PDA

View Full Version : AR-10 Availability?

dhl
06-11-2006, 3:38 PM
Hi,

What's the latest word on an AR-10 off-list being available in California? I don't mean the Hesse either!

Thank you!

Joe

xenophobe
06-11-2006, 5:46 PM
It took all of 3 seconds to find this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=35561&highlight=308

Search is your friend. :p

dhl
06-11-2006, 6:00 PM
Right. So, where is AR-10 mentioned? Maybe next time you can do a search for that!

It took all of 3 seconds to find this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=35561&highlight=308

Search is your friend. :p

C.G.
06-11-2006, 6:20 PM
Right. So, where is AR-10 mentioned? Maybe next time you can do a search for that!

Armalite AR-10 is on the DOJ AW list. Hesse HAR-25 is the only AR-10 type lower available at this time that is not on the list.

BTW. my HAR-25 is not the prettiest thing cosmetically, but functions just fine.

five.five-six
06-11-2006, 7:32 PM
Armalite AR-10 is on the DOJ AW list. Hesse HAR-25 is the only AR-10 type lower available at this time that is not on the list.

BTW. my HAR-25 is not the prettiest thing cosmetically, but functions just fine.

I refiinished mine with brownells bake-o-finish and it looks much better. remember a hesse cali legal ar-10 is far better than no ar-10 :D I have not had a chance to fire mine yet but it appears to function just fine. I now have 3 uppers for mine

xenophobe
06-11-2006, 7:51 PM

It's not. AR-10 is a banned rifle. You cannot own one unless you purchased it before Jan 1, 2000.

I did a search for .308 AR and it came right up.

adamsreeftank
06-12-2006, 4:22 AM
Hi,

What's the latest word on an AR-10 off-list being available in California? I don't mean the Hesse either!

Thank you!

Joe

No such thing. The AR-10 is made by Armalite and it is ON LIST

xenophobe
06-12-2006, 4:50 AM
There are a couple of .308 AR type receivers that will be on the market in the next 3-6 months, but the Rock River will not be AR-10 compatible. It will be based off the DPMS? receivers. There will be another company coming out with one, but it will not be AR-10 compatable either. Noveske *may* have their own branded receivers cut by Armalite which would be AR-10 based, but that's more wishful thinking than anything at this point. There's been no commitment or even plans to produce this. Just a long term 'maybe'.

So, you can build a .308 AR, but not a AR-10 type rifle.

tman
06-12-2006, 7:54 AM
There are a couple of .308 AR type receivers that will be on the market in the next 3-6 months
Who are the manufactuers?

dhl
06-12-2006, 7:46 PM
Right. I know the AR-10 is on the list just like the AR-15 is on the list. What I'm looking for is an 'off-list' AR-10. Thank's for the input.

Who are the manufactuers?

adamsreeftank
06-12-2006, 11:24 PM
Right. I know the AR-10 is on the list just like the AR-15 is on the list. What I'm looking for is an 'off-list' AR-10. Thank's for the input.

Hesse, now sold by Vulcan.

With a little work, they will take a Hesse upper. With a bit more work, they will take an AR-10 upper.

xenophobe
06-13-2006, 12:25 AM

Did you NOT understand? THERE IS NO OTHER OFF LIST AR-10. Let me explain this again... The AR-10 is a proprietary standard owned by Armalite... NOT like the AR-15. The Hesse is the only receiver you can buy for an AR-10 because it is not quite an AR-10 in design for legal reasons.

There are 4 (technically 2) AR-10 receivers on the market... Knight's Armament SR-25, Armalite (and Eagle by Armalite) AR-10 and Hesse HAR-25. These are the only AR-10 receivers out there, and there are no other companies that will make, or are planning to EVER make the AR-10. The HAR-25 is not 100% AR-10 compatible. The SR-25 is only compatible because Eugene Stoner designed the SR-25 after he worked for Armalite while he was working at KAC before he died.

There will be several other .308 ARs on the market in the next 3-9 months. NONE of them will be AR-10 compatible. They are different designs. One of them is the RRA LAR-10 or the DPMS. There is another one, but it will be based off the DPMS system, but won't be cheap. There will be the MGI interchangable magwell system, but you'll be spending close to $1000 for the complete lower receiver assembly alone. The upper must use the MGI upper.

Supposedly there is the American Spirit Arms .308 receiver, but I do not know if it is AR-10 compatible at all and I haven't ever seen one or heard of anyone finding one.

C.G.
06-13-2006, 2:17 AM
Did you NOT understand? THERE IS NO OTHER OFF LIST AR-10. Let me explain this again... The AR-10 is a proprietary standard owned by Armalite... NOT like the AR-15. The Hesse is the only receiver you can buy for an AR-10 because it is not quite an AR-10 in design for legal reasons.

There are 4 (technically 2) AR-10 receivers on the market... Knight's Armament SR-25, Armalite (and Eagle by Armalite) AR-10 and Hesse HAR-25. These are the only AR-10 receivers out there, and there are no other companies that will make, or are planning to EVER make the AR-10. The HAR-25 is not 100% AR-10 compatible. The SR-25 is only compatible because Eugene Stoner designed the SR-25 after he worked for Armalite while he was working at KAC before he died.

There will be several other .308 ARs on the market in the next 3-9 months. NONE of them will be AR-10 compatible. They are different designs. One of them is the RRA LAR-10 or the DPMS. There is another one, but it will be based off the DPMS system, but won't be cheap. There will be the MGI interchangable magwell system, but you'll be spending close to $1000 for the complete lower receiver assembly alone. The upper must use the MGI upper.

Supposedly there is the American Spirit Arms .308 receiver, but I do not know if it is AR-10 compatible at all and I haven't ever seen one or heard of anyone finding one.

American Spirit is under. It remains to be seen whether someone will buy the defunct company or not.

xenophobe
06-14-2006, 12:23 AM
Supposedly American Spirit is still functioning... barely... in an underground sort of fashion... the website is gone, AR-15 forum died ages ago... But the owner has made contact with a couple of people about an off-list .308 earlier this year, but nothing ever came of it that I'm aware of.

adamsreeftank
06-14-2006, 1:53 AM
One more.

The ULTIMATE.

The MOST EXPENSIVE!!

The COBB MCR!!!!!!!!

AR Style lowers that will shoot everything from .223 to 338 Lapua.

http://www.cobb50.com/mcr.htm

C.G.
06-14-2006, 10:10 AM
One more.

The ULTIMATE.

The MOST EXPENSIVE!!

The COBB MCR!!!!!!!!

AR Style lowers that will shoot everything from .223 to 338 Lapua.

http://www.cobb50.com/mcr.htm

True, but at $1200 for just a lower I think I have to pass.