PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento CCW resident question.

kozumasbullitt
10-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I was born and raised in Sacramento and have had the same address for almost 30 years. I was honorably discharged from service in 05 and was able to find a job in the bay area later that year. I have been working in the bay area and have a small apartment that I use Monday through Friday. I travel back home to Sacramento every weekend and holiday, my car is registered there, all my bills are sent there, my cell phone is still a 916 number, all my firearms are registered with my Sacramento adress and I consider my life in Sacramento. Is Sacramento my residence even though my temporary move to the bay area is much longer then expected and will most likely be extended because of the poor job market (my job here is very secure).

CSDGuy
10-26-2010, 1:45 AM
Sounds like you temporarily reside in the Bay Area but you're domiciled in Sacramento. I assume you're also registered to vote in Sacramento as well? You might very well be in the same position as Mr. Peruta is in San Diego... While you don't live in Sacramento Full-Time, it's where you return to when you don't have to be at work the next day.

Edward Peruta
10-26-2010, 4:02 AM
As everyone must realize, I have refrained from posting information on California topics out of respect for those that are handling my legal case. I feel confident that this informaiton will not reveal any information or cause any problems.

REQUEST:

I wish people would stop using phrases like "TEMPORARY", "FULL TIME", OR "PERMANENT" when referring to a "RESIDENCE" for CCW application purposes.

Sacramento CCW resident question.

I was born and raised in Sacramento and have had the same address for almost 30 years. I was honorably discharged from service in 05 and was able to find a job in the bay area later that year. I have been working in the bay area and have a small apartment that I use Monday through Friday. I travel back home to Sacramento every weekend and holiday, my car is registered there, all my bills are sent there, my cell phone is still a 916 number, all my firearms are registered with my Sacramento address and I consider my life in Sacramento. Is Sacramento my residence even though my temporary move to the bay area is much longer then expected and will most likely be extended because of the poor job market (my job here is very secure).

To Kozumasbullitt:

Your situation is not unique. The scenario that you present is very common here in CT.

Individuals who maintain a DOMICLE/RESIDENCE in the northwest hill communities of Connecticut, (Litchfield County), with their families and work in New York City often rent or own work related apartments in the city so they do not have to commute every day to and from their jobs in the city.

Many of these people leave their domicile/residence and travel to their work related residence on Sunday evenings so they can get up on weekday mornings M-F refreshed for work.

They then leave their work residence and return to their domicile/residence to be with their family members on weekends.

A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THIS IS:

Undercover Boss a new television show on CBS just did a segment on Steve Phelps Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer of NASCAR who maintains a domicile/residence somewhere in the New York area and a business residence in Daytona Beach, Florida near the Daytona Speedway. SVP/CMO Steve Phelps says “I COMMUNTE FROM THE NEW YORK AREA DOWN TO DAYTONA BEACH EVERY WEEK, I’M HERE TYPICALLY MONDAY MORNING THRUGH THURSDAY NIGHT” Watch the promo of the segment where it’s explained at this link: http://www.cbs.com/primetime/undercover_boss/video/?pid=GIxgStgGHRoKi9ThWwKiKF3vVy_3sAaj&vs=homepage&play=true

Prior to discussing the CCW process with the San Diego Sheriff’s Department, I had done extensive research on this topic in a case being tried in the Federal Courts in CT. My research at the time led me to realize that a person may have more than one resident but only one domicile.

California Penal Code Section 12050 only requires an applicant to be a resident, without any definition of what constitutes a residence as used in the section.

thebronze
10-26-2010, 6:34 AM
I was born and raised in Sacramento and have had the same address for almost 30 years. I was honorably discharged from service in 05 and was able to find a job in the bay area later that year. I have been working in the bay area and have a small apartment that I use Monday through Friday. I travel back home to Sacramento every weekend and holiday, my car is registered there, all my bills are sent there, my cell phone is still a 916 number, all my firearms are registered with my Sacramento adress and I consider my life in Sacramento. Is Sacramento my residence even though my temporary move to the bay area is much longer then expected and will most likely be extended because of the poor job market (my job here is very secure).

You live in Sacramento and you commute to the Bay Area. That's all they need to know.

domino
10-26-2010, 8:35 AM
Hey look at Arnold, he travels like this for work too. He is always flying back and forth to Sacramento and LA.

wildhawker
10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
http://calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/resources/ccw-initiative/122-sacramento

ChrisTKHarris
10-26-2010, 9:01 PM
Great question. This thread helped me resolve a question I had about my CCW application.

dantodd
10-26-2010, 9:48 PM
Remember, all of your congress critters and senators are RESIDENTS of California and only commute to D.C. for work. It works the same for you.

hoffmang
10-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Please just apply in Sacramento per the instructions on the Sacramento page on Calgunsfoundation.org. If you have a problem, please contact a CGF board member.

I give you very strong odds that you just get your permit. Your biggest hassle will be getting to the SCSO on the right days.

-Gene