Peterson
10-27-2010, 9:35 AM
Are you saying NY state is about to enact a shall issue law?

Kachalsky v. Cacace (http://ia600105.us.archive.org/2/items/gov.uscourts.nysd.365487/gov.uscourts.nysd.365487.docket.html)

nicki
10-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Alan Gura is hitting Westchester county which is just north of NYC.

While NYC has their own separate and worse gun laws, there will be a spill over effect.

Right now Chicago is going to get hammered on their revised handgun law which is no where near as bad as current NYC policy.

Nicki

GrizzlyGuy
10-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Helmke continues to expose even more of his anti-Constitution, anti-liberty and truly totalitarian stripes:

While some restrictions, like paying legally required debts, may seem irrelevant to critics, Helmke says they are not.

"Child support, taxes, fines and governmental penalties I think are legitimate things. Basically, if someone's not complying with what the government requires of somebody, that's usually a sign that you can't trust them to follow the rules with something like a gun," he said.

:mad:

wash
10-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Is there anyway that an IPO can be issued for Alan Gura Corp.?

I have a feeling that he's gonna be Wall Street's next hot pick. Maybe Vanguard or Fidelity can incorporate his legal firm into a mutual fund; then I can use the dividend to buy ammo well into retirement.
I think a lot of people overestimate the ammount of money involved with civil rights work.

While Alan is certainly a wealthy man and an outstanding lawyer, many average lawyers have much more wealth because they work in areas where it's easier to earn/win money.

I'm sure that Alan does this for his love of freedom and liberty just as much as his paycheck.

IGOTDIRT4U
10-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Kachalsky v. Cacace (http://ia600105.us.archive.org/2/items/gov.uscourts.nysd.365487/gov.uscourts.nysd.365487.docket.html)

Just read the complaint. Real plain, but considering reg 400 in NY state is so simply written, there was no need for a lot of fluff in the pleading. Let's see what happens.

J.D.Allen
10-27-2010, 11:07 AM

-Gene

Does NY also have to wait two weeks??? :rolleyes:

Window_Seat
10-27-2010, 12:17 PM
NYC isn't part of the USA according to their leadership, and it would seem 50%+ of their population. They're not even part of the rest of NYS except to make all the rules and take all the money. I for one find it repulsive that the Statue of Liberty is kept there being that it's the least liberty compatible place in the entire country with its taxes and laws.

^+10⁹⁹∞

"LETTER addressed to Judge Cathy Seibel from Alan Gura dated 8/16/2010" was not available to view in the form of a link, do you have the letter, I was able to read all the other letters, complaints, and everything else in that docket, but not this specific letter (the only thing I imagine is that he doesn't want it to be accessible, and if that's the case, no worries at all.)

Does NY also have to wait two weeks??? :rolleyes:

Maybe, but when they are done with the two week waiting period, they'll have a legal sandwich and a nap handed to them for sure, especially based on the reply letter(s) the defendants write.:D

Erik.

krucam
10-27-2010, 2:03 PM
^+10⁹⁹∞

"LETTER addressed to Judge Cathy Seibel from Alan Gura dated 8/16/2010" was not available to view in the form of a link, do you have the letter, I was able to read all the other letters, complaints, and everything else in that docket, but not this specific letter (the only thing I imagine is that he doesn't want it to be accessible, and if that's the case, no worries at all.)

Erik.

Item 11 in the Docket, LETTER addressed to Judge Cathy Seibel from Alan Gura 8/16/2010, was just uploaded via Recap to the docket and should be available shortly at the link.

But if you can't wait:

greasemonkey
10-27-2010, 2:15 PM
Looks like the State of NY has some masochists running the place, they saw Chicago get bent over & spanked and decided they'd like to get the same treatment :43:

IGOTDIRT4U
10-27-2010, 2:57 PM
Item 11 in the Docket, LETTER addressed to Judge Cathy Seibel from Alan Gura 8/16/2010, was just uploaded via Recap to the docket and should be available shortly at the link.

But if you can't wait:

lol, he's begging for summary judgement. And the Court knows exactly what he will do with it if they issue one against him.

yellowfin
10-27-2010, 6:29 PM
Looks like the State of NY has some masochists running the place, they saw Chicago get bent over & spanked and decided they'd like to get the same treatmentThey're both used to thinking that they're invincible and above the law and have gotten away with it long enough to believe they're right.

MSO4MATT
10-27-2010, 8:28 PM
I think a lot of people overestimate the ammount of money involved with civil rights work.

While Alan is certainly a wealthy man and an outstanding lawyer, many average lawyers have much more wealth because they work in areas where it's easier to earn/win money.

I'm sure that Alan does this for his love of freedom and liberty just as much as his paycheck.

In no way did I mean to imply that it's about the money, in order to be successful in this area of law you have to be committed and driven by something else other than money. But one has to imagine that these local government tyrants who like to pass laws that stomp on people's rights have got to be paying out quite a sum to their formally disarmed victims...and representing attorney.

N6ATF
10-28-2010, 8:01 AM
Not their money.
Step 1) Obstruct the fee award, see Heller
Step 2) Raise taxes, see every scumbag-filled government in existence