View Full Version : Can I ship shotgun/rifle through USPS?

10-25-2010, 2:25 PM
Im trying to sell a shotgun on the classifieds and looks like all my prospective buyers requires shipping. I have read and checked with UPS, looks like at least $80 minimum.

However, for regular mail, US postal mail, can I, non-FFL ship a shotgun specifically, to an FFL? say if the receiving FFL doesn't require me to go to FFL to send it. It said somewhere it is illegal for handguns but not for long guns.

my point is to keep the cost down.

any input will be appreciated. thanks!

10-25-2010, 2:28 PM
Yes, it is perfectly legal for a non-FFL to ship a long gun through the USPS. If you are shipping it to a FFL, you need to make sure that he/she is willing to accept shipments from non-FFLs. Some will, some won't. BTW, make the buyer pay shipping!

10-25-2010, 2:46 PM
yes, but it sounds like you got an expensive quote from UPS. Long guns can go UPS ground and it should be about the same as USPS.

10-25-2010, 3:00 PM
Actually i was looking into next day air. So that broadens up my choice then, it can go ground shipping with UPS and registered mail with USPS. I thought I was stuck with overnight shipping with UPS.

And yes, buyer will pay for shipping of course. I have the buyer check with their FFL if their FFL can take it from non-FFL. That was actually the first thing i had them do.

Thank you guys!

10-25-2010, 8:14 PM
Most FFLs, including myself, that will receive from a non-FFL require a color copy of your Driver's License or ID card. This is so we can log it into our books who we received the firearm from and the copy is kept with the DROS paperwork only...the buyer does not get a copy of it.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-25-2010, 8:48 PM
...I thought I was stuck with overnight shipping with UPS.

UPS requires overnight shipping for handguns. Long guns can go ground service.

FedEx Express requires all firearms to go overnight.

FedEx Ground lets long guns go ground (because that's the only service level FedEx Ground offers). FedEx Ground will not accept handgun shipments.