PDA

View Full Version : Answer the door armed or unarmed???

1911 Fan
10-25-2010, 8:38 PM
This scenario. It is 1:00am and you are awake when suddenly you hear loud knocking on the front door.Because you do not live in a neighborhood with the safest reputation you have a pistol holstered and tucked into your waistband. There is nothing illegal happening on or in your property because you are a law abiding citizen.You look through the front door peep hole and see a city police officer and his partner.Question.Would you open the door with the pistol holstered in your waistband, would you hide it or leave it in plain sight away from your person? If you answer yes or no give an answer why.

furman
10-25-2010, 8:59 PM
put the gun away, the reason's simple: it's a felony to scare the s#$@ out of a police officer.

FailedAngrMgmt
10-25-2010, 8:59 PM
while looking through that peep hole, i would be looking for marked cop cars in front of your house, looking at badges and uniforms as best i could. we live in an age where these sleazeballs are not afraid to play dress up and do a home invasion. ask some questions through the door, let them know you are gonna call dispatch to see if there is any calls at or around your address as you don't feel safe opening your door at that hour of the night. if there is reason for them to be at your door, this would give you plenty of time to put the gun back in the safe, if not, your prepared. they can send the real calvary to your house. they don't take kindly to people trying to pretend. im sure they will get their very quickly. as far as opening the door to the real cops with a gun on your hip, I wouldn't. you can do as you like, but i personally don't want to be proned out on the wet grass at 1am. All the cops would then rush to your house to backup their co-workers, and the real bad guy they were chasing probably gets away only to commit more crimes in your neighborhood in the future.

N6ATF
10-25-2010, 9:02 PM
Ahh, these variables!

CA version: At 1 am I'd typically need to put clothes on. I peek out my peephole and I can't be sure who's there. First would be silent treatment while I try to figure out what's going on (is there a fire, was there a quiet crime and lots of cops on scene, is there a legit reason for them to be knocking, is there a folded piece of paper in one of their hands), and if they're real cops. After verifying they're real, I'd lock the gun(s) in the safe, come outside, lock door behind.

Free state version: Throw clothes and gunbelt on, open inner door with gun side invisible, ask what's up. Helpful to me, come outside and talk, arms crossed at first, then "at ease" later on. Adversarial with me, close door, lock gun(s) in safe, come outside, lock door behind.

Crom
10-25-2010, 9:10 PM
I take great comfort in the security and safety of the protections that my home provides. I would have no worries about being armed in my home. I would leave it in my holster. When talking to the police I would not open my security door only the wood one. We can talk just fine through the security door, family policy is to never invite the law inside.

1 SIG fan
10-25-2010, 9:10 PM
you missed the obvious answer... Shoot through the door.

dieselpower
10-25-2010, 9:14 PM
1- if I hear knocking on my door at 1am, the gun is in my hand, not holstered.
2- i look out and see two LEO, I speak through the door, Whats going on officer
3- if i decide to open the door, the firearm is in my waist band and I have informed the Officers it is there.

Double_tap
10-25-2010, 9:15 PM
talk through the door unless they have a warrant.

FailedAngrMgmt
10-25-2010, 9:15 PM

:36: ahhh yes, "plan c"

kabley
10-25-2010, 9:35 PM

Silent lurker here...

I laughed hard at this... Worthy of my first post.

SVT-40
10-25-2010, 9:55 PM

So you are advocating the cold blooded execution of LEO's by shooting them through the door.

If you are making a "joke" it's pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourself. If your serious you should be banned.

Sick comments like these are some of the reasons this site is getting a reputation as being anti LEO.

What would the reaction be if I was to advocate LEO's shooting a homeowner through a door because he told a LEO he was armed?

Not so funny is it?

stylett9
10-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I don't have a peep hole so what I've always done is answer/open the door with my left hand, and I only open it enough to peep my head out. I keep my pistol loaded in my right hand out of sight (because again, i've only cracked the door open).

Once I verify there is no threat, I politely ask to give me a second, and i unload and place the weapon down on a counter out of sight from the door.

Double_tap
10-25-2010, 10:01 PM
So you are advocating the cold blooded execution of LEO's by shooting them through the door.

If you are making a "joke" it's pathetic. You should be ashamed of yourself. If your serious you should be banned.

Sick comments like these are some of the reasons this site is getting a reputation as being anti LEO.

What would the reaction be if I was to advocate LEO's shooting a homeowner through a door because he told a LEO he was armed?

Not so funny is it?

calm down amigo, have a drink.

it was a joke in poor taste, getting E-angry isnt going to solve anything and it just makes you see uptight.

IntoForever
10-25-2010, 10:04 PM
Open the door, run through them wearing only your wife's panties and her bra on your head screeching "you'll never bugger me alive coppers!"

Window_Seat
10-25-2010, 10:40 PM
I know the call signs of all the Officers in the department of the city I live in. I know the K9 Officer's names. I would quiz them through the door, unless I see it's the Officer's themselves (and I know what they look like, it helps to know what they look like). I also run a scanner, so if my doorbell rang at 01:00 (or 03:00, and I'm up at that hour), I would know before they knocked, unless they were impersonators, and then I would be carrying mine in hand (not holster, as my holster would be too small :p).

Erik.

Fate
10-25-2010, 10:47 PM
Sorry, not gonna open the door. I'll talk thru the door and call dispatch. Without seeing a warrant stuck up against the window, that door's not opening. Hell, I don't even open the door during the day...for girl scouts. No way at 0-dark:thirty.

DannyInSoCal
10-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Unless you called me first -

I'm not getting out of bed at 1:00am anyway.....

tpuig
10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Talk through the closed door. Ask for the picture ID and a business card.

El Gato
10-25-2010, 11:01 PM
at 0100...
shotgun in my hand behind leg/door...or the glock 20...screw the holster they don't work well in my boxer/briefs...:cool2:

rubber duckie
10-25-2010, 11:04 PM
who answers the door at 1am? go back to sleep and hope who ever is at the door has the wrong house and moves on..

PsychGuy274
10-25-2010, 11:08 PM
If there was a person dressed as an officer knocking on my door at 1am I'd be all, "Ah yes, the male stripper has arrived :D

The Cable Guy
10-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Whenever I get strange knocks at strange times in the day or night, I always answer with a gun either in my IWB holster, uncovered as I check who it is, and if its no one to be worried about, I throw my shirt over it and invite them in.

If its at an odd hour and I'm in my PJs, I hold it in my hand and answer with the door cracked open. If its a friend of mine, they already know the procedure and won't get freaked by the gun. If its someone visiting someone else in the house, I temporarily put the gun in the mail basket out of sight as they make their way in. I close the door after them and allow them to get to wherever they need to, then when they're out of sight, I take the pistol and get back into my room.

Dreaded Claymore
10-25-2010, 11:13 PM

Not so funny is it?

I'm pretty sure it's a mocking reference to an earlier thread, where a guy told us all about how he was startled by someone trying to get in the door, and was almost ready to shoot through it, but found out in time that it was the plumber. Some folks were talking big, like "Oh yeah, I'd have shot him through the door, I'm Billy Badass," not realizing that the title of the thread was "I almost shot the plumber."

Edit: Here it is, some of the worst advice ever given on Calguns (boldface mine):

So, here's BG (you think) trying to open your door and you actually open it for him/her? Don't do that, make the BG work harder :)

Also, when the gun is out, it means the situation is serious, so (1) don't stand next to the door where you think the BG is (in your case) and (2) just shoot and don't hesitate.

Kynoch
10-25-2010, 11:16 PM
This scenario. It is 1:00am and you are awake when suddenly you hear loud knocking on the front door.Because you do not live in a neighborhood with the safest reputation you have a pistol holstered and tucked into your waistband. There is nothing illegal happening on or in your property because you are a law abiding citizen.You look through the front door peep hole and see a city police officer and his partner.Question.Would you open the door with the pistol holstered in your waistband, would you hide it or leave it in plain sight away from your person? If you answer yes or no give an answer why.
At 1:00AM? Honestly? In this situation I call 911...

Kynoch
10-25-2010, 11:19 PM

Not so funny is it?
Agreed.

maxwellca21
10-25-2010, 11:26 PM
i would definitely call dispatch first before respond to the LEO at all and I would put my shotgun not pistol away.

stitchnicklas
10-26-2010, 12:15 AM
been here did this back in 2000,there was some heavy doings going on in my neighborhood
and i called cops and they were hiding out,well 2 bg's came roll up to my door stopped at the lawn real quick when they saw me holding my sks,they booked it and about 3 mins later as i was watching to the right(contact area) i see a flash light from the left and its the sheriffs,uh oh i am illuminated and holding my sks still :eek: they start reaching for their weapons and at the same time i toe kick the sks out to the lawn,they confirmed i was the rp took the gun while holding it in a fashion to use it (no patrol rifles then) they nabbed about 20 gangbangers in a trap and we had a ton of leos out ,a hour later i am standing with neighbors when the sheriffs roll up ,stop ,get out ,hand me my sks and leave. :43:..everyone around me was like wtf??:confused:....

reason i had the sks out was i was babysitting my gf's 1 year old and was not going let anything happen to her .:chris:

adrenalinemedic
10-26-2010, 12:42 AM

Sick comments like these are some of the reasons this site is getting has a reputation as being anti LEO.

Not so funny is it?

It's true. Ask around.

ETA: And its actually not these comments that have gotten CalGuns that rep, its all of the comments along the lines of "No police officer can be trusted" and "All cops are crooked" and "Every cop it just looking for an excuse to violate your civil rights on a power trip."

N6ATF
10-26-2010, 12:45 AM
they start reaching for their weapons and at the same time i toe kick the sks out to the lawn

HAHAHA that sounds like sporting artistry.

Munk
10-26-2010, 1:54 AM
It's true. Ask around.

ETA: And its actually not these comments that have gotten CalGuns that rep, its all of the comments along the lines of "No police officer can be trusted" and "All cops are crooked" and "Every cop it just looking for an excuse to violate your civil rights on a power trip."

For me it's more along the lines of: Cops are human, with all the crap that entails. They run the gamut from standup guys, to complete sleeze. You may run into the guy who's just slogging his way through his job, or captain commando who's gung-ho and does everything to the best of his ability, the right way.

The problems come from the fact that it is a position of power and authority. The usual axioms about power may apply, but that's not the issue. They are in a position where they can destroy a person's life, or property, or livelyhood with a single misinterpretation of a law or other false arrest. The sheer potential that this MIGHT, and in a few publicized cases HAS happened is what makes people wary of the police.

Then there's the issue that it is permissible for them to be ignorant of the proper enforecement of a law, yet are still allowed to act on this ignorance; while non-LEOs are expected to know things forwards and backwards and EVEN THAT IS NO PROTECTION, when someone is going to do the wrong thing.

Summary: It's the potential and permissibility of the wrong thing happening that has caused such an apprehensive attitude toward police.

Disclaimer: I haven't personally had any negative interactions with the police, and in fact have been pleasently surprised by how... lenient the officers were during my most deserving interaction. Even with all this... i'm still apprehensive around cops, especially when the subject of firearms comes up.

tiki
10-26-2010, 3:58 AM
I don't have a peep hole

A .45 will make a nice one.

Hell, I don't even open the door during the day...for girl scouts.

What if they're hot? (It's a joke, relax)

boxer/briefs

I wonder if there is some running joke in congress.

If there was a person dressed as an officer knocking on my door at 1am I'd be all, "Ah yes, the male stripper has arrived :D

"Ah yes" and "male stripper" don't belong in the same sentence.

At 1:00AM? Honestly? In this situation I call 911...

Why? They're already there.

socal_tom
10-26-2010, 4:29 AM
I don't answer the door I finish laying Pipe on the chick who's in my bed

robcoe
10-26-2010, 4:43 AM
Easy answers for me, I dont answer the door. Anyone I am willing to talk to at 1am has my phone number.

If for some unknown reasion I do decide to answer the door, I will only open the inner door, the outer security door stays shut and I keep a shotgun behind the inner door.

OleCuss
10-26-2010, 4:46 AM
I'm with those who say to call 911/dispatch. Best way to know if the folks at the door are legit. And yes, if you just flat know the cops and have a nice peephole that would work pretty well.

I'm really curious as to whether one of our good LEO's would care to weigh in and tell us what they'd recommend. I suspect that would be most valuable input.

Oceanbob
10-26-2010, 5:22 AM
And I have a long, well lit walkway leading to my front door. I can control the lites from inside. I have a peephole. A knock at 1AM would spotlight the cops. As a courtesy I would inquire thru the door......perhaps one of my family has been hurt in a car accident or...?

I would be holding my Glock 20.

Anyone who knocks can see my doormat.

http://i51.tinypic.com/33vykbt.jpg

keneva
10-26-2010, 5:58 AM
We live in the country and have had a problem with street racers. Call CHP enough times and problem solved. One night 3 hrs. after I called, officer pulls up and asked if I was the one that called in. I said yes and told him I was carrying. He said no problem and thanks for the call. 4 citations and one car impounded. End of street racers.
Home got broken into and sheriff Dept. shows up. Pointed out that I had a Glock on and 8 people in my back yard with SA 45's shooting some fast draw. Again, no problem. After he did his report, he watched some fast draw for a couple of minutes and asked if he could come back and try it out when he was off duty. You bet. Bring some buddies too.

Both times I told them I had a gun on and they didn't even bat an eye. At 1 am I would probably look to see a police car. If not, call 911 to verify.

nazgulnarsil
10-26-2010, 6:05 AM
And I have a long, well lit walkway leading to my front door. I can control the lites from inside. I have a peephole. A knock at 1AM would spotlight the cops. As a courtesy I would inquire thru the door......perhaps one of my family has been hurt in a car accident or...?

I would be holding my Glock 20.

Anyone who knocks can see my doormat.

http://i51.tinypic.com/33vykbt.jpg

doormat is win

rrr70
10-26-2010, 6:14 AM

Not so funny is it?

It did happen.

thebronze
10-26-2010, 6:21 AM

it was a joke in poor taste, getting E-angry isnt going to solve anything and it just makes you see uptight.

No. It makes YOU look just like what he said. The problem is what YOU said, not him.

nukechaser
10-26-2010, 6:24 AM
My motion detecting camera would have alerted me via my cellphone of their arrival before they even rang the bell. That would have promoted a quick panning of the area via the pan-tilt-zoom camera to locate the patrol car. Car out front? Probably real LEO.

Then I'd ask through the door, "Good evening, gentlemen. How may I help you?"

Depending upon their answer I'd check the veracity of their assignment via the non-emergency number of the agency. Probably all the contact would be through the door. I am sure they understand folks reluctance to open doors late at night.

As for being armed, my firearm isn't needed for their presence (if they're real LEO) and they probably assume everyone summoned to the door at oh-dark-thirty would do so armed if so inclined. Why add stress to their already stressful duty?

My firearm would be readily accessible, but not for the LEO, just for the bad guy if he/she decides to try to enter my home and I needed to protect myself or my son.

Another scenario would be to just be silent and let them do their jobs outside my home, without the need for any interaction or potential drama. I am sure they knock on doors sometime when no one answers. They'll then move on to the next task at hand and a phone call to dispatch will give the option of "Someone just knocked on my door at this ungodly hour. Do you have anyone in the area that can swing by and check my neighborhood out?" This then opens the door for a dialog about why they have officers in the area and anything discussed is captured on their voice logging recorder.

(checks pocket... yup, still have 98 cents left out of my dollar)

new1911
10-26-2010, 6:24 AM
Unless you called me first -

I'm not getting out of bed at 1:00am anyway.....

this. and you'll have knock pretty hard to wake me as the doorbells busted.

Purple K
10-26-2010, 6:58 AM
Simple... I iether set the pistol on the small table next to the door, or put it in my back pocket (if I have pockets on) and open the door. Since I have a security screen, I can safely open the inner door to see what's going on.

Rhythm of Life
10-26-2010, 7:23 AM
Sorry, not gonna open the door. I'll talk thru the door and call dispatch. Without seeing a warrant stuck up against the window, that door's not opening.

Pretty solid with this.

AJAX22
10-26-2010, 7:33 AM
With the reports of fake cops doin home invasion robberies, talk through the door, call dispatch to confirm that they are real. Keep gun in hand and out of sight behind closed an locked door untill conformation is given. Then shift it to holster or put it away.

Don't open the door.

greg36f
10-26-2010, 7:47 AM
I'm with those who say to call 911/dispatch. Best way to know if the folks at the door are legit. And yes, if you just flat know the cops and have a nice peephole that would work pretty well.

I'm really curious as to whether one of our good LEO's would care to weigh in and tell us what they'd recommend. I suspect that would be most valuable input.

Man, there are some seriously paranoid people here (Not you OleCuss). How about this; Confirm that it's LEO, set the gun aside, open the door and talk to them. Not to complicated is it? If they are there after you, they will probably have a warrant and just kick the door anyways, so you really loose nothing by opening the door.

Chances are that they are not there just to chat. They have a reason to be there and a need to talk to you. When you sit behind your locked door and refuse to engage, you pretty much give up your right to complain when a crime wave sweeps through your neighborhood (petty thefts, car thefts, vandalism) and the police "do nothing".

Every so often, I knock on a door at night and a full grown man stands there behind the door refusing to open up and talk to me. What the he** are so afraid of? You have two uniformed Leoís standing at your door. Do you think the bad guy is gonna take that moment to sneak on by them and steal your stuff?

It just seems so cowardly to me to be afraid to open your door. I mean, what is this country coming to? Be a man, open the door and engage in a conversation; confident that you actually have the fortitude to tell the LEO "NO!" if he asks to search.

It's your home. You can have a gun. Tell the LEO that you just need a second to set it down near the door. I have had this happen numerous times and I am fine with it.

JDoe
10-26-2010, 7:57 AM

Joking about killing someone has no place on Calguns. It is as distasteful as someone joking about proning out an innocent person, shooting them if they make a furtive movement and then getting a two week vacation.

FERGUSON
10-26-2010, 7:59 AM
I WONT OPEN THE DOOR BUT I WILL TALK THRU IT ONCE IVE LOOKED THRU A WINDOW AT THE VEHICLE AND THRU THE PEEP HOLE TO CONFIRM WHO THEY ARE...

AJAX22
10-26-2010, 8:00 AM
CAPSLOCK IS NOT YOUR FRIEND

MY FRIEND

dieselpower
10-26-2010, 8:02 AM
Simple... I iether set the pistol on the small table next to the door, or put it in my back pocket (if I have pockets on) and open the door. Since I have a security screen, I can safely open the inner door to see what's going on.

My buddy has one of those. You can't see through it unless the light is on inside and the pourch light is off.

So at 1am, the pourch light will go on and the livingroom light is off. He can open the door all the way and point a gun at you and you wouldnt be able to see him do it.

At night he always answers the door with a gun in his hand knowing full well the person can't see him.

1911 Fan
10-26-2010, 8:06 AM
After I identified LEO I opened the door unarmed and asked " Hello can I help you" My pistol was under a pillow on the couch.

guns4life
10-26-2010, 8:09 AM
I would have turned on the TV in my room and checked the 360 degrees of camera coverage I have on the house before I got up...without a gun in this case.

SVT-40
10-26-2010, 4:44 PM

Not angry. Just disgusted.

Remember the outrage over the Facebook comments by the A hole East Palo Alto detective?

Here were his comments:

Detective Roderick Tuason:

"Sounds like you had someone practicing their 2nd amendment rights last night! Should've pulled the AR out and prone them all out! And if one of them made a furtive movement...2 weeks off!!!"

Very little difference. Both outrageous. Both joking about murdering another individual.

With the exception the statement by 1SIG fan was made here in a public forum

Kynoch
10-26-2010, 5:05 PM
Man, there are some seriously paranoid people here (Not you OleCuss). How about this; Confirm that it's LEO, set the gun aside, open the door and talk to them. Not to complicated is it? If they are there after you, they will probably have a warrant and just kick the door anyways, so you really loose nothing by opening the door.

Chances are that they are not there just to chat. They have a reason to be there and a need to talk to you. When you sit behind your locked door and refuse to engage, you pretty much give up your right to complain when a crime wave sweeps through your neighborhood (petty thefts, car thefts, vandalism) and the police "do nothing".

Every so often, I knock on a door at night and a full grown man stands there behind the door refusing to open up and talk to me. What the he** are so afraid of? You have two uniformed Leoís standing at your door. Do you think the bad guy is gonna take that moment to sneak on by them and steal your stuff?

It just seems so cowardly to me to be afraid to open your door. I mean, what is this country coming to? Be a man, open the door and engage in a conversation; confident that you actually have the fortitude to tell the LEO "NO!" if he asks to search.

It's your home. You can have a gun. Tell the LEO that you just need a second to set it down near the door. I have had this happen numerous times and I am fine with it.
A voice of reason, thanks! My big concern would be verifying it was actually a LEO who is on the job and actually doing their job at the moment.

Other than that, the paranoia and anti-social behavior shown by some on this thread is fairly disconcerting...

Havoc70
10-26-2010, 5:08 PM
Since I only have one door, I'd verify it was LEO, and if it was, I'd set the firearm down, step outside and close the door behind me. If I couldn't verify it was LEO, I'd advise the real LEA that there were some imposters.

Given the state of affairs with Vallejo PD, I'd be more inclined to think they were imposters and not the real deal, I think there's less than a dozen on patrol at night in Vallejo.

curtisfong
10-26-2010, 5:09 PM
Since I only have one door, I'd verify it was LEO, and if it was, I'd set the firearm down, step outside and close the door behind me. If I couldn't verify it was LEO, I'd advise the real LEA that there were some imposters.

I would do exactly this as well. However, I would make sure the firearm was not visible from outside while the door was open.

morfeeis
10-26-2010, 5:36 PM
had this happen to me once before and this is the action I took, hey they're not looking for me so no need to open my door anyway. all they want to do is talk so we can do that through the door.

RGERBER
10-26-2010, 5:36 PM
always armed, day or night

pgg
10-26-2010, 5:39 PM
A uniformed officer pounded on our door at about 1 AM a couple months ago to tell us our garage was open and the light was strobing the neighborhood. I'd pushed the button to close our garage a couple hours earlier, but not watched it close. Our neighbor's cat is always trying to sneak in to go hang out by the dog food, so I figure she must've tripped the sensor ... door went back up, and the light blinked and blinked and blinked ... oops.

I didn't know this yet, so I went to the door with my cell in one hand, AR15 in the other, and a holstered pistol, but her patrol car was in view and she didn't look like either a gangbanger OR a stripper, so I set the rifle down behind the door before opening it the 4" the chain would allow.

We all hear about home invaders dressing up like cops, but real cops are usually obviously real cops and go out of their way to prove they're real cops (uniform, gear, haircut, bearing, standing in the light, patrol car with lights on parked in view of the door, etc). If in any doubt, a 911 call will either verify their legitimacy or get the real cops on their way.

She told me about my garage, I thanked her, that was it. Somehow I managed not to flash the RAW, rudely ignore the officer protecting my neighborhood, let The Man into my home, or put myself at risk.

I don't understand the dilemma. Maybe I'm reading too much into the consternation in this thread.

jeep7081
10-26-2010, 6:01 PM
while looking through that peep hole, i would be looking for marked cop cars in front of your house, looking at badges and uniforms as best i could. we live in an age where these sleazeballs are not afraid to play dress up and do a home invasion. ask some questions through the door, let them know you are gonna call dispatch to see if there is any calls at or around your address as you don't feel safe opening your door at that hour of the night. if there is reason for them to be at your door, this would give you plenty of time to put the gun back in the safe, if not, your prepared. they can send the real calvary to your house. they don't take kindly to people trying to pretend. im sure they will get their very quickly. as far as opening the door to the real cops with a gun on your hip, I wouldn't. you can do as you like, but i personally don't want to be proned out on the wet grass at 1am. All the cops would then rush to your house to backup their co-workers, and the real bad guy they were chasing probably gets away only to commit more crimes in your neighborhood in the future.

Great reply!

I take great comfort in the security and safety of the protections that my home provides. I would have no worries about being armed in my home. I would leave it in my holster. When talking to the police I would not open my security door only the wood one. We can talk just fine through the security door, family policy is to never invite the law inside.

Good policy. Went through the academy (not a LEO, got injured after academy) and even the instructor said he wouldn't let another officer in if one showed up without calling. If they come on official business, there not your friend. Get a warranty and play by the rules. No door gets open.

Rule .308
10-26-2010, 6:02 PM
last time it happened to me it was a pair of local LEOs on my porch at some ungodly hour of the night/morning, their cruiser in my driveway, I have a security door and two good sized dogs that were loosing their minds, a firearm was uneccesary. I opened my entrance door and introduced myself to the officers. They stated their business and it was legit so I stepped out onto the front driveway to discuss it with them. The few times I have had to interact with law enforcement at my home it has always been outside. I have only had one cop to obvious offense to it, too bad.

IrishJoe3
10-26-2010, 7:20 PM

Spot on. At work, (I am a LEO), if I am going to knock on your door and disturb you outside of business hours, there's a d*mn good reason for it; like your significant other was involved in a major wreck or was killed. Or we found your stolen wreck car down the street...or any number of things. If I am talking to you after hours I will be short, to the point, and as least as distruptive as possible, but if I am there it is because it is important.

NorCalDustin
10-26-2010, 7:45 PM

Great reply...

OleCuss
10-26-2010, 8:24 PM
Spot on. At work, (I am a LEO), if I am going to knock on your door and disturb you outside of business hours, there's a d*mn good reason for it; like your significant other was involved in a major wreck or was killed. Or we found your stolen wreck car down the street...or any number of things. If I am talking to you after hours I will be short, to the point, and as least as distruptive as possible, but if I am there it is because it is important.

I'm glad to hear from an LEO on this. Very valuable.

My concern is how to reasonably ascertain that it really is an LEO present. As it stands right now I'm inclined to call 911/dispatch and ask if they have an officer at my door. If they say yes, I'll come out to talk to the LEO without any weaponry.

What do you recommend?

IrishJoe3
10-26-2010, 9:39 PM
I'm glad to hear from an LEO on this. Very valuable.

My concern is how to reasonably ascertain that it really is an LEO present. As it stands right now I'm inclined to call 911/dispatch and ask if they have an officer at my door. If they say yes, I'll come out to talk to the LEO without any weaponry.

What do you recommend?

I can totally understand a homeowner wanting to confirm if it really is LEOs, I would probably do the same. One problem you may run into trying to do that through calling 911 is what agency is outside your door? CHP or a deputy may be outside, but you call 911 on your land line, you'll get the PD who won't have a clue. That'll result in you and the PD up in arms when it really is a legit situation. Likewise 911 calls on your cell typically go to CHP, so CHP won't have a clue if its your PD at your door. Additionally, the LEO may be working a call and through the course of it knocks on your door. The dispatch will have the officers on that call but your address may not be associated with the incident (example would be me handling a traffic accident where your parked car get smoked. Dispatch will be aware of me working the accident scene, but the call will be unaffiliated with your address. So if I knock on your door to let you know what happened and to give you a report number, dispatch may not put two and two together in which case you'd go through a needless scare).

Solution? Iíd say common sense. You know what your local LEOs look like (ie uniform). Chances are if you see a fully uniformed officer on your porch with a patrol car in the background, its probably legit. If something doesnít seem right, then donít open the door till you are comfortable. Use a peep hole and a porch light. If you donít have a peep hole, get one, they are $10 from home depot. I have heard of situations where the homeowner refused to open the door till they heard dispatch chatter from the officers hand held radio. Now, as an officer trying to wrap this call up and run to the next I might get a little annoyed going to that lengths, but I can understand from the homeowners point of view and hey, if thatís what I gotta do to make you feel at ease that Iím legit, thatís what I gotta do.

Bizcuits
10-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I would not open the door with a visible firearm... You are doing nothing, but asking for trouble. However this is also why you have security gates on your front door. You open the inner door and still have bars between you and them, so the conversation can begin in a polite manner.

Davidwhitewolf
10-27-2010, 2:33 PM
Man, there are some seriously paranoid people here...

Chances are that they are not there just to chat. They have a reason to be there and a need to talk to you. ...

Granted on the paranoia, but while I'm quite ready to assume cops at my door aren't there because of ME, I think the reason for everyone's concern is we don't know just why they're there. If they're there on a brandishing or "man with a gun" call, seems to me you could end up dead like this lady (http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=81905) all too quickly. Setting the gun down before you open the door, as you suggest, is I think a very good idea.

As for those posters who mentioned stepping outside (disarmed) while locking the door behind them, again, you don't know why the cop's at your door. A friend of mine in Davis did that not knowing the cop was there on a (bogus) DV call and got beaten to a pulp while the cop repeatedly yelled "you don't lock the door on me!" It was a bogus call by a neighbor who mistook my friend's wife's orgasmic keening for screams of pain, so I can understand the cop's concern, but still....