PDA

View Full Version : Sending handgun to Florida.

Meplat
10-26-2010, 7:03 AM
My daughter left her handgun with me for safe keeping. She now resides in Florida with her husband who is an AF pilot. I would like to send her gun to her now that she is settled. Can I ship it to an FFL in Florida or do I need to go through a dealer on both ends?

Oceanbob
10-26-2010, 8:08 AM
My daughter left her handgun with me for safe keeping. She now resides in Florida with her husband who is an AF pilot. I would like to send her gun to her now that she is settled. Can I ship it to an FFL in Florida or do I need to go through a dealer on both ends?

Just send it OVERNIGHT via Federal Express to her home. Be sure to insure it. Handguns are required to be sent overnight.

glockman19
10-26-2010, 8:47 AM
Just send it OVERNIGHT via Federal Express to her home. Be sure to insure it. Handguns are required to be sent overnight.

This is what I do whenever I visit relatives.

paul0660
10-26-2010, 9:06 AM
In case the shipper asks (assuming you declare the contents) your daughter is shipping the handgun to herself. That is the only legal way to ship it across state lines without involving a FFL. Put her name as sender and receiver.

Meplat
10-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys, CGN never fails.

tiki
10-26-2010, 12:56 PM
I've never had Fed Ex accept my firearm before. I try to ship it to myself overnight when I go home for the holidays and they tell me the same thing every time, Fed Ex policy is that only a dealer can ship it. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, just what they tell me at the local Fed Ex place (not the Kinkos variety, an actul Fed Ex facility).

Mssr. Eleganté
10-26-2010, 1:31 PM
I've never had Fed Ex accept my firearm before. I try to ship it to myself overnight when I go home for the holidays and they tell me the same thing every time, Fed Ex policy is that only a dealer can ship it. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, just what they tell me at the local Fed Ex place (not the Kinkos variety, an actul Fed Ex facility).

FedEx company policy does not allow you to ship a firearm without an FFL being involved on at least one end.

Havoc70
10-26-2010, 1:39 PM
Use UPS then. It doesn't have to be FedEx, it just has to be overnight and not the USPS.

jester
10-26-2010, 3:45 PM
Take it apart and send it in 2 packages of "machine parts"

Mssr. Eleganté
10-26-2010, 4:16 PM
Take it apart and send it in 2 packages of "machine parts"

Since it is being shipped interstate to a non-FFL, that would be a violation of Federal law. When you ship a firearm or firearm frame/receiver interstate to a non-FFL you are required by Federal law to notify the carrier.

If you are shipping a firearm or firearm frame/receiver to an FFL in any State or to an unlicensed person in your own State then there is no such Federal requirement to notify the carrier. All common carriers have policies requiring that you notify them no matter where the gun is being shipped, but this is just company policy and not law.

18 U.S.C. § 922(e)

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;

tiki
10-26-2010, 6:57 PM
Since it is being shipped interstate to a non-FFL, that would be a violation of Federal law. When you ship a firearm or firearm frame/receiver interstate to a non-FFL you are required by Federal law to notify the carrier.

If you are shipping a firearm or firearm frame/receiver to an FFL in any State or to an unlicensed person in your own State then there is no such Federal requirement to notify the carrier. All common carriers have policies requiring that you notify them no matter where the gun is being shipped, but this is just company policy and not law.

The ATF will let you ship it to yourself, overnight. So, if you are flying across the country, you can mail it out to someone in c/o yourself, and you are the one that has to open it when you get there. I was told this by an ATF agent at the San Fran office. The Post Office will let you ship gun parts, so, the frame is one part and the slide is the other. BUT, it has to ship from you to you and overnight. So, you can't ship it to your daughter this way, only to yourself if you are going on vacation. I don't trust the airlines or Homeland Security at the airport.

paul0660
10-26-2010, 7:02 PM
So, you can't ship it to your daughter this way, only to yourself if you are going on vacation.

She is shipping HER gun to HERself, he just happens to be taking it to the shipper.

Also, the part of the gun that has the serial number on it cannot be mailed, because it is a firearm. It has to go overnight air via UPS.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-26-2010, 7:23 PM
...The Post Office will let you ship gun parts, so, the frame is one part and the slide is the other.

Notice that the OP is talking about a handgun. Unlicensed individuals can not ship handguns or handgun frames through the U.S.P.S. Only licensed dealers and licensed manufacturers can send handguns or handgun frames through the U.S.P.S. and only if they are sending them to another licensed dealer or licensed manufacturer.

jeep7081
10-26-2010, 7:41 PM
Sound slike OP needs to creat an online account with UPS. Print the label, from his daughter to his daughter, box it and ship it. When you do this, you just drop it off at UPS. Your in & out! Easy.