PDA

View Full Version : Handgun safety certificate

jvpark
10-25-2010, 1:56 PM
Does my handgun safety certificate need to be current if I am conducting a handgun PPT?

Librarian
10-25-2010, 2:01 PM
Only if you are receiving the handgun.

yzernie
10-25-2010, 8:10 PM
If you are the buyer, yes. If you are the seller, no.

jvpark
10-25-2010, 9:52 PM
My card had expired and I traded pistols with another party and the shop looked at the card but did not question the expiration

jtmkinsd
10-25-2010, 9:55 PM
My card had expired and I traded pistols with another party and the shop looked at the card but did not question the expiration

Obviously they didn't look hard enough...lol

So you did a DROS as a buyer and a DROS as a seller...and your HSC is expired? Did the FFL take a photo-copy of your HSC card?

tenpercentfirearms
10-26-2010, 5:38 AM

They are going to be screwed if they get audited and they find out. At this point you are best off to just be quiet about it. If it were my shop, I would let you take the test when you came in and I would simply cross out your old HSC number on the DROS and write in the new number along with the new copy. Some dealers though might flip and cancel the DROS and require you to start a new one.

So you are in a quandary, try and help the dealer out and do the right thing at the expense of being further delayed. Or keep your mouth shut and maybe the dealer gets a minor, minor infraction if the DOJ happens to catch it ten years from now?

Again, if it were my store, I would appreciate the honesty and would fix it right then and there with you and get you a new HSC card (I might even give you a discount on it). Not all FFLs are like me.